Is Cozumel a safe area right now?

M311

Hi, I'll be in Cozumel port next week. My soon-to-be husband and I have reservations at Nachi Cocum. We were just wondering if it is generally safe in Coz right now, as far as getting a cab or something to the resort. I realize that we should use common sense and that even our hometown is always somewhat unsafe, but I was just listening to the radio this morning about the increase in cartel activity and was wondering if Cozumel was affected by it.

Thanks!

Hi, I'll be in Cozumel port next week. My soon-to-be husband and I have reservations at Nachi Cocum. We were just wondering if it is generally safe in Coz right now, as far as getting a cab or something to the resort. I realize that we should use common sense and that even our hometown is always somewhat unsafe, but I was just listening to the radio this morning about the increase in cartel activity and was wondering if Cozumel was affected by it.

Thanks!

You will be fine we just visited Cozumel twice in february on a back to back cruise and never had any issue's.

We were in Cozumel in January and did not have any problems. You may see their police force at times driving around parts of the town with their guns but they did not bother us at all. Use common sense, behave and life is good. Enjoy your trip.

dj127

I was talking to our taxi driver as he spoke very good english and we had a long ride back from Passion Island he was saying they have had no problems and he lives right downtown , of course not sure they would tell us as it would hurt tourism.

I travel to the yucatan penisula a lot- you have nothing to worry about saftey wise. I felt more in danger drinking next to rude tourists in downtown Cozumel then I did eating out of a taco cart at 2am :)

We were on Cozumel in December, had no concerns for our safety beyond the usual wariness you must have being a tourist anywhere.

We went to Nachi CoCom...you will love it, great for honeymooners! It is about a 10 minute ride from the pier, the cab line is very organized right outside the shopping area at the pier. You will queue up, the cab organizer guy will wave up the next cab (not sure what he's called:rolleyes:) and you hop in a cab- and the fare is just what Nachi CoCom states. Do bring exact change though for you fare and tip, because the driver will claim not to have change (hoping you'll leave the whole $20 with him!;)) You will notice upon entering the resort that you pass through a gated entrance, I didn't see or expereince anything that made us uncomfortable anywhere along the drive or at the resort...have a wonderful time!

hi, i'll be in cozumel port next week. My soon-to-be husband and i have reservations at nachi cocum. We were just wondering if it is generally safe in coz right now, as far as getting a cab or something to the resort. I realize that we should use common sense and that even our hometown is always somewhat unsafe, but i was just listening to the radio this morning about the increase in cartel activity and was wondering if cozumel was affected by it.

Thanks!

we are also going to nc next week and wonder too. Wife works for gov. And they issued an advisory about mexico. Was also on cruise bruise dot com and a passanger from cruise ship was killed last month???????

I live very close to the mexico border - I wouild not cross over to our border towns in mexico as it is very dangerous. I would not hesitate to go to Cozumel - I felt very safe and had no concerns.

dj127

we are also going to nc next week and wonder too. Wife works for gov. And they issued an advisory about mexico. Was also on cruise bruise dot com and a passanger from cruise ship was killed last month???????

Don't make yourself a target (i.e. drunken fool) and you'll be fine. Border towns are sketchy at best, but cruise ports will be just fine. I seriously have never had ANY issues on the pacific side (cabo down to PV) or the Carribean side (Merida down to Tulum) whatsoever. I travel to Mexico to Tattoo which means many late nights walking to my hotel after a day at the shop. Embrace the culture and show some respect and you'll get the same in return. In fact I can honestly say that a smile has never gotten me further than it has in Mexico :D

Logistically, Coz wouldn't really fit in to the whole drug-smuggling operation, since it's not remotely close to the US mainland compared to other places in Mexico, and the goal of the cartels is to get their product over the border and into the US. It's been said before, but expecting all of Mexico to be dangerous because of cartel activity is like expecting the entire state of California to be dangerous because of Oakland. A quick google search on Cozumel safety mostly brings up water sport accidents as the biggest danger.

I have hear of only one instance of an extortion report of a hotel owner on the island. Contrast this with the mainland, where extortion is far more rampant. We will be there in April, and I have no concerns above what I might have in an area such as Downtown Crossing in Boston... :p

If shopping area downtown is known as a safe zone, I wonder about the other areas?

We were there in December and only shopped where they say it is safe (for what it's worth) and felt fine. We were two families of 4 with a 6'1 former football player by my side:).

Just be careful and use your instincts... Cruise exursions are your safe bet in Mexico right now.

I just wouldn't venture out on my own. It's like leaving the keys in the car. Would someone take it? Maybe or maybe not....

Don't make yourself a target (i.e. drunken fool) and you'll be fine. Border towns are sketchy at best, but cruise ports will be just fine. I seriously have never had ANY issues on the pacific side (cabo down to PV) or the Carribean side (Merida down to Tulum) whatsoever. I travel to Mexico to Tattoo which means many late nights walking to my hotel after a day at the shop. Embrace the culture and show some respect and you'll get the same in return. In fact I can honestly say that a smile has never gotten me further than it has in Mexico :D

How much do they charge for tatoos in Mexico?? or Cozumel??

Good day!

I will be taking my second cruise to Cozumel March 31st, just a couple of weeks away! My first was November 2010 and there was not any sign of unrest, parnoia, disturbances within the port area. I didn't even hear any concerns from the other guest aboard the ship. In fact, I wasn't even aware that I should have been slightly concerned about traveling to Mexico until I returned to the U.S.!

I'm grateful for this thread because this time, I am traveling with 2 "cruise virgins" and they are a tad concerned. I will print out this thread and share your feedback so that they don't have to just take MY word for it ;). Thank you so much!

-fab5forty

I will be on Oasis in May and am interested in finding out more about this excursion. Whoever has done this, did you book it through the ship or directly through a company? I saw an ad for it with a private company but would like to know how it compares to the ship as far as cost and also getting to the starting point from the ship. Do they tell you certain areas to stay in so that you know you will be safe? Would you recommend this for a group with teenagers? Is it all strictly walking or do you have to use taxis or some other transportation? Thanks for any info you can give me.

• 4 weeks later...
How much do they charge for tatoos in Mexico?? or Cozumel??

it's just like the states- it completely depends on the artists and or the shop. I generally don't adjust my rates at all unless I'm tattooing somewhere less touristy.

Archived