Who has done horseback riding in Belize?

crystalgirl

Who has any experience with horseback riding excursions in Belize? It is kind of a tradition we have. Every time we go on vacation, we try to work in one horseback riding trip. We are not experienced riders by any stretch of the imagination, but we try to go once a year. I think that horseback riding through the rainforests in Belize would be amazing! The only one that I have heard anything about was www.belizecruiseexcursions.com. And I just heard that they have them. Nothing really about them.

So has anyone booked through them before? What was your experience? Have you booked with anyone else before that you recommend?

Thanks for any info that you can offer!

Jeannette

We did the Horseback riding excursion with http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.com in June of 2004. It was my wife and I and our two kids ages 5 and 12 (at the time). Overall, it was enjoyable, however there were a few rough spots:

- The area you ride through was not really much of "jungle", at least in the way that I think a jungle should look. You could always look up and see the sky and there was really never a typical jungle canopy.

- The spa time at the end was really nothing special and the food for sale was VERY expensive. We ended up sharing two entree's between the four of us and it still cost nearly $60!

- One the kids from another family fell off his horse and was nearly stepped on and the guide didn't seem to have been prepared to handle an emergency, had there been one.

As I said earlier, we had fun, but I don't think it was worth the $250 or so that we spent. The guides were friendly and helpful. We cruise almost exatly the same time of year that you are going to. I hope this helps you decide.

Hope you have a great cruise!

My 12 yr old rode alone in Dec 2004. I talked to both guides and promised to "find" them if anything happened to her. Also some nice people we met (husband, wife and teenager) promised to watch her. She loved it, my only comment was that for the $ we spent- I think it was like 50 or 60, I don't believe she was gone 60 minutes, it was more like 35-40. They walked through the town and then rode on the beach. She was happy, so I didn't say too much. Plus, it was hot and she couldn't wait to get into the water and cool off.

Years ago we rode in Cancun through the jungle and it was so hot and oppressive I can tell you I would never do it again. Also the ground was like lava and the horses walked so slowly we never even got to trot. We did not see any animals and our guide later told us that people ride out ahead to scare off the tarantulas (sp?). We saw a bunch at the ranch. Life is very different in other countries. But that's what makes it interesting, right? JYL

Thanks so much for your responses! Now, just a couple more questions!

jrnylander - I picture in my head a lush Brazillian rainforest. So, it isn't so?! Even though you aren't under a forest canopy, is it still beautiful and scenic? Do you see much wildlife? I have two sons ages 3 1/2 and 8 1/2. So, their ages are close to what yours were on your trip. Did your 5 year old ride by himself? How did he do? I have e-mailed them, and they said that the 8 yo would be fine to ride by himself, and the 3 yo will ride with me. As far as the spa time at the end, we really were just planning on using the pool. It is discouraging to hear how much the food was though! I am also not as concerned about the guides being emergency trained. They absolutely should be, don't get me wrong, but my DH is a firefighter/paramedic, so I would probably trust him more than the guides anyway! I guess, I just need to know if you and your family enjoyed the excursion?

JYL - How long ago did your DD go? I was told that the riding portion was 1.5 hours. I would be very disappointed if it was just 30 minutes! Was there some kind of problem that made them shorten the trip? Or maybe the tour has changed since then? That does give me some more questions to ask the company!

Anyone else with some experience for me?!

Jeannette

crystalgirl - It wasn't very lush, more of a savannah than a forest. At times it was forest-like, but mostly the vegetation was bushes and low-lying plants, some trees. I am from Southern California where it doesn't take much to be considered lush and I was disappointed that it wasn't more like what I pitcured in my head.

As far as wildlife is concerned, we saw one monkey, a small alligator and a few birds.

Our five year old rode with mom and he did great. Our twelve year old daughter rode by herself and did fine also. We did have a good time and I am sure you will too, but it wasn't what I expected. The ride lasted about an hour. The pool was good, but not too big; about the size of a small backyard pool.

Have a great time!

Archived