belize cave tubing

Belize Bound

We also just booked with Yhony. Susan, do you remember who your guide was? Did you jump into the water, or how did you get in? What ship were you sailing? Just wondered if you had plenty of time? If time allows, we also want to stop for lunch.

Thanks,

Sandy

We went with Yhony last month and Eloy was our guide. I can't say enough good things about him. He took good care of everyone, we lagged behind a few times and he would always come back for us. You have a choice of jumping in at 12' or lowering into your tube at about 2-3 feet. Most of us took the easy way!

Forgot to mention, these guys know they have to get you back on time, if you were to miss the ship their reputation would be shot. We didn't worry about time at all. In fact, we had time for a look at the shops around the pier before we took a tender back.

Eloy made arrangements for lunch for an additional $5. There is a place right where you pick up your tubes. They had it it ready for us when we returned. It was very good: chicken, beans & rice, cole slaw and bread.

We just got back Saturday and went tubing with RegTours (http://www.regtour.com/) on 3/2/05. Lionel was our guide and we had a great time. There were only 4 people in our group while other groups we saw had 40+. He went out of his way to make sure all our questions were answered and he told us alot of interesting things about Belize. Maybe because our group was so small but on the way back after lunch he stopped off at a grocery store so we could pick up a few things at prices much lower than the pier. He also took us on a mini-tour of the downtown area. Overall it was a great experiance and I would hightly recommend RegTours.

just got back sunday from explorer of the seas. we booked our cave tubing with royal. we had a very bad time. was not the leisure day we had planned. the tour was REALLY overbooked, long lines waiting to get in the river. once in the water we where rushed along, made to paddle the whole way, instead of letting the current carry us. which was hard for some of the older folks.the water was very shallow in spots. lots of ragged rocks sticking up out of the water. had to leave our water bottles back at the bus. when you exit the cave there was a very strong smell of sewage waste, right where they was fixing the food. my brother-n-law was threated by one of the guards there, he was told that they didnt want us in there caves, that they kept there weapons in there and they could shoot us all and there was nothing the united states could do for us. there was several men with weapons on there backs. we have complained to royal, they are gonna issue a refund to us. I had done lots of research on this and it looked like a awesome time, i had heard nothing but very good reviews aabout this trip. but our day was far from good. i had planned this tour as a birthday gift for my husband. well needless to say the day was a bust. Belize is not ready for royal or any other ship! to many soliders with weapons, was kind of scary! i was very disappointed with the whole thing. it was nothing like royal or the people on these boards described. i hate to sound negative but it was a very bad day!!!:mad: our tour guides were great, they helped us make the most of the day.

Our guide was Gilley. He was great.

We didn't enter at the point where you jump in. We just walked in and sat down.

He was great...took great care of us. After the tour, he will offer to be your guide for the rest of the day, if you want to hire him. He'll drive you to great local restraunts, show you the island, take you to the best shopping places not near the ship.

He was also really great about keeping us away from the really large, cruiseship excursions of many people. He'd time things so we had the river to ourselves without 50 other people around us.

2fromTN - After cave tubing with Reggie did you have time to shop before going back to the ship??? I really enjoyed your pictures, I've emailed them to my husband and our other friends who are going on the cruise with us. I'm the only one that has the "habbit" of reading the boards, but I'm so informed!! Thanks for you help.

Dear Friends here are some tips

Went Cave tubing with Princess - We went with the ship due to the fact that we were on a limited time frame. There were 500 people on the tour - 5 bus loads - never saw a snake.

Positives -

Cool experience to walk thru an actual rain forest - it was pouring rain -

The caves were neat to see, l (water was cool) - water was crystal clear.

Negatives

Our head lamps were not "bright enough" to actually see the formations in the caves.

The changing room "lockers" are little thatched huts with no security - if you don't want to lose it - don't bring it -

The bathrooms are not adequate to accomodate the amount of people on the tours - they stopped working when we were there.

The life vests you have to wear stink of mold and mildew :( - you will stink like those vests the whole time, and will be anxious to wash your clothes when you get back to the ship.

Most people on the tour were chilled to the bone before we ever got into the rivers - because it was raining cats and dogs and they weren't dressed properly.

Water was on the very cool side - good thing we wore "dive skins" to retain body temperature - hubby and I were the only ones "warm".

Could not hear the tour guide - there were so many people screaming - could not learn a thing.

The bus ride - The bus driver drove off the road at 70 mph to pass a house being moved on the road - yup - I said it - a house - We thought the bus was gonna tip over - we were terrified.

Would I do it again - no way - not worth 99.00 - glad I did it - yes - I can say I did it once.

Hey DarSee

Some of the timing will depend on departure time and your groups choices and fitness level. We went with Lionel from RegTours and left at 7:15 and were back to the port at 12:00. We stopped for gas and drinks and were in rush hour traffic in Belize City. Upon arrival he asked if we wanted to see as much as we could see or take it leisurely and see less. We took in as much as we could see. It was 2 or 3 caves. I will say that all the people in our small group were very fit and we worked well together. The tour companies MAIN focus though was when did we need to be back to port. We said 1:00 and they got us back at 12:00 to stroll around a bit. Had an excellent time.

Hi, I recently took the tour, it was fascinating, my family loved it. To be honest, I'm not a great swimmer, and I had a young child with me, but the tour company I took was very good. They took extra precaution with my child, so I felt very safe. I was honest in the beginning and told the guide that I was not a good swimmer. The company I went with was A-1 Travel, I paid $60.00, and they took us to areas that no one else went. Our guide really made it lots more fun. You can email them if you like at attbelize@hotmail.com, or call them at 1-877-5BELIZE. Tell them Fred sent you if you decide to try them.

People...this person has posted this very statement on every Belize cave tubing thread....looks like a scam to me

Archived