Best Authentic Food

lagirl85

We are going to Progresso in May and don't have anything planned except to relax on the beach and walk around exploring the town a little. So the only thing I really really want to get out of Progresso is a good, authentic meal. Have any of you been recently and have a suggestion? Doesn't have to be right on the beach or super cheap, just has to be good :p

Thanks!

An authentic meal at the beach would be fried fish and you can get that at most beachfront restaurants like St Bonnet. If you wanted to try a whole whack of local things go to Eladios bar and order a round of beer. The table will fill with a selection of "botanas" which are local snacks, kinda like a tapa place. Order another round and a new set of botanas will appear. THe more you order, the better the botana gets.

Either option (head-on fried fish and botanas) are local favorite meals at the beach and very authentic.

For good Yucatecan food I suggest coming into Merida and eating at La Tradicion or La Chaya Maya.

Hope this helps!

Merida is about 20-25 minutes away from Progreso. That's the 'official' time and in that time you will reach the outer limits of Merida. But if you want to get downtown you will need closer to an hour, because of traffic.

Chaya Maya is downtown on 62 street near the Plaza Grande and La Tradicion is on 60 street across from the US consulate.

To get downtown I would suggest the bus, as my esteemed colleageue Dawson points out; it's 3 dollars approx. A cab will be more expensive. Take the bus to Merida, explore, eat and then splurge on the cab back to Progreso to get you there quickly.

Eladios is right there on the beach - you can't miss it. It's at the beginning of the malecon or boardwalk. I believe they have the fenced in Corona Beach Club in front of it.

Speaking of that concept, what is attractive about being in a pen for hours like a Kobe steer getting beer poured down your throat?

Archived