Cave Tubbing Questions ??

sixthree

The shoe question is mainly your preference. I wore the rubber soled water shoes and my dh wore the sandles. Both of us did fine in what we wore. Comfort would be the main concern. Whatever you have that is the most comfortable will probably work the best for you.

If you bring the digital camera you can leave it in the van, which is locked and very safe. There were a couple of people who had digital cameras in our group and they had some high-tech waterproof bag that they kept it in while they floated down the river. They used it to photograph the plants/views on the walk through the jungle but didn't use it once we got to the water. I guess it depends on what you want to photograph with the digital camera.

Thanks Cruisinhs !! I think I want to go with the sandals just because I can wear in and out of the water . . I just don't want to get bit on my feet during the walk on the trail. Thanks again

The only thing we saw on the trails were ants. We live in Texas so we are used to watching for and avoiding ants completely. But we only saw ants walking across the trail about twice during the whole walk.

I recommend the sandals with straps. Both people in my group had them and were plenty fine. Also saw no animals, so no worries about getting bit.

When it comes to a camera, I know what it feels like to ruin a digital camera. Be safe! I recommend you goto a local dive shop and purchase a one time use waterproof camera, but the most important thing is to make sure their is a flash. I was the only one out of my group with a flash and everyone wished they had one like it.

The excursion is amazing can't wait to do it again in the future!

Thanks Jbeefy, a waterproof camera was on the list of things to get. I still want to bring my digital, just not to the actual river, but for everywhere else that day. It's like an 7 hour exscursion, right ?

Just back from the XSteam Cave tubing tour and loved it!

My pic's didn't work out all that well, a disposable Fuji, no flash.

It was a cloudy day, and it rained off and on. Frankly, everyone was cold (24 in our group, 80 in the one behind us... all shivering). A bit of a shorty wet suit would have been nice the day we went. You're heat may vary.

If you have a REALLY good water bag (one like they sell for white water rafting) You could at least take you digi cam and get GREAT shots on the walk up, and at several spots towards the end of the raft. I wish I'd brought my digi cam in my water bag.

My 2 cents

I went through X-Stream, http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/CaveTubingBelize.htm which I recommend. If I remember right it was about 5-6 hrs including the transportation. I also left my digital camera in the locked up van, but I took a risk, which worked out fine. If you want to bring your digital make sure it is safe in a waterproof case. Also keep the camera on the front of your body, sometimes your butt or backside, will drag on the bottom (shallow waters). It doesn't hurt, but a camera could take some abuse. Maybe even wrap a sock around it and put it in a waterproof bag for extra protection. Have fun!

Dear Friends here are some tips

Went Cave tubing with Princess - We went with the ship due to the fact that we were on a limited time frame. There were 500 people on the tour - 5 bus loads - never saw a snake.

Positives -

Cool experience to walk thru an actual rain forest - it was pouring rain -

The caves were neat to see, l (water was cool) - water was crystal clear.

Negatives

Our head lamps were not "bright enough" to actually see the formations in the caves.

The changing room "lockers" are little thatched huts with no security - if you don't want to lose it - don't bring it -

The bathrooms are not adequate to accomodate the amount of people on the tours - they stopped working when we were there.

The life vests you have to wear stink of mold and mildew :( - you will stink like those vests the whole time, and will be anxious to wash your clothes when you get back to the ship.

Most people on the tour were chilled to the bone before we ever got into the rivers - because it was raining cats and dogs and they weren't dressed properly.

Water was on the very cool side - good thing we wore "dive skins" to retain body temperature - hubby and I were the only ones "warm".

Could not hear the tour guide - there were so many people screaming - could not learn a thing.

The bus ride - The bus driver drove off the road at 70 mph to pass a house being moved on the road - yup - I said it - a house - We thought the bus was gonna tip over - we were terrified.

Would I do it again - no way - not worth 99.00 - glad I did it - yes - I can say I did it once.

Archived