Tsunami question

eddmel

in port at Beijing and then in ports in China; doesn't go to Japan until 3/18 when they are at Hiroshima. Thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan and the other Pacific Islanders.

Where exactly is the Nautica right now?

Since we are in California and live directly on the beach..we are at our daughters house.. My window washer was there this morning and at least if we lose our house it will have clean windows..Wish us luck!!

jancruz1

So far in Northern CA the only damage has been to boats and harbors. Crescent City seems to have been hit the worst by a 8' wave and their harbor completely destroyed.

We are home..had big waves but none that reached us..just bad riptides now and I have no intention of going in the water..although we do have surfers ou there..

Jancruz1

We are home..had big waves but none that reached us..just bad riptides now and I have no intention of going in the water..although we do have surfers ou there..

Jancruz1

Jan,

So happy everything is safe and sound, not a good day for Window Washing tho. :p

Jill

Last March we were aboard the SilverSea, Silver Shadow, bound for Honolulu when there was a tsunami alert as a result of the earthquake in Chile.

Our ship was not allowed into the harbor and we floated about off the coast till the alert was lifted.

When the ship eventually docked in the afternoon, because the security force at the harbor had been sent home, no passengers, except a couple ending their cruise there, were allowed ashore.

We watched as the captain pleaded with the harbor security officials to allow pax to disembark but he was unsuccessful and 350 very unhappy people sat on board till we departed late that night.

We are currently in Honolulu for the annual board meeting of our Waikiki condo tonight. If the tsunami hit, our condo probably would have suffered damages to it's lobby and commercial offices on the ground level. We are staying with our son who lives on a hill away from the tsunami zone.

We were up until nearly 4 am because the sirens were blaring and we were preparing for an island-wide electrical shut-down that would have probably happened if the worse case scenario came to pass. We are on the 17 th floor and when the electricity shuts down, we have no elevators working and no water being pumped upstairs. All the yachts and pleasure boats in the marina were told to go out to sea by 2 am or face major damages if a tsunami hits. Late this morn when we woke up, we could see lots of boats out in the ocean heading back into port. I'll bet those captains are absolutely exhausted, as are we. Luckily (?), today is Furlough Friday and state employees are off and all public schools are closed.

Not sure what damages occurred in the islands because the tv has no local news, just Japan coverage. Guess we'll find out when we get in the car and listen to the radio. I think it'll be minimal or there would be breaking news.

I think a number of flights coming to the islands that were supposed to arrive this morn were cancelled.

Archived