Vieques Island Bio Bay

kmdintx

We're getting to San Juan a day early for our RCCL cruise and we were thinking about going to the Bio Bay on Vieques Island. We were thinking about doing it on our own. Does anyone know if we can take a taxi to Fajardo maybe and then pick up a boat to the island? If so, does anyone have any taxi driver/boat recommendations for us? Approximately how long would it take us to get there and how much do you think it would cost? Is this something we should even be thinking about doing on our own or do we really need a tour?

TIA,

Kim

I'm going in THREE days early for the same purpose. (And becasue I want to spend some extra time on Vieques!)

There are cabs from the airport to where you catch the ferry. You COULD rent a car and drive it yourself--but I'm told none of the car companies will let you take their cars onto the ferry and across to Vieques. If you've got the time, you MIGHT want to rent a car ONE-WAY simply to do a bit more sight-seeing along the way.

Second, you will need to watch the ferry schedule. That is available on line a number of places.

Third, finding a place to stay on the Island for one night might be a bit of a problem. I found that Vieques is not very developed and thus, most of the accomadations are more 'personal'--which is good, but also has a down side--they want someoen to stay more than one day...

I'll try to post a couple of links for you when I get overto the office...(That's the computer that has my bookmarks on it...)

GOOD LUCK!

• 2 months later...

WOW! The Vieques bio-bay is absolutely FANTASTIC! WOW! WOW! WOW! There are not words to describe this! We did it through Blue Caribe Kayak Rental--they did a GREAT job with us. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Can you tell me more about the Blue Caribe Kayak rental tour you did? What did it include and what did it cost? Were you required to stay on the island that night? We will be in San Juan from June 10 - 12, and are renting a car, but we didn't think it was possible to see the biobay without staying on the island. This is something we'd really like to do, so any info would be helpful.

BTW, my daughter's married name is Pyle too!

Thanks for your help!

I'm the historian/geneologist of our clan--group settled in Middle TN in the late 1800s/early 1900s in Franklin County.

Martin

Hi Martin, my sister is our geneologist, we're having our second Pyle family reunion next month- the first had over 100- lots of little ones. The biobay will have to wait until our next trip to SJ. We just didn't have the time before or after our last cruise- and there was a new moon :(!

Hey--let's have the next reunion on Vieques! What a WONDERFUL island... OK, back on topic...

There IS a biobay on Puerto Rico. From what I hear, it's good--but the one on Vieques is the best. And since I can't make a real comparsion, it was an amazing phenomenon to see.

SO--here are the basic facts:

1. we went "no moon"--

2. We stayed on the island of Vieques---I think you pretty much would HAVE to do that. (NOT the case if you visit the PR biobay...)

3. We rented a small tracker--were able to drive wherever we wanted to go/etc.

4. If you rent a car in PR, you CANNOT take it across to Vieques...they companies won't let you AND the ferry service is---interesting....

5. We had a guide put us a trip together to the rainforest; he ALSO does biobay tours of the bay on PR. I would HIGHLY recommend him (Jerry at Couqie PIE tours--check him out on the boards here...)

I had the same situation. We are leaving on our cruise June 5th and I desperately wanted to do the bio bay before we went. I researched this thoroughly and the only way I could find to do it without actually staying a night in Vieques was through East Wind Excursions. They leave from Fajardo. They have a trip planned for June 4th. They take you on a catamaran to Vieques to a restaurant for dinner, then you board quiet electric boats that take you to the bay. You can jump in for a swim or just observe. It costs $100 pp and lasts from 5:00 until 10:30pm. Check out www.eastwindcats.com and look under the powercat excursions or contact jayanne@eastwindcats.com. I've read some great reviews on this and I'm looking very forward to it!:D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are all anxious to hear how your trip with East Wind went. My husband and I are going next March to PR and staying three days precruise. I would LOVE to do this tour. Please tell us good things!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an email I received on Tuesday of this week from East Island excursions. It was from Jayenne@eastwindcats.com.

Good afternoon. Thank you for your inquiry. Please be informed that for

the

date of January 21 we have verified with the company that does the

excursion

on the Bio Bay and they informed us that the date is excellent. We do

not

have transportation available for night time excursions. We can

recommend a

driver for you to make your arrangements with directly if you so

desire. I

am forwarding additional information on the Bio Bay excursion.

BIO-BAY: Thank you for your inquiry about our BIO-BAY tour in Vieques.

We

depart the Puerto del Rey Marina in Fajardo at 5:00 pm returning at

10:30

pm. Upon leaving Marina Puerto del Rey, our guests enjoy the

breathtaking

views of Puerto Rico's east coast, and the mountains of El Yunque.

After a

short cruise along the north coast of the island of Vieques, we arrive

at

the small town of Isabel Segunda, where guests are taken by van or bus

to a

local restaurant for a casual local style dinner. The Bioluminescent

bay

tour begins at 7:15, (or 6:15 in the wintertime). The information

center

offers the opportunity to learn about the marine ecosystem of the

bio-bay,

observe the organisms under microscope, and meet the marine critters,

residents of the aquariums there. Guests are taken by bus down a bumpy

dirt

road to the bay where they are treated to a guided tour in (quiet)

electric

motor boats and can enjoy swimming in the brilliance of the world's

most

prolific bioluminescent waters. A truly magical experience! Guests

should

be at the marina by 4:15 pm and bring a towel and swim suit if they

would

like to swim, which we highly recommend! Guests may want to bring cash

to

purchase alcoholic drinks at the restaurant, or for gratuities. Piña

coladas, rum punch, sodas and snacks are served onboard the Island

Flyer.

Beers are $2.00 each. The price is $99.00 per person, which includes

the

tour at the Bio-Bay in electric boats, dinner at a local restaurant and

land

transportations in Vieques. This is a wonderfully enjoyable and

educational

trip! You can call our office at 1-877-937-4386 for further information

or

to confirm your reservation. We require a credit card to guarantee the

spaces of your reservations. Thank you for selecting EAST ISLAND

EXCURSIONS

for your sailing adventure! Joey Hiraldo, Marketing Manager

I have contacted a friend in San Juan and she is doing some research for me about this company...I'll post her comments as I get them.

wow..that is sad..I have emailed this same guy like three times for the upcoming trip on sept 3rd..i have heard back from them only the one time I very first emailed and didn't get as much info as you did...

I had to read on here somewhere that usually they don't fill up til the week prior as most people don't make excursions till they get there, so I will just call the week prior to my trip and make sure they got me taken care. Their communications suck badly...but I have heard it is a great time and have yet to hear a bad review of the trip...

thanks for letting me know they aren't out of business...the one thing aobut their email to you that sounds strange is

"date of January 21 we have verified with the company that does the

excursion

on the Bio Bay and they informed us that the date is excellent"

what the heck does that mean? I thought they themselves did that..but they must have another company that does the actual trip from the van into the bio bay...I know of biobay.com but they say you have to be spending a night in vieques..maybe it is same company, but you get there via the catamaran and they take care of scheduling it...

thanks

fuz

jeff

Fuz

Heres a link to the company that East Island Excusions apparently hand you off to.

http://www.zonai.com/gotosite.asp?url=http://www.biobay.com

My friend in San Juan says that Island Adventures Biobay Eco-tours are the best in their field but she hadn't heard of East Island Excursions.

Ahh thanks for the link! I had found an obscure post on this message board that said they had been told by the company that they usually don't fill up their required numbers til the week before their trips, since most people don't worry about shore excursions till the date gets real close. I finally got a reply from them yesterday stating the same thing. Unfortunately the only way to see the biobay on Vieques without spending the night is through east wind cats. Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been emailing them also, and have been pre-reserved for our tour on November 19th. They also sent another email with the name of a driver to contact about getting to the port from San Juan. They also told me over the phone that our party of 4 are the only ones so far on that date, but not to worry, as many don't book until much closer to the date. I was told to call the week before and confirm that the trip is a go. They need 12 to make the trip. I really want to do this, so I am hoping we will have more people wanting to do this that date. We are going on the day we return from the Southern Carribean on the Golden Princess.

I have just spoken to them by phone (they didn't return my message from Aug. 22). They took my name, and promised to call me back with confirmation of my 11/25/05 date. However, since there are only 2 in our party, they will not take a "reservation" until closer to the date. They have to have 12 to make the trip.

I was given two names for transportation from San Juan: Noel @ 787-370-9243 and Hector @ 787-449-2267. I understand their charge is by the number of people in your party.

This is our only chance to do the tour, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Does anyone know if transportation to Fajardo can be arranged through your hotel?

• 4 weeks later...

OTRlady, I have just sent a reservation request in through the www.eastwindcats.com web site for 11/25/05 as well. So, there are 2 more people now who want to make the trip to Vieques. I will let you know what they tell me on the total head count.

I have not made our hotel reservation yet, but my sister and I would be interested in sharing transportation to and from Fajardo with you.

We are on the RCCL Serenade of the Sea leaving on 11/26/05.

Lana

Archived