I wish X would implement some of these procedures found on HAL

flagger

On two HAL cruises there were occasions when our cabin was not made up until the afternoon, even though we were out of the cabin early and didn't return until after lunch. This is an annoyance but not a deal breaker. It has never happened on Celebrity.

Sheila

Funny, Mrs. Bodger was saying this morning that Celebrity was late in making up our cabin and she didn't recall that problem on HAL.

I expect it can happen on any ship, just the luck of the draw. I try and give our steward a heads up if I can find him that the cabin is vacant.

Bodger

I recently asked this question about going to your cabin before 1:00-2:00 and someone replied yes you can.....so does it vary from cruise to cruise?

I go by the cabin, and if it is ready drop the carry-on, pull the door closed and go have lunch. The cabin is usually ready and there has never been an issue.

Just be flexible and let them do there work.

Bodger

NCL is similar when it comes to disembarkation/last day. They make it a point to let you know that even though it is your last day you are still on vacation so enjoy it. You are allowed to stay in your cabin (no vacating at a specific time and waiting around the ship until your color is called), allowed to order room service breakfast, etc. I just find this more civilized and it really does allow you to enjoy your final morning without feeling like you being pushed off this ship. My first Celebrity cruise is coming up (after being an NCL cruiser for all of our previous 4) and this really is the only thing that has me concerned (although it the grand scheme of things it really isn't huge deal).

When we sailed the Gem out of NYC, we were definitely not given the option to enjoy our last day. In fact, disembarkation fell apart, and we were not off until almost 11 AM, after nigh on three hours in the lounge. So I guess this is not a consistent practice.

When we sailed the Gem out of NYC, we were definitely not given the option to enjoy our last day. In fact, disembarkation fell apart, and we were not off until almost 11 AM, after nigh on three hours in the lounge. So I guess this is not a consistent practice.

What you experienced is not the norm. On 4 NCL cruises that I have been on what I described is normal operating procedure...what happened in your case is an extreme exception.

Just returned from the Eclipse. We were onboard by noon and went to drop off our carry-ons in our cabin as we always do. the doors on the cabin hallways were closed and locked. No one could get to their cabin until the announcement was made at 1 PM that cabins were ready.

Lastly I only went to the trivia once on the Connie. People who were on back-to-back got perfect scores as it was the same one! Hardly fair.:mad:

Bodger

And people didn't point out that they had already had these trivia questions? It never ceases to amaze me what people will do to win a pen or a luggage tag :)

Frankly I like the Celebrity smoking policy much better than HAL. After having an expensive 23 day b2b ruined by smokers out on their balconies, I don't mind waiting a short while to get my cabin when boarding Celebrity. We have 10 HAL cruises under our belts, but one bad experience ruined it for us so we exclusibely go on Celebrity now.

I have loved most of my Celebrity Cruises and I know of all people there is a line for everyone, but having sailed two weeks ago on HAL's Eurodam, I wish there were a few things that X would copy, borrow, steal and implement a few procedures we experienced.

I still enjoy Celebrity and love their ships and am Elite with them so I am not in a hurry to leave them forever, but these particular procedures were great:

HAL has started a new program called Stateroom Direct where all of the guest staterooms are turned within a minimum of 90 minutes. What does this mean? For a guest, it means as soon as you can board the ship you can go right to your stateroom and drop off your luggage. No more carting and rolling around carry-ons until 1 or even 2 pm waiting for the fire doors to be opened and access granted.

On the final night, we did not find our robes gone, the fridge/mini-bar locked. In the morning, we ordered room service! Imagine that? Ate it in the comfort of our room and could have remained their until our time to get off the ship which for us was between 9:45 and 10 a.m. At one point, someone was on our balcony straightening everything up having opened the partition. At another someone came into our room after a polite knock to inventory the mini-bar, take notes and replace what had been removed.

Finally my daughter just got bored and we started exploring the slowly emptying ship.

Least. Stressful. Debarkation. Ever.

I loved being able to bring all the wine and champayne on board that I wanted to. Also their promanade deck that goes completely around the whole ship was wonderful. Never was crowded. Most of the people on the cruise were very refined. Had a huge balcony, wonderful soft beds.

Archived