FX Currency Card

Poppett

We are booked on to the Queen Victoria cruise Fjords & Waterfalls II which departs on the 1st July. Cunard were not able to tell us anything about the exchange rate on board but my partner and I both have pre-loaded US Dollar FX Currency cards which we would like to use on board, can anyone tell us if we can?

Thank you for your help. :)

We are booked on to the Queen Victoria cruise Fjords & Waterfalls II which departs on the 1st July. Cunard were not able to tell us anything about the exchange rate on board but my partner and I both have pre-loaded US Dollar FX Currency cards which we would like to use on board, can anyone tell us if we can?

Thank you for your help. :)

The exchange rate on board will be quite poor. You would be better to either take lots of local currency with you or draw it out of ATMs in whichever port that you dock at. Scandinavia is very very expensive. I have never heard of the card to which you refer so I can't assist you on that.

As always, excellent advice from the good Cap'n, but don't forget that you will not need any cash on board, as all expenditure is charged to your on-board account, which is settled by the credit/debit card that you are invited to register with Cunard upon checking in prior to embarkation.

Prices in Norway are VERY expensive, and although you will need some Kroner for small incidental purchases, Credit Cards are accepted at railway stations, restaurants and larger stores and shops. You will obtain a much more favourable rate of exchange if you buy your Kroner in the UK prior to traveling, but should you not wish to carry a quantity of currency with you, then your only other option is to either purchase it on board or to find a bank or bureau de change immediately you go ashore.

Cunard should be able to answer your question regarding your US$ FX Currency Card, and they can be reached on 0845 678 00 13.

Incidentally, there is a Roll Call for your cruise at http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1329472 should you wish to say hello.

Hope that this Helps,

Regards,

David

I have recently been looking into the Fx pre-loaded cards. Different Fx cards have different charges. If your card is a mastercard and, as you say, US$ card there should be no problem on board. If you wish to use it for currency other than US$ I would expect there to be a charge/additional charge. I know the Caxton card makes no charge if you stick to the currency of the card. The possible disadvantages I can see are 1) it is not a credit card so presumably it cannot serve as a guarantee (when boarding) and 2) it will be more expensive to purchase foreign currency (non US$).

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I emailed Fair FX who didn't seem to think there would be a problem using the card on board. I have also emailed Cunard and will let you know their response.

I recommend these cards by the way - I also have one loaded with Euros, you get a better exchange rate than anywhere else and all transactions are carried out on line its a very efficient, user friendly service.

Poppett :)

The CaxtonFX card can be obtained in three different curriences,American Dollars,Euros or a worldwide card loaded in £ sterling and used in any country worldwide. For example lets say you travel to Australia you can use the card at an A.T.M. to withdraw local currency at that days exchange rate ( better than tourist rate) or use it to pay for goods or services where ever you see mastercard sign,just like a credit card,again the transaction is at the current exchange rate for that day.

The card is issued by the Newcastle Building Society. More info at

www.caxtonfxcard.com

hopes this helps someone,great idea if travelling to various destinations outside Europe and U.S.A.

Keith

So what is the advantage over using a debit or credit card at a local ATM where the cash that you obtain is sold to you at that days rate of exchange, and you don't need to pre-load it with money? Maybe I am misunderstanding how these FX cards work.

capnpw - My understanding is that you load money onto a card (US$, Euros) and the exchange rate used is the rate used by the company on the day it is loaded. With Caxton if you then withdraw US$ on a US$ denominated card there is no charge. The same with a Euro denominated card. What I think the poster above is referring to is when/if you have a Sterling denominated card and use it to withdraw any other currency. The exchange rate on the day of withdrawal would then be used. The advantage of the $ or Euro cards is that you can load them on a date of your choice, hopefully when the rate is good. I can see that the cards do not give you infinite amounts to spend, only what you have loaded. The card is not linked to a bank account or a cc account which might have a much higher credit limit - an advantage if lost or stolen. It is possible to use the US$ and Euro to withdraw other currencies but as I said earlier there is a charge or larger charge for this. It is something I have considered since Nationwide have introduced fees/loading on their debit card.

capnpw - My understanding is that you load money onto a card (US$, Euros) and the exchange rate used is the rate used by the company on the day it is loaded. With Caxton if you then withdraw US$ on a US$ denominated card there is no charge. The same with a Euro denominated card. What I think the poster above is referring to is when/if you have a Sterling denominated card and use it to withdraw any other currency. The exchange rate on the day of withdrawal would then be used. The advantage of the $ or Euro cards is that you can load them on a date of your choice, hopefully when the rate is good. I can see that the cards do not give you infinite amounts to spend, only what you have loaded. The card is not linked to a bank account or a cc account which might have a much higher credit limit - an advantage if lost or stolen. It is possible to use the US$ and Euro to withdraw other currencies but as I said earlier there is a charge or larger charge for this. It is something I have considered since Nationwide have introduced fees/loading on their debit card.

If you go to Saga their credit card doesn't charge a levy for overseas transactions, obviously there is a variance on rates of exchange, but the money remains yours until you spend actually it. If you are too young for Saga then I can't help you. :eek:

My info says Saga has a cash withdrawal fee of 2% (min £2), no loading built into exchange rate and no interest if paid off in full. It is one of the better deals. I do qualify for Saga products but, of late, have been using a Hx Clarity cc which only charges 12.9% interest - no % or cash withdrawal fee and no loading. £100 for one month costs £1 so a reasonable deal. My research was just to see what else is available on the market.

My info says Saga has a cash withdrawal fee of 2% (min £2), no loading built into exchange rate and no interest if paid off in full. It is one of the better deals. I do qualify for Saga products but, of late, have been using a Hx Clarity cc which only charges 12.9% interest - no % or cash withdrawal fee and no loading. £100 for one month costs £1 so a reasonable deal. My research was just to see what else is available on the market.

Understand, I only use the card abroad and always pay it off in full so it is the no currency fee that attracted me, I, too, used to use a Nationwide card. I still have it but it lays in a drawer unused.

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard back from Cunard they do not accept pre-paid cards of any sort. Nevermind, we will use our credit cards as we have done in the past.

Just to clarify FX cards are pre-loaded with either Euros or US Dollars, they do not deal in any other currencies. FX offer a higher exchange rate than anywhere on the high street and we use it as a payment card when on holiday to pay for meals, drinks etc. We wouldn't use it to get cash as its attracts a high withdrawal fee, we just take some cash currency with us that we exchange at home before we leave.

Thanks to you all for your helpful posts.

We've got Fairfx cards for both dollar and euro and load it whenever we feel the rates are favourable.

A good explanation of everything you need to know regarding those preloaded cards and travel spending money can be found here

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

:)

It is all fairly academic when Cunard don't accept them

It is all fairly academic when Cunard don't accept them

If you look at the link I posted you'll see it does more than just explain preloaded cards. It also lists the best ways of spending money abroad that are the most cost effective to you. So it may still be of use to the OP or to anyone else for that matter who cares about not wasting money :)

Plus, as there were people wondering about what these cards are and the advantages, a good explanation might be useful. Cunard may not accept them, but that doesn't mean one might not want one for other parts of their vacation.

Archived