Payment Due online that's not really "due"?

I noticed that when I check on my reservations online, under the booking dashboard, that it shows a $500 payment due every quarter or so (we usually book onboard a year out, so this would show 2-3 payments "due" over the course of a year. In fact, if I understand it correctly, no payment is "due" till 90 days out (or whatever date is given as your full payment due date), once I have paid the deposit. (unless I order excursions or other items on line).

Why does RCI do this? Is it to assist those who might like a payment plan? Is it just to get you (I hate to think "trick " you) into paying ahead of schedule? I would think it could appear to some that if they don't pay what is "due", they may "lose" their reservation. It doesn't say that but it would be easy to think that. Also, I wonder what would be the implications for a full refund if you needed to cancel if you had paid before it was owed. Anyone have any thoughs about this? Maybe some of the TA's out there might have some insight.

I noticed that when I check on my reservations online, under the booking dashboard, that it shows a $500 payment due every quarter or so (we usually book onboard a year out, so this would show 2-3 payments "due" over the course of a year. In fact, if I understand it correctly, no payment is "due" till 90 days out (or whatever date is given as your full payment due date), once I have paid the deposit. (unless I order excursions or other items on line).

Why does RCI do this? Is it to assist those who might like a payment plan? Is it just to get you (I hate to think "trick " you) into paying ahead of schedule? I would think it could appear to some that if they don't pay what is "due", they may "lose" their reservation. It doesn't say that but it would be easy to think that. Also, I wonder what would be the implications for a full refund if you needed to cancel if you had paid before it was owed. Anyone have any thoughs about this? Maybe some of the TA's out there might have some insight.

I think it's more likely that RCI has not properly programmed the website. For example, during the WOW sale, deposits are supposed to be half price, but the website has never been able to handle that situation. Also, when I book on board, and pay the lower deposit of $100 per person, the website seems to indicate that I need to pay more.

I don't have a open reservation :( so can't check, but I thought that it included verbiage somewhere saying that it was optional and for your convenience.

I don't have a open reservation :( so can't check, but I thought that it included verbiage somewhere saying that it was optional and for your convenience.

I checked that and didn't see any small print, but then my eyes are getting worse;) It's funny becasue it's showing it as "due" today March 15th for all my cruises despite when it actually sails!! It just caught my attention- that little panic you get when you think you've missed a deadline, and then I realized it's not really "due"...odd!

Every time I would look at my reservation, it would say I have a payment due. It didn't matter if my cruise was months away. It just defaults to that notice......another thing is messages, why is that there? Never had a message yet!

LOL...no messages here either!

I think thats what it is, just some default...maybe RCI is just hoping we will all hand over money to them...but isn't that what we do during the whole crusie;)

Archived