Anyone worried about radiation??

yusi1906

Although I've read that there likelihood of radiation reaching Hawaii is low, would you cancel your trip?

I booked the POA on Thursday and we are not sure what to do now. I havent even purchased travel insurance as of yet because at this point I dont know if it's worth it being that I didnt buy it on Thursday. Would I have any problems with getting insurance?

I'm so confused and don't know what to do:(

I wouldn't be worried at all, The radiation basically has a sort of shotgun effect, the radiation is greatest at the source and scatters and disipates the further it gets away from the source, a couple of rain showers at sea will likely dilute the concentration even further, by the time it reaches Hawaii, I doubt that it will even register a higher concentration than what is normally in the earths atmosphere...perhaps avoid Japan and the nearby areas for a while but Hawaii is thousands of miles away.

If we worried about what might happen on vacation we would never travel!

We were just there and missed the tsuanmi by 4 days I think and it never crossed our minds that we could be in danger and should we cancel our trip!

Although I've read that there likelihood of radiation reaching Hawaii is low, would you cancel your trip?

I booked the POA on Thursday and we are not sure what to do now. I havent even purchased travel insurance as of yet because at this point I dont know if it's worth it being that I didnt buy it on Thursday. Would I have any problems with getting insurance?

I'm so confused and don't know what to do:(

Here is an article on travel insurance for people who already had purchased it.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-japan-nuclear-radiation-insurance-20110316,1,3543493.story

In your case, it might be considered something to the effect of buying homeowner's insurance after you have a fire.

To get a better answer, either call insurance companies direct, or contact the trip insurance store. They are very knowledgable:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/

Thank you vbmom. I had actually read about the company you've suggested by doing a search on the Hawaii forum. And as the article you posted, they said that insurance would not cover anything unless I purchase the "cancel for any reason" option.

Funny thing is that I purchased our plane tickets on March 9, booked and paid in full for the POA on the 10th and didnt buy insurance thinking that I at least had 21 days to make up my mind.

But like others have said Hawaii should be OK. It's just hard to have piece of mind when people know you are going to Hawaii and put their 2 cents in as if they knew it all.

But like others have said Hawaii should be OK. It's just hard to have piece of mind when people know you are going to Hawaii and put their 2 cents in as if they knew it all.

We're getting the same thing, Yusi. People keep coming up to hubby at work saying, "You're not still going to Hawaii, are you?" We're going two weeks from today and unless our government advises against going, we're not cancelling. We did get the cancel for any reason travel insurance. Just go and have a great time!

We're getting the same thing, Yusi. People keep coming up to hubby at work saying, "You're not still going to Hawaii, are you?" We're going two weeks from today and unless our government advises against going, we're not cancelling. We did get the cancel for any reason travel insurance. Just go and have a great time!

Katef, I'm glad someone feels/understands my pain, lol. We are leaving on 04/21 and sail POA on the 23. You have a great time as well! Thanks!

Yes, we're concerned. We leave San Pedro on the 13th of next month and we'll have 2 toddlers with us. What I was concerned most about is if the ships will have the meds necessary if the "cloud" should switch. You never know with the jet stream and winds. I plan to keep watching this thread. Asked Princess on Monday and they don't have the meds on board ships at this time. At least that's what the rep said.

Cruisin Oldies

I don't want to minimize anyone's concerns but, personally, at this point you probably have more to worry about with the vog than you do with radiation. Right now the vog is mostly in the good levels at all locations but this could easily change at any time depending on what the volcano does next. From what I understand right now it's being rather quiet but they don't expect this to last and when the vog kicks up it can affect your breathing, especially for those with allergies/asthma, as well as irritating to the eyes. To check on the current vog levels go to http://weather.hawaii.edu/vmap/.

It is likely that I'll be in the islands for a couple of weeks in Mid-April, and as I stated in the other thread about radiation, I am currently not worried in the slightest. And I do have some experience in this area because I worked in companies that dealt with monitoring equipment for radiation (among other things). The potential levels of radiation are far less (several magnitudes less) than citizens of Manhattan receive from living on an island with granite in its rock, and far less than the citizens of denver receive, and much less than the amount you receive in your plane flight to the islands.

I grant that radiation is scary. But as of now the fear I read about is not warranted.

Aloha,

Yesterday, President Obama reiterated to all Americans that no harmful levels of radiation are expected to reach Hawaii, the West Coast, or the Pacific Territories as a result of damage to nuclear plants in Japan.

"Second, I know that many Americans are also worried about the potential risks to the United States. So I want to be very clear: We do not expect harmful levels of radiation to reach the United States, whether it’s the West Coast, Hawaii, Alaska, or U.S. territories in the Pacific. Let me repeat that: We do not expect harmful levels of radiation to reach the West Coast, Hawaii, Alaska, or U.S. territories in the Pacific. That is the judgment of our Nuclear Regulatory Commission and many other experts." President Barack Obama, March 17, 2011

In addition, experts, most notably U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Gregory Jaczko, have repeatedly declared that there is no evidence indicating that Hawaii is in any danger. The NRC’s assessment is linked here:

NRC Sees No Radiation at Harmful Levels Reaching U.S. from Damaged Japanese Nuclear Power Plants.

Finally, Governor Abercrombie echoed the President’s and NRC’s assessment in his statement issued this afternoon.

So, you can feel comfortable telling your customers "If you have reservations or are planning a Hawaii vacation or business trip in the future, there is no need to change your plans." Hawaii is open for business and we welcome them.

For the latest updates, please continue to check http://www.gohawaii.com/statewide/travel-tips/special-alert

Mahalo.

If you wish to be excluded from future mailings, please click here.

email from Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau

P.s. more worried about the high cost of airfare to and from Hawaii!!!!

Archived