Costa Rica opinions-Panama or Nicaragua route??

CruiserDoc

We went on the pre-cruise package and then did the back to back cruises to Nicaragua and Panama the last two weeks of February. We thought the pre-cruise package,Tree Top Treasures, was fabulous. Even though you had a four hour trip from the airport to the Hotel in Monteverde, it was the best part of our entire trip. Read a thread dated March 7th," has anyone done the land package to Monteverde Cloud Forest", and you will see what I put about it. The worst part was the last 12 miles or so on dirt road with huge boulders, and it took two hours!! They have changed it for next year with a night at a hotel near the airport which really would make it even better.

As far as the two weeks, when I looked at the itinerary I thought the week to Panama was the best as far as to what you would see and the excursions.

Of course, the further south you go, the hotter and more humidity you have. We did the Costa Rica and Nicaragua week first. Didn't do the long excursion into Nicaragua, just went into the small town of San Juan del Sur and stayed on the ship. At Playa del Coco, we went to the Palo Verde National Park on a river cruise. It was very good. Did the excursion to the National Park of Santa Rosa and it was OK. There were big swells so we couldn't go to Puerto Carrillo. They had had problems with that place and the swells most of the season we heard so we had a sea day then. Went to the National Reserve of Curu, they had a beach bar-b-que at Isla Tortugas, and we went snorkeling, but nothing like the Caribbean. The seas were very rough that day with swells. This is done on both weeks, but they didn't have the beach bar-b-que there the second week.

On the Costa Rica and Panama, they went to Isla Gamez after the sea day, and had the beach bar-b-que there. It was a tiny island and very neat with just our ship there. Next day we went to Golfito and took an excursion to a Rescue Center and an Orchard Botanical Garden. This was good.

Then next day we did Drake Bay and went to Corcovado National Park. This was very good. Next day was one of the most famous of their national parks, Manual Antonio. We did the excursion there and it was really great, but very hot and humid. Then the last day was the same as the first week.

Don't know what you are looking for, but if you want to see birds, animals, all kinds of wildlife,etc., the week to Panama is the best.

We had done the Royal Clipper four times, and this was our first time on the smaller ship. We enjoyed it a lot. The food was great, and we met some really nice people from the US, Canada, and Europe.

If you have any questions, just let me know. Be sure to look up the other thread.

Leap Mom--thanks so much for the informative reply. I'm now very excited about this trip--the Panama week actually works better into my schedule. The pre-cruise trip sounds great; we'll plan on that too!! Again, thanks for the comments!! I'll read the other post.

Tom

Archived