Transport chair-???

New2cz

This will be our first time to travel since my husband's medical condition has made it very difficult for him to walk for any distance. He also cannot walk up elevations and cannot stand for long periods of time. He has refused to use a wheelchair. I purchased a lightweight transport chair which folds up much like a lawn chair. He was not happy with this, but I know he will have to have some type of assistance in order to get around even the ship. Is the transport chair going to be helpful at all? Since purchasing it I have read that the small wheels make it very uncomfortable for the person in the chair and difficult to push....I thought it would at least give him a place to sit and rest.

This will be our first time to travel since my husband's medical condition has made it very difficult for him to walk for any distance. He also cannot walk up elevations and cannot stand for long periods of time. He has refused to use a wheelchair. I purchased a lightweight transport chair which folds up much like a lawn chair. He was not happy with this, but I know he will have to have some type of assistance in order to get around even the ship. Is the transport chair going to be helpful at all? Since purchasing it I have read that the small wheels make it very uncomfortable for the person in the chair and difficult to push....I thought it would at least give him a place to sit and rest.

A transport chair can only be pushed by someone behind the chair...the person sitting in the chair cannot. You are correct the small wheels in the front make pushing the chair very difficult on the carpet on the ship. They are not easy to use on uneven sidewalks or cobblestone streets either...the only good think is that they are light weight. You might still have the same issues on shore if you are not in an USA port with ADA rule.

A standard folding wheelchair can be used by the person sitting in the chair(if thier arms are stong enough) and pushed easier by the pusher behind the chair. Even a regular wheelchair is not easy on board. That is why I rent scooter for the ship and take my own folding wheelchair.

If you DH is against a wheelchair what about getting a Rollator...it has a seat that he could rest on when ever he needs it, and it would be available anytime he needs to stand in line. It also gives him something to hold onto whitch might help him walk longer distances.

You can always request assistance with a wheelchair to the gate at the airport and when boarding the ship. (I always keep some singles to tip the pusher. depending on the distance $2-3)

Agree a transport chair is not the way to go. even getting in and out of the elevator with them can be difficult especially if a wheel gets turned sideways. I have seen people have to get out of them to get them dislodged. DH owns and uses a scooter but is considering renting a hover round instead next time because the length of the scooter can be a problem where the motorized chair is not. You can rent them at the disembarkation port at most locations. Just be sure your cabin door can take the width of the chair. We always get a modified cabin for that reason. The walker with the seat is an option if your DH will use it and not let him pride get in the way. Pllus they are much easier to use in the MDR's and lounges.

This was also posted by me in another thread

I am surprised at all the negative comments regarding a transport chair. We currently use a transport chair with hand brakes and the larger wheels. Nova I think is the brand we have and on Amazon it was the most expensive they carry. Over the years we have used a transport chair with large wheels in Prague, Budapest, Vienna Brataslava, Warsaw, Krakow, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Playa del Carmen. Did a 10 day cruise in Dec and just returned from 7 days. Last cruise we did the walking tour of San Juan from Cruise Port to El Moro and through old San Juan. Obviously it did navigated through the cobblestones and did not break. My wife has never complained about a rough ride and sometimes we are out and about for eight hours or more. I can sense a difference in the resistance on the carpeted areas of the ship and it is necessary to learn how to "drive" the chair over the cobblestones and on the curbs without curb cuts. I have never had difficulty getting around a ship, into elevators, through the buffet or into the bars and theaters. My wife has also found a way using her feet to get around in stores for short distances. For example, I can leave her in the biography section of a bookstore and she can navigate through the three or four isles of books. We do give the chair heavy usage and I admit we need to replace them every two to three years but we travel extensively outside the US. We travel with Duct tape as there have been times, Cabo, Warsaw where we needed a temporary repair. The chair is lightweight, folds into a compact footprint fitting into our PT cruiser trunk and my wife and I agree, we would never change it for a large wheel chair.

I would also like to point out that for the pusher, the slightly increased resistance in the ship is actually an advantage as I can eat as much as I want and not gain weight on a cruise.

If the pusher is healthy, I would definitely recommend considering a large rear wheel transport chair with brakes.

I second the rollator. I bought one before my cruise last year. I have a bad back & cannot walk long distances or stand for long periods. Rollator is great, I can walk & sit when I have to. it was great when getting off the ship & walking the pier. Also while waiting to leave the ship on the last morning I had a place to sit!!

• 2 weeks later...

In lieu of a travel wheelchair I have found a smaller more narrow lightweight wheelchair - the Tracer EX2 by Invacare. The reason I like it is that I can move myself around when I want to and my husband doesn't have to push me all the time....but when on shore he can without much difficulty. I also take a rollator walker ( the kind that goes around ones body and not just out in front) to use during the day in the ship....it makes things a lot easier....New to CZ I can understand your husband's reluctance....I fought using these devices tooth and nail but now have accepted that it just has to be!

The biggest problem with a transport chair is that the person using the chair loses his/her independence. I imagine this is the reason your husband is not responding. Coming into these changes and needing to use devices is sometimes a difficult transition but your life is what you make of it. The use of some kind of transportive device is just a tool to help him achieve his goals of living fully :):) It was hard for my husband to make that adjustment, too but now, lol, my husband gloats over beating me to doors and around large places. He also has taken on the role of package porter :) It's all in how you look at things;)

We sailed one time using just the transport chair---I got ill ( NOT Noro) and he was trapped in the cabin, too. From that time on...we either bring our power chair from home or rent one to use on board. No matter how good shape you may be in, there will be times that pushing that T-chair is the last thing you want to do...it gets tiring. Having conversations over the shoulder is rough on the transportee, too. That seat in a transport chair is not meant for long term sitting; you may want to get one of those flat tempurpedic pillows to use as a seat cushion. A regular WC allows for independence and has a nicer seat. Either chair will also take up room in the cabin. You cannot leave them in the hallways.

Does your husband use the rider chairs in the grocery, warehouse, or building supplies (home depot/lowes)? If he does, you could rent a scooter for the ship or a powerchair. I would suggest you get an accessible cabin if you go this route. They do not fit through the other doorways. This will make him independent and able to come and go as he pleases. The power chairs pull right up to the dining table while the waiters usually store the scooters to the side until you need to depart the dining room. The waiters are VERY used to this and no one notices or makes a fuss about it at all.

I bought my transport chair based on the wheel size. It has decent sized front and large back wheels. We still use it at airports and on days when it is pouring (less time in the rain to fold it up than securing the power chair to the lift).

Wishing you the best!

Archived