New Cruiser! What do YOU think?

chach123

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I are new to cruising! I joined this forum a couple of months ago and everyone is so helpful; I've found many useful hints and tips! The two of us are going on the Carnival Pride (already joined roll call) this August! Here's our itinerary: Grand Turk, HMC, and Nassau. In your opinion, what are your thoughts about the ports? Is there anything I should be sure not to miss while we're at these places? Anything to do or see for sure on the ship? Thanks in advance for your input!

this was our first cruise as well and we loved it. we did a catamaran/snorkel excursion in Nassau, kayak in Grand Turk and beach day in HMC.

loved the excursion in nassau and beach day in HMC!

check out my pictures in my signature

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I are new to cruising! I joined this forum a couple of months ago and everyone is so helpful; I've found many useful hints and tips! The two of us are going on the Carnival Pride (already joined roll call) this August! Here's our itinerary: Grand Turk, HMC, and Nassau. In your opinion, what are your thoughts about the ports? Is there anything I should be sure not to miss while we're at these places? Anything to do or see for sure on the ship? Thanks in advance for your input!

.....I'm doing this same itinerary in August this year on the Miracle. I was to Grand Turk once, port was nothing special in MHO. I was to Nassau a couple of times, went to Senor Frogs both times and I was not too impressed with the surrounding area. The one time I was supposed to go to HMC we missed it due to high winds and they could not tender. Hopefully on this cruise we won't miss HMC.

Normally I pick a cruise for the ship and itinerary. The reason I picked this cruise was because of the people I'm going with. Not saying that these places are not nice to visit, but I had been there before and an additional time was not warranted. I'd rather try and go to a port that I have not been to before.

wasiii

We'll be doing the same itinerary on Pride's sister the Miracle out of NY in May...did it last year, too!

Grand Turk is a small island...there aren't alot of options. You may want to do a snorkel excursion. Ot just get off the ship and hang out at the beach right there...or Margaritaville with its massive pool, swim up bar and band. Or (facing the port) head left and walk down to Jack's Shack...a great little beach bar.

HMC only offers Carnival excursions since it's a private island...we love just enjoying the beach...it's beautiful!

Nassau has many options...we did a great snorkel trip with stuartcove dot com. This year we're going over to Blue Lagoon.

Check the ports of call section of the boards for more ideas!

This is a nice itinerary...can be very relaxing if you want it to be...

Grand Turk is where we did one of our favorite excursions (and one of the very few thru carnival) where you drive your own inflatible speed boats and go snorkeling, the snorkeling was some of the best I have done. It was a little pricey but very fun. As for HMC just enjoy the beach.:o Hope this helps

Hello everyone!

Skip Margaritaville and head right down to Jack's Shack. Great drinks, awesome food, a place to just chilld without waiters in your face trying to sell you $15 drinks all day and you're not sitting directly on the person next to you's lap. Plus the water is easier to access than in front of Margaritaville bc it's a much sandier (versus rock and coral) bottom. LOVED it.

HMC...beautiful beach, unforgettable beach day. Don't bother with renting cabanas or clamshells, we couldn't help but spend most of the day in the water.

Nassau...depending if you're snorkelers or not, Nassau has gorgeous water and clarity for seeing critters. Otherwise I'm scoping out a beach day through Island Marketing at one of the resorts on the "strip" there that costs like $50 per person, but includes a $30 credit for food and drinks.

I personally like the itinerary, but it depends on your view of beach days.

HMC is a great beach day. I also view Grand Turk as a beach day. You can grab a chaise lounge at Margaritaville or head on down to Jack's. I have done both. The ocean bottom is better at Jacks and the drinks and food are good. Margaritaville has the palm trees and pool, but it is a bit of a tourist trap.

I'm not overly fond of Nassau, but I have been there a number of times. You can head to Paradise Island for the beach or Atlantis. If you're into partying, that crowd heads to Senor Frogs. You could also stay onboard and take advantage of the quiet ship.

Half Moon Cay is fabulous-don't bother paying for an excursion-simply enjoy the beach and barbecue. You don't need to splurge on a cabana either-there are free lounges all-around. There are also free hammock you can make use of.

grand Turk-it rained the day I was there-but there is the party central of Margarittaville and pool, or the beach with lounge chairs. If you walk right aways-I think there was a sign for massages or something-anyway, you will come to a wooden dock. I think some excursions leave out of there. Anyway, it is a great spot for a photo op, and the cruise ship is visible in the background.

Have fun.

Hi! I did this trip out of New York last September. There really wasn't too much to Grand Turk - I just went for the beach day, but I'm sure there were other excursions. The beach was beautiful. Carnival owns Half Moon Cay. There isn't anything to see but the beach, but again, I loved every minute of it. You couldn't get me out of the water - I felt so serene and relaxed. Then, Carnival provided a buffet lunch and I remember there were some T-shirt stands. Nassau was like a mini city. I had been there before and I wasn't into shopping. When we got there it was boiling hot, so I turned around on the pier and went back to the ship. There are a lot of excursions. I would do this trip again just to go back swimming in HMC.

Archived