No summer Southern Caribbean cruises 2012 on

The other thing that bugs me: Was this decision is based on the past 2 years where people were more likely to stay home due to the economy? We hunkered down and got in a better position and are ready to sail more with the family. A trip for 4 to Europe/Med. is ridiculous. Double the flight price to SJU. I don't get it. Who is flying at double the price and saying SJU is too expensive? Maybe I need a travel agent,lol.

Karen

Have you considered the fact that there are people living in Europe that also like to cruise. I don't hear them complaining about the price to fly to the US when they want to cruise. So now the Europeans are getting a few more ships home ported near where they live and the people living in the US will now get a chance to see what it was like for the Europeans a few years ago.

Certain itineraries do not always sell out. My Mediterranean cruise in August '10, there were 2 price drops amounting to some $1k for both of us. There was a further drop for a balcony cabin at $700 for 2, however, we could not take advantage of this because it was for new bookings--were we pi--ed.

As a I said what is being spent aboard is relative. On our recent Oasis cruise certain RCL staff claim that they do not make a lot of money on drinks, but on their of sales of jewelry and incidentals. I simply cannot believe this. Maybe most of the cruisers are D or above and get their fill gratis.

There is a big difference between the fact that certain itineraries do not always sell out, and the consequent loss of revenue being sufficient to make them drop those itineraries. I would have to believe that these itineraries still generate sufficient business as to make it more valuable for them to continue offering them than moving the ship somewhere else. Wherever they can maximize their revenues is where they will deploy their ships and, for the time being, at least that seems to be in Europe rather than the Caribbean in the summer months.

negc, you are obviously a very senior, experienced and salty CruiseCritic member. If you're not Adam Goldstein himself or a member of the RCI board :D, I am sure that you could have a seat at their table if you just ask. If you do, can you ask them to at least toss us poor Southern-Caribs a bone? We'd probably even take the Sovereign back as a consolation :o.

And of course you could care less about the situation in California.

Just further evidence of the truth of the old saw that it depends on "whose ox is being gored". All too often we care only about things that directly affect us.

Just further evidence of the truth of the old saw that it depends on "whose ox is being gored". All too often we care only about things that directly affect us.

Let's see if RCI is successful in luring Puerto Ricans away to the boring "Caribbean" and the amusement parks afloat. Plus airfare.

There are over 30,000,000 people in California. How many in Pureto Rico? If Royal Caribbean is willing to abandon California year round, do you really think Royal Caribbean is going to be worried about leaving Pureto Rico for only half the year?

You have mentioned airfare in a few of your posts. For a lot of people, myself included, airfare is just a fact of life if you want to have a vacation. You should be grateful for all the cruises you have taken and not had to factor in the cost of airfare. Now that the cheap (no airfare) cruises are no longer available year round you will be like most of us, if you want to cruise, you gotta pay to fly somewhere. Sorry, I find it hard to sympathize with someone like you who already lives in a vacation paradise :) ..

Yes Aviator of the Seas, welcome to the world the rest of us live in.

While I agree with you, I don't think you need to say it twice. :)

You are complaining because you only have a ship seasonally. Well, there are no Royal Caribbean ships based anywhere in California at all, period. So don't expect any sympathy from the 30,000,000 plus residents of California.

I am not expecting any sympathy and I have already stated that I am being a little selfish.

But as we have seen in this and other threads, I am not alone in my preference for cruising around the Southern Caribbean. It has some of the most popular itineraries for a reason.

I saw where the article said Serenade would not be there in the summer, I guess I missed the place where the article said Royal Caribbean confirmed no other ship(s) would be redeployed there for the summer of 2012.

Oh, because we already knew that the Adventure is already scheduled for the Med during the summers beginning last year.

Oh, because we already knew that the Adventure is already scheduled for the Med during the summers beginning last year.
I know both current ships will be gone, where does the article say that Royal Caribbean confiirms no other ships will be redeployed to do Southern Caribbean cruises?

I know both current ships will be gone, where does the article say that Royal Caribbean confiirms no other ships will be redeployed to do Southern Caribbean cruises?

I have not read or confirmed that RCI will be deploying any other ship to the Southern Caribbean for the summer. If you hear of any please let us know.

I have not read or confirmed that RCI will be deploying any other ship to the Southern Caribbean for the summer. If you hear of any please let us know.
I'll take that to mean that when you said "that means no Royal Caribbean Southern Caribbean cruises during the summer/fall beginning next year" you actually meant, "I haven't heard of any plans for Royal Caribbean Southern Caribbean cruises during the summer/fall beginning next year".

I'll take that to mean that when you said "that means no Royal Caribbean Southern Caribbean cruises during the summer/fall beginning next year" you actually meant, "I haven't heard of any plans for Royal Caribbean Southern Caribbean cruises during the summer/fall beginning next year".

There are other threads and article quotes which further confirm that there will be no RCI Southern Caribbean cruises during the summers beginning next year. I'll try finding them for you.

See post # 29 on this thread:

"Executive vice-president of the Barbados Hotel & Tourism Association, Sue Springer, said the Royal Caribbean line had announced the removal of all its ships from the southern Caribbean during summer 2012"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1389121

• 4 weeks later...

Well, apparently your definition of Southern Caribbean and Royal Caribbean's definition of Southern Caribbean differ. Apparently Royal Caribbean considers the southeast Caribbean to be Southern Caribbean and you don't.

Archived