connoisseur wine pairing dinner

Scruffy666

We were on board the Journey sailing Feb. 27 and our party of four enjoyed the wonderful wine pairing at Prime C. Sommelier Pierre came around the very first night at Discoveries and asked if we might enjoy this. I would start by asking the Concierge, the sommelier or Guest Relations. We were so happy that we decided to go. Laurentia, the sommelier in the specialty restaurants, is an absolute gem and quite knowledgeable. The food was fantastic and the selections of wine were perfect!

We went up to Aqualina the minute we boarded and got our names on the list. This is the same place you go to book times in the two specialty dining areas. We also heard the sommmalier talk to people at the next table in Discoveries about this dinner. That is how we learned they had taken our suggestion to change the date so it would not be the night before Osaka. Of course the earthquake changed all that!

We have been to two of these special connoisseur dinners now and they are wonderful. When I get home I can post more details about the meal and wines. We are in Beijing at the moment on an extended time in China.

The pairings dinner we attended on our Jan 30 Journey cruise was superb. The cost was, if I remember correctly, $60 per person and well worth the price. We put our name on the list at the front desk up in Prime C. They held two of these special dinners on our cruise. The dinner is hosted by one of the officers - in our case, Tony, the Cruise Director. Several other officers stopped by the table to see what we were eating and to greet us. One of the very best dinners I have ever had! There were 10 of us plus Tony. The sommelier and chef made many trips to the table to explain what we were eating and why the specific wine was chosen for that particular course. A real WOW! for us. ----Penny

The two dinners share the same basic structure - many courses, each paired with an appropriate wine. The difference, I think, is that the Best of the Best was by invitation only (we enjoyed it on the Journey when we lucked into the penthouse suite on a 2009 cruise), whereas the Wine Pairing Dinner is open to those passengers who sign up for and pay for it (we loved our Wine Pairing Dinner on the Quest a couple of months ago).

Archived