Help...question about rental vehicle for 7 + luggage!

NC66

We are flying into MCO on Friday, April 8th and meeting our friends from the UK. We are staying at a hotel near MCO and looking to rent a vehicle the following day on April 9th from the MCO terminal. We are cruising out of Port Canaveral on Sunday, April 10th so are planning on driving the rental to Cape Canaveral that morning and dropping it. My problem is that there are 7 of us and we need a vehicle that will accommodate us and our luggage. I know we will have 1 suitcase per person (large to medium in size) and possibly a couple of tote type bags. I have called Budget and have a Ford Expedition reserved for the time being but I'm wondering if this is going to be big enough? We're trying to obviously rent the cheapest way possible. It's a little confusing at best!! Our friends from the UK "do not" drive while over in the US! I know with rental companies it's best to use a credit card versus a debit card and I have a credit card in my name so my thoughts were to rent 2 full size vehicles and sign my husband up to be the "additional driver" for the 2nd car, and obviously I'll drive the first car. I've heard over on another forum that this may not work. Can anyone offer any suggestions/advice?

Will the Ford Expedition be big enough for all 7 of us? (we are 4 adults, 2-14yo, and 1-16yo)

If we decide to go the route of 2 full size vehicles should my friend from the UK rent the 2nd full size car and add my husband on as the additional driver?

Thanks for any help you may have to offer!!

I do not think that will be big enough for all the luggage. We have ridden in Friend's Expidition many times, and ther is no way you can fit 7 people and all the luggage in it. You would have to have the 3rd seat up, and that leaves very little room for luggage behind that.

A few years ago there were 8 of us and l4 bags in FLL. We ended up renting a big van bus type thing that was able to seat 10. We had lots of trouble getting all of our luggage in that.

I went to Expedia and checked on all the car rentals for FLL and found only one that rented that size vehicle. I also booked it through them. They do not require a credit card until you pick up the vehicle. All they do is make the reservation for you. Check on there and see if you can find a vehicle and go from there.

Claudia

I'm not sure about fitting everyone in the Expedition but I don't see why you can't rent 2 full size cars - you drive one and your husband drive the other (since your friends don't drive in the US). You can charge both of them on the same credit card - you just need to have 2 drivers. Actually if you do 3 in one car and 4 in the other you could get away with a compact for the 3 people b/c you could put luggage in the back seat too.

which is cheaper than a full sized.

Check out Mousesavers.com for lots of info on rental cars and deals out of MCO.

Do you want a vehicle for sure? It might be cheaper to just use taxis.

Are you going on the sensation? We are on her on the 10th out of Port Canaveral.

I'm not sure about fitting everyone in the Expedition but I don't see why you can't rent 2 full size cars - you drive one and your husband drive the other (since your friends don't drive in the US). You can charge both of them on the same credit card - you just need to have 2 drivers. Actually if you do 3 in one car and 4 in the other you could get away with a compact for the 3 people b/c you could put luggage in the back seat too.

Are you going on the sensation? We are on her on the 10th out of Port Canaveral.

No, not with Sensation. We're going on the Disney Dream. Thanks for the reply...I'm still checking this out!

Taxi is bad advice as it is over $100 each way. The taxi by law has to return empty. Rent 2 cars or take a shuttle.

Taxi is bad advice as it is over $100 each way. The taxi by law has to return empty. Rent 2 cars or take a shuttle.

I have never priced out taxis, but wow $100 is quite expensive. I've never heard of the law about returning empty.

We are flying into MCO on Friday, April 8th and meeting our friends from the UK. We are staying at a hotel near MCO and looking to rent a vehicle the following day on April 9th from the MCO terminal. We are cruising out of Port Canaveral on Sunday, April 10th so are planning on driving the rental to Cape Canaveral that morning and dropping it. My problem is that there are 7 of us and we need a vehicle that will accommodate us and our luggage. I know we will have 1 suitcase per person (large to medium in size) and possibly a couple of tote type bags. I have called Budget and have a Ford Expedition reserved for the time being but I'm wondering if this is going to be big enough? We're trying to obviously rent the cheapest way possible. It's a little confusing at best!! Our friends from the UK "do not" drive while over in the US! I know with rental companies it's best to use a credit card versus a debit card and I have a credit card in my name so my thoughts were to rent 2 full size vehicles and sign my husband up to be the "additional driver" for the 2nd car, and obviously I'll drive the first car. I've heard over on another forum that this may not work. Can anyone offer any suggestions/advice?

Will the Ford Expedition be big enough for all 7 of us? (we are 4 adults, 2-14yo, and 1-16yo)

If we decide to go the route of 2 full size vehicles should my friend from the UK rent the 2nd full size car and add my husband on as the additional driver?

Thanks for any help you may have to offer!!

We did something simliar last August driving from Orlando to Miami. We had seven people with one suitcase each plus several small carry on bags. We rented a Chev Suburban from Budget and it fit everyone and the lugagge. I had to pack the luggage carefully but it all fit in the back and everyone had lots on legroom.

For both the Suburban and Expedition there are two different models. They are called XL or XLT indicating that it is an extended version. When you book make sure you book the that version and you will have enough space.

Archived