Mystery Dinner

ChCo38

Has anyone done the Mystery Dinner on Radiance of the Seas? We have done a Mystery Dinner on a train and had a lot of fun. When I saw that it was offered in the Portofino Restaurant I thought about booking it but I wanted to hear some reviews first. thanks

We are leaving today on the Explorer. We have the mystery dinner booked for Tues. When I get back I will tell you guys how it is. But if you want to do it I would book it now as it does sell out fast. Everyone I had spoke to loved it and all the beer and wine you can drink, you can't go wrong, lol.

Sharon

Has anyone done the Mystery Dinner on Radiance of the Seas? We have done a Mystery Dinner on a train and had a lot of fun. When I saw that it was offered in the Portofino Restaurant I thought about booking it but I wanted to hear some reviews first. thanks

We've done the Mystery Dinner on Adventure, and from what I read they are pretty much the same thruout the fleet. It was fun, the acting was a little campny and over the top, but still fun. For us it started out in Viking Crown with champagne and appetizers. Then we were led to Portofino where we had dinner and wine (no extra charge for the wine) and the acting continued between courses.

We have done the mystery dinner on Brilliance and Voyager. You start off the evening in the Viking Crown and enjoy a cocktail or two while the cast introduces themselves and sets the scene for the evening. They then perform the opening act.

Everyone then goes to Portofino's and enjoys a leisurely dinner during which the performers enact the entire plot in short sessions. After a hilarious time you then vote on who you think comitted the murder (having had lots of red herrings fed to you along the way). Who ever gets it right wins a small prize.

I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone, it takes up most of the evening from about 6.00 pm so don't schedule anything else.

Unfortunately the use the same script on all of the ships so once you have seen one, you know who comitted the dastardly deed on all subsequent ships.

My DH and I did the mystery dinner on the Serenade and it was much better than the both of us expected. The play and dinner were great and the place was packed. We would do it :)again............:)

My sister and I did the Mystery Dinner Theater on the Explorer and the Jewel and had a blast both times, even though the story was the same. In fact, my sister won the drawing on the second time we did it as we knew "who done it" and had the correct answer. She won a very nice RCCL gift package with various logo items (she split them with me!).

Hi there!

I was trying to find out how to book this for our cruise in April but I couldn't find out if the Mariner has it or not. Can anybody please help? I've been trying to get onto the Pre-Cruise Planner for several days now and it seems to be not working. Thank you.

Christina

Thanks for your replies! I am definitely going to see about booking this. I am now trying to find out which night it will be scheduled for. I hope it's not one of the nights that we are in port.

Mystery Dinner was not available on our Adventure cruise out of Malaga last summer and I hope that they have it on Voyager this year?

Karen

We are on Voyager next month, and have signed up for the Mystery Dinner. Really looking foward to it. :D

Just a quick question...is it always in Portofino? I want to try both upcharge locations early in the week (so we can go back if we like them before the week is up).

Yes, so far it's always been Portofino. Also, since you say you are interested in trying the different restaurants, bear in mind that the menu for the mystery dinner is only a partial Portofino menu. If you only go to Portofino as part of the mystery dinner, you will not be able to experience the entire menu.

Yes, so far it's always been Portofino. Also, since you say you are interested in trying the different restaurants, bear in mind that the menu for the mystery dinner is only a partial Portofino menu. If you only go to Portofino as part of the mystery dinner, you will not be able to experience the entire menu.

Good to know! (Wrong thread, but since it sort of goes with the topic...) Is the MDR menu the same every night? Or does that change too?

Good to know! (Wrong thread, but since it sort of goes with the topic...) Is the MDR menu the same every night? Or does that change too?

The MDR menu changes every night. There are usually 3-4 different items daily and 3-4 of the same items. The appetizers also change, though you might find Caesar Salad almost every night.

I am hoping that they continue with the Mystery Dinner on Voyager when the ship comes to Europe.

Lots of things appear to change when the ships are over here. In the MDR we were told last year that because the Spanish do not like lobster they discontinued it for the European voyages that summer and there were lots of other amendments to suit the tastes of the Spanish - shame really as they were not the only nationality on the ship at the time!!!!

Early and late dinner times were changed markedly and when people complained that they were given the early - 6.45 p.m. sitting - as they usually liked to eat late, all they did was turn up extremely late and this inconvenienced the waiters and MDR staff in general as they could not get them out before the late sitting arrived - and they would not rush either.

Karen

We are in the Grand Suite and wonder how far in advance do we need to book for the mystery dinner?

To my knowledge, they hold back a certain percentage of seats for booking on board. So even if you don't use the web site to book, you should still have a chance to book on board. I'd go straight to Portofino upon boarding and make a reservation. Being in a Grand Suite, you could also go to the Concierge and they will book for you, but many times the Concierge is only available later in the afternoon on boarding day. If it was me, I'd rather go to the restaurant earlier and book than wait for the Concierge to be available.

My mom will be using a scooter any problem with the mystery dinner?

I'm sure they'll accommodate your mom's scooter.

We have done the dinner twice and enjoyed it. A good meal and schmaltzy entertainment but fun. It's best when shared with friends. We had a table for 16 and it was just hilarious.:D

• 2 months later...

This sounds great. We're going on a 12-night cruise. Do they only have one mystery dinner per cruise? The cruise is just over a year away. When can I/should I make the reservation? Is it more likely to be on an at-sea day?

My concern would be that it would be scheduled for the day we're in Rome which is a 7pm departure, and I don't think we'd want to be back, ready for dinner, and in the Viking Crown by 6 (not counting the fact that we're likely to be exhausted from doing Rome in a day :)).

Does anyone have the menu for the mystery dinner? How is it different than the regular Portifino menu? If you do not drink beer or wine can they substitute a different drink for you like a screwdriver?

Loralie

Archived