Mystery Dinner

ChCo38

For someone who has done this recently.

Is the champagne/wine still included with the $49/50 you pay for the Mystery Dinner or do you have to pay extra for it now? I think I read somewhere that regular bar prices apply but maybe that is for mixed drinks.

For someone who has done this recently.

Is the champagne/wine still included with the $49/50 you pay for the Mystery Dinner or do you have to pay extra for it now? I think I read somewhere that regular bar prices apply but maybe that is for mixed drinks.

Champagne and wine are included. Wine is the house wine called La Terre.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a question.... I assume they don't use the restaurant JUST for the mystery dinner so... all the other people who only paid half the price (and get the full menu) also get to see the show? How is that fair?? (I'm not a wine drinker so that won't justify the $25)....

Yes, I have it booked but wondering if I should cancel and just do a regular reservation in portofino around 730 and still watch the show....??

Here's a question.... I assume they don't use the restaurant JUST for the mystery dinner so... all the other people who only paid half the price (and get the full menu) also get to see the show? How is that fair?? (I'm not a wine drinker so that won't justify the $25)....

Yes, I have it booked but wondering if I should cancel and just do a regular reservation in portofino around 730 and still watch the show....??

Did this on Explorer in January 2011 and restaurant was closed to public, only mystery diners were there.

The night of the Mystery Dinner, the restaurant is used exclusively for the Mystery Dinner.

Is the Mystery dinner usually on the first night for all ships? I wanted to book it for our FOS cruise in March, but we have children, so we can't attend the first night. Would I have better luck on another ship?

To my knowledge, they hold back a certain percentage of seats for booking on board. So even if you don't use the web site to book, you should still have a chance to book on board. I'd go straight to Portofino upon boarding and make a reservation. Being in a Grand Suite, you could also go to the Concierge and they will book for you, but many times the Concierge is only available later in the afternoon on boarding day. If it was me, I'd rather go to the restaurant earlier and book than wait for the Concierge to be available.

do they do this on the independence and can you book it on line

do they do this on the independence and can you book it on line

My understanding is that the Mystery Dinner is offered on any ship with a Portofino. Independence currently has a Portofino. Yes, you can book online.

Is the Mystery dinner usually on the first night for all ships? I wanted to book it for our FOS cruise in March, but we have children, so we can't attend the first night. Would I have better luck on another ship?

Mine was not the first night and I doubt it would be on the first night.

Redwell, we did the Murder/mystery dinner on Independence in 2008 ( I think) - her first year, and it was totally different to anything previously described! We started with drinks in Olive & Twist and were split into teams. We then spent the next couple of hours racing around the ship like lunatics looking for clues, taking photo's and speaking to "witnesses" and I don't remember there actually being a murder. We arrived back at Portafino's and handed in our "loot" which was checked whilst we ate our dinner. Following dinner the winners (our team of course) were anounced and were presented with our logo prizes. None of this was what we had expected but, having paid our money, everybody in our team decided to make the most of it and join in. We had a fantastic night and really enjoyed ourselves...........having said that I would never do it again, we had expected what everybody else on this post has described and what we ended up with really wasn't our sort of thing!!! I'd check with RCI before you book it on Independence.

Gill

We scheduled the mystery dinner for our upcoming cruise on FOS on February 19th and was surprised it was the first night. I was thinking about canceling but after reading these reviews I think we will keep the reservations. Can't wait two more weeks until our vacation begins.

Mine was not the first night and I doubt it would be on the first night.

Thanks. It's definitely on the first night and it looks like our sailing is not the only one. Maybe this is just on the FOS. This seems strange but maybe they don't want close down Portofino's another night.

We are booked for the Mystery Dinner on the FOS in 2 weeks and the Murder Mystery Dinner is the first night. I am excited about it but I don't think I would have booked it knowing it was the first night. I somehow thought it was the 3rd night. Anyway - we decided to still attend the Mystery Dinner.

Archived