Elegant/Formal Night Kaput on Carnival

OneNewTexan

That's sort of a lame exit. I have to think that you might have actually begun to realize that my points were valid and you just couldn't handle it. :)

you sound just like my X wife . Lynne , is that you ?

Facts is facts. Carnival long ago modified the suggested formal dress to reflect current standards and continues to update it. They finally changed it so much there are no more formal nights and just elegant, and eventually even those will disappear. The fashion police, until they die out, will continue to whine. Each day they are a smaller and smaller minority. No survey required. :p

Facts is facts. Carnival long ago modified the suggested formal dress to reflect current standards and continues to update it. They finally changed it so much there are no more formal nights and just elegant, and eventually even those will disappear. The fashion police, until they die out, will continue to whine. Each day they are a smaller and smaller minority. No survey required. :p

Don't you mean "opinions is opinions"? :) You have yet to back up any of your imagined facts with one single piece of evidence or proof. You're like a

broken record with defective grooves. :D

We were just on the Dream last month. People, ourselves included, were dressed nicely for dinner. I know that jeans were not allowed into the dining room on formal night. Sorry you had such a bad experience and that it ruined your vacation. We had a great time!

Our last cruise we all lugged our evening gowns, suits, jewelry, extra shoes, hot rollers etc. we got all dolled up and felt stupid. No one else was as dressed up as we were. This cruise we are doing a 7 day cruise and not checking our luggage. We are all going to try and fit all our clothes in one bag pp. we will bring nice shirt and cackys and maybe a skirt with nice shirt but nothing fancy. Its too much extra to pack. Shoes and suits take up too much room.

The fashion police, until they die out, will continue to whine. Each day they are a smaller and smaller minority. No survey required. :p

what really cracks me up is these people think there cruisin on the queen mary for gods sake . it carnival , the "fun ships" . If you want formal dinning most nights try sailing on a higher end cruise line ( if you can afford it ? )

http://www.silversea.com/

what really cracks me up is these people think there cruisin on the queen mary for gods sake . it carnival , the "fun ships" . If you want formal dinning most nights try sailing on a higher end cruise line ( if you can afford it ? )

http://www.silversea.com/

There is that one and also Crystal. I did read the Crystal is going all inclusive in 2012 so the old fossils won't need to smuggle hooch.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/

One problem is as the dementia progresses, they may have trouble learning their way around a different ship.

There is that one and also Crystal. I did read the Crystal is going all inclusive in 2012 so the old fossils won't need to smuggle hooch.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/

One problem is as the dementia progresses, they may have trouble learning their way around a different ship.

maybe they will forget their password to CC also ?

Just returned from our second and very last voyage on Carnival. Our first Carnival experience was over the Christmas holiday in 2008 and the passengers dressed reasonably well, probably due to the holiday season. Yesterday, we left the Triumph in New Orleans with the conclusion that the "Elegant Night" is really a joke on Carnival. Out of 3,500 passengers on board (1,100 of them children), only about five percent made any attempt to dress well in the dining room on "Elegant Night." Most were in jeans, shorts, T-shirts, and other very casual attire. I even saw some folks wearing flip-flops and one fello wearing gym sweats to the dining room. I did see about 20 men and boys wearing a tux. My son and I were two of this 20 or so. My wife and our two daughters were dressed appropriate for a formal dinner. This was really a let down to our family and is not what we expected. I know that many of you out there like this new super-casual dress standard, but it is not for us and we will be booking our future cruises on more upscale cruise lines where the passengers dress up more. I just cancelled a NCL booking this morning as we did not want to encounter the same lax dress code as we saw on Carnival. This is an FYI to all those new cruisers looking to book future trips. I will be booking Celebrity to replace the cancelled NCL booking.

After 30 cruises I have learned what I consider "formal" depends on the cruise line. I, like you, like to know that I'm going to get all dressed up for a special night and think that I will see the same thing. Unfortunately times have changed and formal has a whole different meaning now.

Most of the time formal means to me a plain black dress and dress it up with accessories (I can then use it for the 2nd formal night with different accessories) thereby keeping my luggage weight down and "blending in" with the occasion.

Yes, Carnival is quite informal but would it stop me from sailing them - No Way! On vacations that I want to "go all out" I choose a different cruise line.

I'm a people watcher and if everyone followed the rules my dinner conversation would not be quite as interesting.

I can certainly understand your familys dissapointment. If I were you I would just feel proud that your family looked so nice.I'm sure there were many positive thoughts toward you that you were unaware of.You most certainly should not have felt out of place being Elegant Night.

What a great post in the middle of all the nonsense.

No line is going to require that you wear tuxedos and gowns.

Carnival: a couple people will have tuxes, a few will have suits and about 30-40% will have sports coat with no tie. Most of the rest will just have a dress shirt.

Celebrity/Princess: a few people will have tuxes, most will have suits/sport coats with ties, a few will not wear ties, and a couple will just have a dress shirt.

RCI: Somewhere in between

THe ones in tuxes look stupid. This is vacation. Who really packs a tux? Really??

Some of the most expensive cruise lines out there have no elegant or formal nights. That's because people with real class don't equate a tux, a gown, nor anything else that is merely aesthetics to someone actually having class.

Now, I tend to flow more with the people who dress nicely on elegant night simply because I do enjoy seeing my family dressed well and it's fun....for me! However, to assume, and make statements, that people have no class if they chose to go the khaki/polo route is about the least classy thing I've seen on these boards in a while. Equating class, style,etc,...with clothing, is silly.

I'm a real estate Broker who deals in foreclosures. I have for almost a decade. I know some of the wealthiest people on the East Coast, including Ted Turner. I don't think I've ever seen that man in anything that my husband would be caught dead in, bless his heart. I'd say we can all agree than he can afford whatever the hell he'd like. Again, just because you feel the need to show everyone what you can afford doesn't mean you have class.

THe ones in tuxes look stupid. This is vacation. Who really packs a tux? Really??

Are you kidding me? You think they look stupid? While we don't pack tuxedos, we have rented them on board on a couple of cruises. Stupid is a rather harsh adjective. :cool:

Are you kidding me? You think they look stupid? While we don't pack tuxedos, we have rented them on board on a couple of cruises. Stupid is a rather harsh adjective. :cool:

What was that line from Forrest Gump?

The ones in tuxes do not look stupid. If someone wants to dress up in a tux that is their perogative. If someone wants to come in a dress shirt/pants with no tie or jacket that is their perogative too. They both look good to me and are following the Carnival's MDR dress code.

The ones that look stupid are the ones that don't meet the minimum dress code and expect to be served in the MDR. Who really packs wife beater's and basketball shorts for elegant night in the MDR? Really??

Bring back hoop skirts, the real ones, I say!

Oops, no more formal nights on Carnival. It doesn't seem to keep some from ignoring suggested dress and dressing formal anyway. :p

It doesn't keep some from ignoring required dressing rules either.

Archived