Hawaii excursion ideas for toddlers

Raze

Hi,

We are headed to Hawaii on the Golden Princess in less than two weeks. We have a 3 year old and 5 year old. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for great beaches near the terminal or easily accessible by bus? We will not be bringing car seats.

Also, anyone have any thoughts about bringing the toddlers to Pearl Harbor? We are leaning toward skipping it as it seems like a long slow day for them as well as hearing about the movie, which would not be appropriate for them.

These are the ports:

Kauai (Nawiliwili), Hawaii

Hilo, Hawaii

Honolulu, Hawaii

Maui (Lahaina)

Thanks!

Brian

I did that cruise on the Golden with my twin 4 year olds and we had the BEST time.

In Hilo we rented a car (the airport is near the port and if you reserve a car, they'll send a shuttle around to get you) and drove the straight line to the volcano national park. It was wonderful to do it on our own at our own pace and the kids loved it. There's a little hike through a rain forest-like area that we really enjoyed. It would be worth renting a car + car seats to see it. Then since we had the car, we hit the Kmart that was on the way back and got tons of inexpensive souvenirs (they have a souvenir area) and snacks, sodas, etc for the coming port and sea days.

In Kauai we walked to the beach. We got there early as there's a beach chair rental place that runs out of chairs and umbrellas when the ships are in. Great beach - the girls had a great time playing with local kids and there's a cafe where you can sit outside for lunch - or bring lots of snacks from home and have a late lunch back on board.

After lots of research, we skipped Pearl Harbor for the reasons you stated. We took the free cable-car type shuttle to the shopping area and also did the submarine ride (which I'm glad we did, but won't do again and wouldn't necessarily recommend). Would be a good beach day.

We missed Maui due to poor sea conditions - don't do as some did and wait to make purchases at that last stop just in case you don't get there. We ended up happy to have yet another sea day. I've never been on a cruise with so many activities on sea days - we never wanted to leave.

Best,

Mia

We did a 7 day cruise to Hawaii with DD when she was 2 1/2. We had a great trip with her! On the Big Island we also rented a car and went to the Volcanoes National Park, The Thurston Lava Tube and the Mauna Lau? Macademia nut farm.

On Kauai we rented a car and went to Waimea Canyon.

Maui- We didn't really do too much. We were flying there after the cruise. You might consider renting a car and going to Kaanapali Beach.

We did take DD to Pearl Harbor. It wasn't crowded the day we visited and it went smoothly. She wasn't thrilled but it was something I had to see.

If your kids like aquariums you might like to try the Maui Ocean Centre although you would need to rent a car and seats to get there unless there happened to be a shuttle bus. We spent a week on Maui a couple of summers ago when my youngest was 5 and she loved the aquarium.

Lisa

We are sailing on the Carnival Spirit on 4/10 with our 3 year old DD....of course we haven't been yet, but this is what we have planned:

1. Hilo - booked a tour through Ricky's Tours to go to Volcano National Park and some other stops....Ricky charges half for the youngsters and provides booster seats...his vans seat 12 comfortably.

2. Kona - we didn't book anything. We plan to take the Kona trolley to various stops and will probably just make it a beach day.

3. Kauai - DH and I are taking a Blue Hawaiian heli tour at 11am, but will rejoin our DD afterward....we plan to just go to the beach or check out the shops near the port.

4. Maui day 1 - we are renting a car to do the Road to Hana.

5. Maui day 2 - beach day again (can you tell we love beaches?).

6. Oahu - We are planning to rent a car to drive up to Northshore for shaved ice and to see the Dole Plantation.

DD loves the beach and has been talking about her bathng suit and sand castles for WEEKS, so we are trying to keep things sort of casual and left open for different possibilities depending on her mood.

We are sailing on the Carnival Spirit on 4/10 with our 3 year old DD....of course we haven't been yet, but this is what we have planned:

1. Hilo - booked a tour through Ricky's Tours to go to Volcano National Park and some other stops....Ricky charges half for the youngsters and provides booster seats...his vans seat 12 comfortably.

Poe, I would be VERY interested in reading how your little one handled Ricky's VNP tour. My son will be 4 for our Hawaiian cruise in September and I wasn't sure if Ricky's 5.5-hour tour would be too much for him. Please post about your experience when you get back! :o

4. Maui day 1 - we are renting a car to do the Road to Hana.

What is the state of DD's potty training? Be aware that bathrooms are few and far between on the Hana Highway. Also, be prepared for a long day; allow 8-10 hours for for a round-trip from Kahului to Hana and back (longer if you're going to continue around the backside via Kupahulu), including rest stops, looking at the sights, taking pictures, eating, etc. Finally, don't get too hung up about getting to the town of Hana itself. It's a nice enough place, but nothing extraordinary. The point of the Hana Highway is the journey, not the destination.

That said, it's so worth it. The Hana Highway is gorgeous beyond description; the most beautiful drive I've ever done, bar none.

What is the state of DD's potty training? .

Great point. I travel with the Potette travel potty. It folds small enough to fit in my backpack with disposable bags and wipes and has been SO useful while we're away. It's so great when you're with kids not to have to worry about taking time to find a restroom or how clean it will be etc.

Best,

Mia

I took my daughter at 14 months old.

Honolulu... drive around to the NE side and go to the aquarium/zoo there... it was fantastic for my DD. Also, the Hilton Hawaiian Village has some really cool stuff to see walking around - penguins and what not.

Hilo - We took a glass bottom boat and went to the Seahorse Farm

Maui - We drove over to Lahaina and went on a submarine tour which she LOVED. We also went to a Luau and she loved the music/costumes and was totally entertained.

Kauai - I took her with me on the Blue Hawaiian HeliTour and she loved it... fell asleep after a bit though and I don't think they charged for her. We also drove to Waimea Canyon. And we took a boat ride to the Fern Grotto (not so much fun for her).

Hope this helps!

If your kids like aquariums you might like to try the Maui Ocean Centre although you would need to rent a car and seats to get there unless there happened to be a shuttle bus. We spent a week on Maui a couple of summers ago when my youngest was 5 and she loved the aquarium.

Lisa

Oh, I forgot about this, yes, it was FANTASTIC. My daughter still remembers the Hammerhead sharks. And they had a guy in the giftshop making names out of Hawaiian items with a sponge (Dolphin for a J, Mermaid on a waterfall for an A) etc. It still hangs on my daughter's wall and was very reasonable.

Archived