Maho Beach in St. Maartin

greenbrier

Forgive me if I put the wrong spelling of the island in the title- I don't know whether this beach is on the French or Dutch side.

I was watching the videos of the planes landing in the airport very close to Maho Beach, and was wondering how far that is from the port. I would think that would be a very cool do-it-yourself excursion.

Also, if we end up having to cross the "border" what do we have to do- passports, etc?

We're going on Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Dream- anyone know about how many people will be in port that day?

Thanks!

It's about a 30 minute drive from the port and it's well worth seeing. No borders to cross, just a nice scenic drive over there. But, leave plenty of time coming back, at least two hours before the time to be back because the traffic gets heavy in the afternoon and you could get stuck by the bridge raising.

I would look in the Ports of Call section here- I will be there next week and I think it is on the Dutch side. But don't know about the passports or how many ships in port. There is a web site that tells you but can't find that either. So, not much help other than redirecting you.

No need to show passports when crossing between the dutch and French sides. It is an open border that you can freely cross without stopping.

Maho beach is nice. There is a small beach bar next to the beach.

It is on the Dutch side - and no papers are checked going from one side to the other (French/Dutch)/ This is COOLEST place I have ever been, there is a little bar/cafe - Sunset Bar right on the beach so you can watch the planes. The larger aircraft tend to arrive mid-afternoon ;) I can't wait to go back!

It's about a 30 minute drive from the port and it's well worth seeing. No borders to cross, just a nice scenic drive over there. But, leave plenty of time coming back, at least two hours before the time to be back because the traffic gets heavy in the afternoon and you could get stuck by the bridge raising.

This is the truth. We caught a nice, new Toyota minivan cab at the port and drove right to Maho beach in 30 min or less. The cab back, however, was more like a 1980 Toyota minivan with no carpeting--metal floors. Turns out it was a cab for locals. He made several stops picking up additional passengers-- all of whom were speaking French to each other and to the driver. I started to get concerned when he left the main road and headed into a " neighborhood"--was afraid we were being set-up. (My wife and I were on one row and our 2 kids were on seaparte rows--all trapped in by other passengers). He dropped each passenger off one at a time and then left the 4 of us sitting in his van alone while he walked into a parking lot and looked for something in a parked car. Crazy! In the end he dropped us at the ship after 50 minutes, bur the price was half what we paid to get to Maho. Was it worth it? You bet! Skip the bar and sit on the beach right under the flight path. We had a 757 go over us and we could have tossed a tennis ball up and hit it as it flew overhead.

I'll have to agree. We went as a thing to do before our actual excursion started, but could only be there for about ten minutes because our cab driver was worried about not making it back in time.

How sad is it that St.Martin has to use planes and a runway to fill out the excursion choices.

This is just my opinion, not tryin' to start anything.

Even with the tighter security in the US, there are plenty of places if you want to look at planes landing.

IMHO!

mimi

How sad is it that St.Martin has to use planes and a runway to fill out the excursion choices.

Even with the tighter security in the US, there are plenty of places if you want to look at planes landing.

IMHO!

mimi

Apparently you don't know much about Maho. Read before you post. ;) The planes are directly over your head, and sorry, but it is a destination for many people visiting St. Maarten

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/MahoBay.html

IMHO!

mimi

Oh yes. You can see this:

http://travel.webshots.com/video/3075094940104854342LLRGbd

Anywhere! LOL

IMHO!

mimi

HUH, nothing sad as they don't use it as their excursion. LOL. Anyway, it is not for me but a lot of people love it. I am not aware of any beach airports in the US where the plane flies just above you. If there are please let me know.

Thanks for all the many replies! Looking over some of the replies brought up more questions! Hope you don't mind! Thanks!

It is on the Dutch side - and no papers are checked going from one side to the other (French/Dutch)/ This is COOLEST place I have ever been, there is a little bar/cafe - Sunset Bar right on the beach so you can watch the planes. The larger aircraft tend to arrive mid-afternoon ;) I can't wait to go back!

Does the Dream port on the French or Dutch side?

The Carnival Dream is in port the same day as the Oasis of the Seas. So with 4,000 Dreamers and 6,000 Oasis-ers, it should be a pretty full day in port.

Is this a very popular location for people- as in are there going to be a couple thousand on this beach?

This is the truth. We caught a nice, new Toyota minivan cab at the port and drove right to Maho beach in 30 min or less. The cab back, however, was more like a 1980 Toyota minivan with no carpeting--metal floors. Turns out it was a cab for locals. He made several stops picking up additional passengers-- all of whom were speaking French to each other and to the driver. I started to get concerned when he left the main road and headed into a " neighborhood"--was afraid we were being set-up. (My wife and I were on one row and our 2 kids were on seaparte rows--all trapped in by other passengers). He dropped each passenger off one at a time and then left the 4 of us sitting in his van alone while he walked into a parking lot and looked for something in a parked car. Crazy! In the end he dropped us at the ship after 50 minutes, bur the price was half what we paid to get to Maho. Was it worth it? You bet! Skip the bar and sit on the beach right under the flight path. We had a 757 go over us and we could have tossed a tennis ball up and hit it as it flew overhead.

How much does it cost to take a taxi from the port to the beach?

Thanks for all the many replies! Looking over some of the replies brought up more questions! Hope you don't mind! Thanks!

Is this a very popular location for people- as in are there going to be a couple thousand on this beach?

It goes on 24/7 so the crowd depends on what time you go. We went in the afternoon and it was not too crowded. Crowds come and go. BTW: I call it Sunset Beach as that is where you'll be. There is a bar and food establishment there as well. I can't remember how much the cab ride was but ask some of the cabbies what they charge to take you there until you get the right price. There are also many cabs at the beach to take you back to the port or go to another site. I know we thought the price was reasonable for what we got in return. Go into town to grab a cab as I think it may be lower cost. Of the 2 cab rides, it cost us a little less to get back to the port than it did to get to the beach.

We were there the day before Thanksgiving '08--several large ships in port that day--and I'd say there were maybe 50 people on the beach right under the flight path during peak arrival time in the late afternoon. The restaurant at the far end of the beach was packed. Don't remember what it cost for the cab, but I remember it was far more reasonable for a family of 4 than the taxis in St Thomas.

Of all the 26 days I have spent cruising, St. Maarten is my favorite! We did the snuba excursion, where your air tank floats on the surface of the water and you have a 30' line to your mouthpiece, coolest thing I have done. We walked on the bottom of the ocean floor! Afterward my cousin, his girlfriend, my boyfriend and myself rented a jeep and set off to explore the island on our own. We needed directions to Maho Bay so we stopped at a small market to ask - I went in and they drew me a map on the inside of a beer box. We found our way and unfortunately we didn't see any planes, but the water and beach are amazing and we all got a picture with the "Danger" sign!

I would recommend St. Maarten to anyone that is deciding on a cruise, and

I would recommend Maho Bay to anyone that is going to St. Maarten.

Thanks everyone!

While you've received some good advice here, I'm not certain that all of your questions have been answered.

Maho Beach and the Cruise Facility are both located on the Dutch side.

Check the official Port of St. Maarten schedule to see which ships are in port ON YOUR DAY OF VISIT.

There are TWO bars on Maho Beach, Sunset Bar and Grill, which is best known, and Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar, which can be considerably cheaper.

Take a taxi from the Cruise Facility or downtown, as it is the same price. The association is well monitored, regulated and has set prices. On your return, make sure that the vehicle carries a "TAXI" license plate.

Some people just don't care for the Maho experience. That's fine. We (and many others) LOVE it.

Not that it will matter with your cruise visit, but the planes do NOT arrive 24/7. The earliest is usually after 7:00 AM and they usually finish by 9:00 PM or so, barring delays, but the schedule is varied.

Joyce Prince has a page on her website that shows the actual, real-time traffic. Check it on the same day of the week as you will vist, a week or two weeks before your arrival.

You would see a handful of small flights arriving before 9:00, then a good number, perhaps a dozen, of the 'puddle jumpers' arriving before noon, with maybe two larger planes, like 757's.

Things usually get busiest and heaviest between noon and 3:00 or so with many of the larger planes arriving. After that it really drops off until the final arrivals around 8:30 or 9:00.

Enjoy your visit AND Maho.

gary

While you've received some good advice here, I'm not certain that all of your questions have been answered.

Maho Beach and the Cruise Facility are both located on the Dutch side.

Check the official Port of St. Maarten schedule to see which ships are in port ON YOUR DAY OF VISIT.

There are TWO bars on Maho Beach, Sunset Bar and Grill, which is best known, and Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar, which can be considerably cheaper.

Take a taxi from the Cruise Facility or downtown, as it is the same price. The association is well monitored, regulated and has set prices. On your return, make sure that the vehicle carries a "TAXI" license plate.

Some people just don't care for the Maho experience. That's fine. We (and many others) LOVE it.

Not that it will matter with your cruise visit, but the planes do NOT arrive 24/7. The earliest is usually after 7:00 AM and they usually finish by 9:00 PM or so, barring delays, but the schedule is varied.

Joyce Prince has a page on her website that shows the actual, real-time traffic. Check it on the same day of the week as you will vist, a week or two weeks before your arrival.

You would see a handful of small flights arriving before 9:00, then a good number, perhaps a dozen, of the 'puddle jumpers' arriving before noon, with maybe two larger planes, like 757's.

Things usually get busiest and heaviest between noon and 3:00 or so with many of the larger planes arriving. After that it really drops off until the final arrivals around 8:30 or 9:00.

Enjoy your visit AND Maho.

gary

That's perfect- all my questions answered in one place. Thank you very much!

Archived