A review of the Chef's Dinner with the Captain on the Dawn

rjm11

We had the pleasure of doing the chef's dinner with the captain on the Dawn last week. According to the Captain, they do this about once a month, and we were lucky enough to have it on our cruise. The cost was $75 per person, and included a lovely menu paired with unlimited wine, with only 14 people along with the Captain and the Food/Beverage director. We were all seated around a large table in a private room in between Aqua and Impressions.

The food and service were outstanding.... the kind of service where they all set the plates down in unison, and never let your glass get empty! I think my husband brought home the menu, and if so I'll post it here, but as I'm remembering, the menu was something like this:

First Course: Pate' in puff pastry

Second Course: Seafood Bisque

Third Course: Salad with oranges

*champagne sorbet*

Fourth Course: Choice of:

1. Duck

2. Sea bass

3. Filet mignon with shrimp

Fifth Course: Choice of:

1. Berries with white chocolate

2. Dark chocolate hazelnut pudding

Sixth Course:

Stilton and fruit.

Well worth the price... there was so much food and wine, and the service was outstanding. If you get the chance to do this, I highly recommend it!

The Concierge asked us if we wanted to do this and it was either on the Dawn or the Star. If I remember it correctly.. wasn't it like $75.00 per person? When the Concierge offered it to us he was telling how they served a different wine with each course. We told him that we do not drink wine so he told us that, in his opinion, it probably wouldn't be worth the cost. Would you agree with him on that, if this is the same dinner I'm thinking of?

Edit:.. I re-read your posting and saw the $75.00 per person.. I don't know how I missed that the first time I read it.. but I still would like to know if you felt like it was worth the cost if you do not drink wine.. 8-)

The Concierge asked us if we wanted to do this and it was either on the Dawn or the Star. If I remember it correctly.. wasn't it like $75.00 per person? When the Concierge offered it to us he was telling how they served a different wine with each course. We told him that we do not drink wine so he told us that, in his opinion, it probably wouldn't be worth the cost. Would you agree with him on that, if this is the same dinner I'm thinking of?

Edit:.. I re-read your posting and saw the $75.00 per person.. I don't know how I missed that the first time I read it.. but I still would like to know if you felt like it was worth the cost if you do not drink wine.. 8-)

Well the food and the service were certainly top-notch, but it'd be hard to say if they were worth $40 more per person compared to going to Cagney's or LeBistro and ordering off the $10 extra menu (totally $35 then compared to $75). Factoring in the wine made the experience completely worth it.... for the two of us we spent $150- at Cagney's we spent $120 after surcharges and a bottle of wine! The food served wasn't anything that was available on any of the other menus, which was nice too... you knew you got to try some new things.

I guess the other thing to consider is how much the "dinner with the Captain" part is worth to you.... it was nice talking with him and the other officers, and we all had our picture taken, etc..... But I would have paid that just for the meal paired with wines without the Captain being there!

It was not limited to suite guests... we were in "regular" balcony cabins. I don't recall seeing it in the Daily, but it may have been there. We noticed it posted (with menu) at the restaurant reservation desk in the Atrium, and also at the desk where you purchase the wine packages on the first day (also in the atruim). Then they had a menu describing it on the desk at the Garden Buffet where they have all the menus for the specialty restaurants displayed. They were also doing a "Jazz Brunch" in one of the dining rooms on a sea day, and that flyer/board was there too.

If you are planning on it, you might want to bring fancier clothes.... my husband had brought dress pants, but mostly hawaiian shirts and polo shirts. He borrowed a sport coat and tie from my father! Most women were in dresses, and most men had sport coats, but most did not have ties.

Archived