NCL Sun vs Carnival Conquest

rdrseller

We are currently booked on the Conquest for 4/3/05 and are rapidly planning our next cruise. We were thinking of trying another line and see if we would enjoy it more.

Can anyone that has a good knowledge of the two lines offer any suggestions. It would be me, husband and teenage daughter. This time we have a Penthouse Suite and would want the same accomodations on the next cruise.

All the info received from these threads are invaluable and responses are greatly appreciated.:)

I didnt like the Conquest. It was my least favorite of the 4 Carnival cruises we took. We love Princess. Have gone 4 times with kids. Have been on NCL twice. My kids aren't crazy about NCL. I would try RCL with kids if I was you. We are trying it this spring break for the lst time.

Haven't been on the Conquest, though we are going on the Glory in April so we will get to try out the new "big" Carnival ships. We did sail on the Sun and also the Dawn. We took our kids (younger) both times and they had a ball. Both ships are really pretty and we liked the freestyle dining with kids because the pressure to be somewhere exactly on time wasn't there. I still think NCL outshines all others in entertainment, although our last Celebrity cruise came close. Hope this helps, if you have more specific questions, fire away!

I didnt like the Conquest. It was my least favorite of the 4 Carnival cruises we took. We love Princess. Have gone 4 times with kids. Have been on NCL twice. My kids aren't crazy about NCL. I would try RCL with kids if I was you. We are trying it this spring break for the lst time.

Can you tell me what you don't like about the Conquest, Were sailing on her,(first cruise) in April.

Can't comment on the other lines but...we have sailed the Conquest and enjoyed it emmensely. Its big and once you figure out the lay out not hard to get around on. We did the dinner club and it was super. If they brought one more "compliments of the chef" item to our table i swear I would have exploded.

I have been on both lines, and I liked Carnival much more then NCL.

Especially with Children. I found NCL not to have much going on for families.

I loved My first Carnival cruise so much I booked another cruise the day I got home.

Many of the people on the Conquest with us also disliked the cruise. It is possible it was because it was the first week they were on the sea. The crew was new on the ship and very unfriendly (I am sure this crew is no longer there) and we thought it was too crowded with people everywhere. There was no where to hide, never any seats on the pool decks, people saving seats everywhere. There was always lines in the buffet area and it was impossible to find a table. We loved the shows. Carnival has the best shows out there. It was just the attitude of the crew and the size of the ship. There were over 3200 passengers on there the week we were on there. I just realized after that cruise that I really don't enjoy the cruises with 3000 passengers. I now try to find ships with a passenger number around 2500 or below. This cruise is the one that changed my mind. We stopped doing Carnival cruises after this cruise. My kids are still begging to go back on Carnival but we have since done 4 Princess, 2 NCL and 2 RCL. I dont know if we will go back to Carnival. Only time will tell.

Here's my 2 cents:

Have sailed the Pride and NCL Sun and booked on Valor for June. We sailed the Sun in January and were not impressed. The ship itself was very nice but the entertainment in the theater was mediocre and the food was just so-so. We did not like the Freestyle dining...there was usually a line to get seated. Servers did not go out of their way to do anything special. I always enjoy getting to know our servers and in freestyle you don't have the chance to do that.

The cruise staff almost seemed like it was too much work to even TRY to look like they were having a good time...sail away party was a joke!!! CD Colin was great though....too bad his personality didn't rub off on the rest of his staff!

SO....I would pick Carnival over NCL anyday....better food, entertainment and better ships!

Beth

Thanks for all great information. I happened by check with my TA and asked what her feelings were about the two lines. She said that she had always had gotten more complaints for her customers that had cruise NCL the most.

I think I will stay with Carnival.

I loved the CONQUEST and our group of 38 from ages early thirties to early eighties ALL loved the ship. we had 2 teenage girls ages 15 and 16 and they loved staying up late and were able to participate in late night parties on Lido. we all had a great time and the FOOD was exceptional. Great food photos and detailed description here in the CONQUEST FOOD AND FUN album.

http://community.webshots.com/user/bettyf12

would love to go back on this ship again. we all had a fantastic time :D

I have not been on the Conquest but have sailed on the Triumph and Victory as well as NCL Sun. I loved all three ships. I think the main difference is in dining. Maybe I'm just wishy washy but there are advantages to both dining styles. I liked not having to worry about making it to dinner at a particular time but I also enjoy getting to know the Carnival wait staff. They also make an effort to remember what you like and bring it to you without your asking. I was happy with the food on both cruiselines. The one thing NCL does that I really like is they allow you to wait in your cabin on disembarkation day. I would happily sail on the Sun or other NCL ships again. Same goes for Carnival.

Archived