Who's been on the NCL Pearl with small kids?

jhdoublin

I was on the Pearl last summer to Alaska with a 3 and 4 year old (the 3 year old had JUST turned 3). We were in one of the courtyard villas, so we had the small pool there, which was good for the 4 year old... the 3 year old wore a lifejacket in it since he can't swim unassisted. (we brought life jackets for the whale watching trip)

There is a small pool by the main pool deck... probably 10 feet in diameter and about a 1-1.5 feet deep, with a small slide into it. It's in a covered/shaded area, so it worked well for Alaska, and will also shade from the sun nicely on a warm weather cruise. There were a few small playground type toys around it... a see/saw thing, a couple ride-on toys with the big springs underneath... that sort of thing. And there was a big water slide at the main pool.... my 4 year old went on it just fine. It "lands" into a shallow pool (really just flat extension of the slide) so no issue there. It did not seem to have a height restriction, so if your 3 year old is game, it might work. But no big water park area.

When I get home I can try to post a picture of the small splash pool/slide if you're interested. We just got off the NCL Dawn with the kids.... on both the Pearl and the Dawn they have the kids buffet.... it was awesome for the kids to have their favorites right there, with small size tables/chairs, and a lower buffet for them to see everything themselves.

are you going to Alaska on the Pearl? Or caribbean?

I haven't seen the kids buffet? That sounds like a fabulous idea- I am so thankful when people make smart decisions for us families that travel with small kids!! :o)

We are doing the Eastern to Dominican Rep, Tortola, St, Thomas (which we ferry ourselves to st John) and then their private island which is a good stay on the ship day!

This is one of the few Easterns that leave out of Florida that do other places that your typical Thomas, PR, and Marteen. So that is nice for people that cruise a lot to get to do different ports- you eventually get bored with the sames ones to an extent- while any ship is better than being at home.

This time I booked a mini-suite guarantee- but would love for the upgrade fairy to send me to a villa!! But not holding my breath....

Although- with Carnival- I have never not been upgraded.....other cruiselines aren't as generous.

Yes, if you have pics please post.

I did find a website last night called icruise dot com and it had a lot of pics of staterooms for the ship- I didn't look but I would imagine other ships would be there as well.

Julie

The NCL Dawn cruise that we just returned from also stopped at Tortola and DR... in tortola we got a taxi to Cane Garden Bay. It was a great beach for the kids... soft sandy bottom with gentle slope in. They played in the water all day. We were told it was a little "rough" the day we were there, and it still seemed calm to me! (of course I'm from the shores of Lake Erie) In DR we did the Cayo Levantado beach escape through NCL... this was pricey for a beach day ($49 for adults, and $29 for kids I think), but it was worth it to have the priority tenders that you get with an excursion since this is a tender stop. And the tenders went right over to Cayo without stopping at the dock in Samana, so it was only a 5-10 min ferry ride from the ship. Very easy with the kids. The beach there was lovely too.... very nice for swimming and playing. Lots of natural shade available, and soft white sand! We'd go again.

Yes, the kids buffet is a wonderful invention... it's in it's own section at the back of buffet on the Pearl, so you have to look for it a little (separated from the main buffet), but they had things like chix fingers, hot dogs, burgers, fries, carrot sticks, cut up fruit, mac n cheese, pasta, etc. And for breakfast cereals, pancakes, bacon/sausage, fruit, french toast. Everything a kid would need!

Fabulous idea....kudos to NCL. I don't think I have seen this on CCL or RC?

Hear of any adventurous things to do - suitable for an active 3 year old? Maybe something with animals? He loves doing the monkey tour with Boden in Honduras- would recommend that one for others.

Julie

The NCL Dawn cruise that we just returned from also stopped at Tortola and DR... in tortola we got a taxi to Cane Garden Bay. It was a great beach for the kids... soft sandy bottom with gentle slope in. They played in the water all day. We were told it was a little "rough" the day we were there, and it still seemed calm to me! (of course I'm from the shores of Lake Erie) In DR we did the Cayo Levantado beach escape through NCL... this was pricey for a beach day ($49 for adults, and $29 for kids I think), but it was worth it to have the priority tenders that you get with an excursion since this is a tender stop. And the tenders went right over to Cayo without stopping at the dock in Samana, so it was only a 5-10 min ferry ride from the ship. Very easy with the kids. The beach there was lovely too.... very nice for swimming and playing. Lots of natural shade available, and soft white sand! We'd go again.

Yes, the kids buffet is a wonderful invention... it's in it's own section at the back of buffet on the Pearl, so you have to look for it a little (separated from the main buffet), but they had things like chix fingers, hot dogs, burgers, fries, carrot sticks, cut up fruit, mac n cheese, pasta, etc. And for breakfast cereals, pancakes, bacon/sausage, fruit, french toast. Everything a kid would need!

Archived