Best Island for Snorkeling

yusi1906

Maui has many fine snorkel locations, including places where you can walk in from shore in the Wailea/Makena area. Molokini is great but sometimes becomes crowded because most excursion boats go there in the morning due to winds that typically come up in the afternoon. Once when we were there we felt like we were jammed in a wall-to-wall Safeway-type aquatic parking lot of boats, with other snorkelers' fins flapping in our faces; another time we went in the afternoon and were lucky to have no wind, and had it to ourselves, which was idyllic and amazing!

Our best snorkeling experience on Big Island was by the Captain Cook monument on Kealakekua Bay. I was also lucky to swim among spinner dolphins twice there, when we were staying at a B&B near its shores. Not captive dolphins (I am not a fan of keeping dolphins captive) -- these were free and playful and it was a thrill of a lifetime. I did NOT make any attempt to interact with them, rather simply swam and floated and enjoyed watching them being their joyful selves; they seemed to regard me as a nonintrusive, benign presence.

As always, there's a big element of luck as so much depends on wind, surges, clarity of water for visibility, and who else is there when you are, both other people and underwater creatures. I do love sharing their world every chance I get . . . .

Both are great. However the best snorkeling was at the place of refuge around 20 minutes drive from Kona. We rented a car and had a great time.

Zow, My dream is to one day snorkel/swim with wild dolphins.

I snorkeled at Molokini last time and I was not impressed. The catamaran went to an area "Turtle cove" I think and I enjoyed that more even though visibility was poor, it had several turtles swimming and lots more coral.

Next cruise in July I am going to Kona and doing the Fair Winds II at captain cook area and I hear thats the best.

Which island is best for snorkeling? Maui or Kona?

We are trying to decide between snorkeling in Molokini or the Sea Quest in Kona?

Thanks!

Read kwbound's "Exhaustive Review". She went on both Molokini snorkel trip and Sea Quest. She's posted a wonderful review (of both) with pictures. Scroll thru her review to Day 5 "Snorkeling Molokini..." and then Day 6 "Kona.." Read for yourself but I believe she preferred her Kona experience with Sea Quest.

We are planning a Molokini Crater snorkel with Trilogy and then snorkeling on our own in Kona at Two-Step in May. I will write a review when we return.

I think the SeaQuest may be better, but I cannot do the small snorkel boats like that.(access problems). Since this is our first time in Hawaii we decide to go to Molokini since it is unique. We will probably return some day and try another experience!

We are planning a Molokini Crater snorkel with Trilogy and then snorkeling on our own in Kona at Two-Step in May. I will write a review when we return.

I think the SeaQuest may be better, but I cannot do the small snorkel boats like that.(access problems). Since this is our first time in Hawaii we decide to go to Molokini since it is unique. We will probably return some day and try another experience!

Ginny,

I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy Molokini. We've done it and I think everyone should -- granted it was 20 years ago but I have great memories of our experience. And you're right, the "rafts" used at some of the Kona outfitters may end up being troublesome. I look forward to your review when you get back (I think you're sailing the week after us on POA). Getting close now! Can't wait!!!

Ginny,

I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy Molokini. We've done it and I think everyone should -- granted it was 20 years ago but I have great memories of our experience. And you're right, the "rafts" used at some of the Kona outfitters may end up being troublesome. I look forward to your review when you get back (I think you're sailing the week after us on POA). Getting close now! Can't wait!!!

We'll wave to each other as you disembark and we embark!:D

I learned the hard way to check snorkel ladders, etc after two very harrowing and embarrassing sail boat excursions. I didn't learn too well after the first. I guess I'm a slow learner.:rolleyes:

This sight will give you many opinions of peoples diving / snorkeling experiences on The Hawaiian Islands. First click on the island you want to check out then click the snorkel spot you want to look at. The sight will give you driving directions to the area you choose with details of parking, best entry spots and other helpful hints of the location. There are many reviews from divers and snorkelers both and many of the details will be helpful to either. http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard the Molokini is crowded and the water get cloudy from the sand.

I agree with an earlier poster that Captain Cook was an excellent snorkel spot. There is also a park next to the Kona Outrigger on Aihi Drive that is very good.

Archived