Woman sues Carnival

yankee46

I don't think I ever knew how seriously injured she was from coffee. Third degree burns are serious. At her age, I'm honestly surprised she didn't die from injuries that serious.

Burn incident

On February 27, 1992, Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman from Albuquerque, New Mexico, ordered a 49 cent cup of coffee from the drive-through window of a local McDonald's restaurant. Liebeck was in the passenger's seat of her Ford Probe, and her nephew Chris parked the car so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. Stella placed the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the far side of the lid toward her to remove it. In the process, she spilled the entire cup of coffee on her lap.[10] Liebeck was wearing cotton sweatpants; they absorbed the coffee and held it against her skin, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.[11] Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent.[12] She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her down to 83 pounds.[13] Two years of medical treatment followed.

I think she sued the wrong company. She should have sued the company that made the sweat pants that were not coffee resistant. Imagine, they didn't repell it one bit, just held it in.

Speed in the ocean, like speed on a highway does not cause motion sickness. If that were the case, people in jet going 500 MPH would all suffer from motion sickness.

Motion sickness is caused by a conflict between the eyes and ears. If a person is inside and the ship is moving because of the waves (not the speed of the ship - the size of the waves) then the eyes see no movement and the ears sense the movement and motion sickness is the result.

You can get motion sickness while sitting still in a house that is not moving if you are playing a computer game that shows a lot of movement. The eyes see movement, the ears sense none and motion sickness can and does happen.

Yep! That is exactly right. I get it if I read while riding in a car. But I get it on planes and anything else that moves if there is a conflict in my vision.

Oops, didn't respond to orignal posting. I hope they are truely from Indiana and really don't understand the difference between bathtub, pond/lake, and OCEAN. Those of us from coastal towns, who were also brought up around the water, and have sailed for many years know better. As someone posted earlier, seasickness is an equalibrium (sp?) problem, many times associated with an inner ear infection.

When the water (ocean) is calm, people will or should not experience any ill effects, no matter what speed the vessel (boat or ship) is going. As the seas get rougher, waves and swells, the vessel will experience different motions. There is rolling, side to side motion; pitching, pounding and yawing, these are the motions the vessel makes as it rises and falls with the waves and swells. It is easier to get sick on a boat/ship that is stopped or going slow, than one that is going fast. Many times when speed is increased, the ride is smoother, than when slow. It doesn't say what ship she was on, where she cruised from, or when she cruised.

As most experienced cruisers know, the waters can be muc rougher during HURRICANE season, thats why cruises are cheaper then. Also teh North Atlantic will be much rougher than the Carribean. That's not saying the Carribean doesn't get rough. Immagine being on an 82foot patrol boat in 15 to 20 foot seas, that is not fun.

Full story click below

Shes from Indiana and flew to Miami on a PLANE! (she didn't get sick on the plane which travels 100X faster than the ship LOL... What a waste of time for our court system :confused:

Discussed yesterday.

Discussed yesterday.

Maybe though some did not see the other thread yesterday and will see this one....

He!!...I saw 7 new threads today on smoking and there were 8 yesterday...Trying to understand your post and point.....:rolleyes:

Maybe though some did not see the other thread yesterday and will see this one....

He!!...I saw 7 new threads today on smoking and there were 8 yesterday...Trying to understand your post and point.....:rolleyes:

The point is, multiple threads are useless on the same subject and the other discussion is still going on.

Name one.

I may not be able to name one that was pulled for one injury, but I know Infantino baby slings were pulled because of three. Tilt and Bud Extra were pulled with no injuries that I know of.

I'm not saying whether these were right or wrong. I am responding to golfadj's comment that he had to lose out because of one person's carelessness. It was far more than one person in that instance and sometimes it only takes a few instances to tell us that something is unsafe.

Full story click below

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...-sues/148707/1

Shes from Indiana and flew to Miami on a PLANE! (she didn't get sick on the plane which travels 100X faster than the ship LOL... What a waste of time for our court system :confused:

The ship travels about 20 knots or 23 MPH. So the plane travels 2,300 MPH. I don't think so. Even the Concord did not travel that fast.

You know I was thinking about this from a different perspective and I seriously can't stand how people can be. It's almost like people don't pledge to the flag.... they pledge to a new MOTTO (because reciting a pledge is too long and confusing these days):

SUE!!! IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY!!!

I work in a contact center of a financial institution specifically in Lending and Collateral Control. I swear, people will threaten legal action if they don't get what they want; when they wanted it; how they wanted; and with a disney magic smile attached along with it... and extras attached to it....... even though they put NO effort into doing what THEY need to do.

Anyone reading this who has ever complained really quickly for something when you did no research, thought, or work on your part: PICK UP A BOOK AND READ.... GO ON THE INTERNET.... WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO--EDUCATE YOURSELF TO FIND THAT THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU NOR SHOULD YOU EXPECT IT TO!!

And for God's sake... someone please shut up every single lawyer who takes a case as frivolous as this!!

You know I was thinking about this from a different perspective and I seriously can't stand how people can be. It's almost like people don't pledge to the flag.... they pledge to a new MOTTO (because reciting a pledge is too long and confusing these days):

I work in a contact center of a financial institution specifically in Lending and Collateral Control. I swear, people will threaten legal action if they don't get what they want; when they wanted it; how they wanted; and with a disney magic smile attached along with it... and extras attached to it....... even though they put NO effort into doing what THEY need to do.

Anyone reading this who has ever complained really quickly for something when you did no research, thought, or work on your part: PICK UP A BOOK AND READ.... GO ON THE INTERNET.... WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO--EDUCATE YOURSELF TO FIND THAT THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU NOR SHOULD YOU EXPECT IT TO!!

And for God's sake... someone please shut up every single lawyer who takes a case as frivolous as this!!

Here here

I agree 100%. It's just ONE of the reasons I hate all those People's Court type shows. Besides the fact that they are trashy, they encourage the idea that court is the solution to every disappointment. I suppose it's better than violence being the answer, but isn't there some more intelligent answer? :rolleyes:

I am standing at my desk applauding you!!!!! Bravo Bravo!

what????? Duh your on a boat for crying out loud. Im surprised there was a lawyer willing to accept that case, rediculous. I hope she has to pay a pretty penny fort lawyers fees and then loses in the end.

What lawyer? She sued in small claims court.

I lived in MI when this happened and good ol Jeffery Figaer was her Att.

And yes she really was burned bad. But please if you put coffee or tea between your leggs or on your lap.... Hello asking to get burned..

Should I sue the cigg company becuse i dropped the hot of the end of my cigg and burned my legg it is common sense.

People sue becuse they make stupid mistakes and blame the big money corps...

People often refer to this incident, but what many don't know is that this woman suffered first degree burns that required skin grafts, now that was some HOT coffee!! McDonald's was at fault, they were sued, lost and had to pay the cost of this woman's pain and suffering, medical and disfigurement.

I may not be able to name one that was pulled for one injury, but I know Infantino baby slings were pulled because of three. Tilt and Bud Extra were pulled with no injuries that I know of.

So, how many children need to be killed or injured before you would pull a dangerous product?

I'm not saying whether these were right or wrong. I am responding to golfadj's comment that he had to lose out because of one person's carelessness. It was far more than one person in that instance and sometimes it only takes a few instances to tell us that something is unsafe.

Since you brought this up after the thread turned to a discussion about the McDonald's coffee issue, you should know that there were more than more 700 claims of people burned by McDonald's coffee between 1982 and 1992. As long as you're going to be a shill for corporate America's lies about the civil justice system, you should at least try to get your facts straight.

I agree 100%. It's just ONE of the reasons I hate all those People's Court type shows. Besides the fact that they are trashy, they encourage the idea that court is the solution to every disappointment. I suppose it's better than violence being the answer, but isn't there some more intelligent answer? :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's called doing the right thing. Unfortunately, corporations aren't known for doing that and have to get sued. If insurance companies paid claims instead of calculating how much the lawyers would cost vs. settling the claim they wouldn't be sued. Just ask your doctor how often bills are rejected for no reason at all.

Defective Chinese drywall knowingly installed by American companies after they learned of problems. Falsifying mortgage documents to speed foreclosure. This ain't Little House on the Prairie anymore where the kindly storekeep does what's right by his customer just because it's the right thing to do.

Archived