Masks and baby shampoo

Gramsof7

Is applying baby shampoo to the mask a one time thing, or must it be done whenever one snorkels? I hope the all over baby bath is acceptable, because that's all I have in the house. Do I need to take some with me to reapply?

Thanks,

Is applying baby shampoo to the mask a one time thing, or must it be done whenever one snorkels? I hope the all over baby bath is acceptable, because that's all I have in the house. Do I need to take some with me to reapply?

Thanks,

Are you talking about a brand new mask? If yes, just do it once or twice before you leave home (i've always used toothpaste). If no, then I'm not sure what you are talking about...

As for on your trip buy a bottle of defog at a dive shop. Personally, I just use spit. Sounds gross but always works.

Are you talking about a brand new mask? If yes, just do it once or twice before you leave home (i've always used toothpaste). If no, then I'm not sure what you are talking about...

As for on your trip buy a bottle of defog at a dive shop. Personally, I just use spit. Sounds gross but always works.

Yes, I'm talking about a brand new mask. I have toothpaste, and I have spit, so I think I'm safe not bringing the baby shampoo. :D

Thanks, Parrotcruiser!

The toothpaste is for before you use a new mask to remove the film that is left on in the factory. The baby shampoo/water mixture is used as a defogger, and you use it everytime you plan on using the mask. It is generally applied immediately prior to diving/snorkeling as you're suiting up to go into the water. I always carry a commercial defogger with me when I dive or snorkel, but if the boat has a spray bottle with baby shampoo/water, I use that instead.

Some people are able to use spit as a defogger, though that's never worked for me so I have to rely on baby shampoo or a commercial defogger. If spit works for you, you don't need to take the baby shampoo, otherwise you might through it in your bag just in case.

I always use PSI 500 defogger before a dive. Make sure the mask is dry when you first use the defogger before the dive/snorkeling.

Also about the shampoo-I used dawn dishwashering detergent or toothpaste. As long as the film comes off the mask.:) :)

Yes, defog before every time in the water, either diluted baby Shampoo, a commercial defog (500 PSI is my choice too), or spit (which isn't really a good defog for most people).

Toothpaste, not gel, to clean the mast the before the first time in the water. It doesn't hurt to do it again after a year of two of use.

Yes, defog before every time in the water, either diluted baby Shampoo, a commercial defog (500 PSI is my choice too), or spit (which isn't really a good defog for most people).

Toothpaste, not gel, to clean the mast the before the first time in the water. It doesn't hurt to do it again after a year of two of use.

I must have magical spit! ;)

Archived