Ocho Rios - don't miss it

Karysa

For a year or so I read this and other boards preparing for our upcoming cruise. One common thread was the negative comments about cruise stops in Jamaica. The other thing that I could not get over was the physical beauty of the island in picture after picture. I had always wanted to climb Dunn's River Falls ever since I saw the Come to Jamaica commercials on TV many years ago and I knew that I would regret not partaking in that if I was in Ocho Rios. Last week we ported in Ocho Rios and as soon as I looked outside towards the mountains I had a feeling that it was going to be a day to remember. We spent our day climbing Dunn's River Falls, rope swinging into the Cool Blue Hole and tubing down the White River. Our family will never forget it and it will most certainly go down as one of our all time favorite family days together. We did not have any of the negative experiences that I had read about. We did not put ourselves in the position to be approached by people selling drugs and we avoided areas in the tourist areas where we were going to be bugged to purchase unwanted items. We contributed to the local economy by hiring an independent tour guide, tipping each of our guides and by purchasing our Dunn's River Fall's climb and buying some coffee for home. I did not feel guilty in the least not spending my precious port time looking at the regular souvenier stands. The physical beauty of Jamaica is breathtaking, plan well and go out and make some memories that will last a lifetime.

We had the same experience that you had. Jamaica turned out to be our favorite port. I always take negative reviews on these boards with a grain of salt. People come from different walks of life and so do opinions.:) By the way, I read your other post, we also used Peat Taylor and did Blue Hole.

We are going in July. Very concerned with the negative posts, I've been reading. How far is the beach from the port? Carnival offers an excursion to the Bamboo Beach Club. Would you suggest this place for a family?

We are going in July. Very concerned with the negative posts, I've been reading. How far is the beach from the port? Carnival offers an excursion to the Bamboo Beach Club. Would you suggest this place for a family?

I have 4 kids and they have all at one point or another have told me that I am overprotective. We took all 4 of them (the youngest only 6 at the time) to Jamaica and did a private tour. We NEVER felt threatened.

I don't know how far Bamboo Beach Club is from pier, but if it is a ship sponsored excursion you have absolutely nothing to worry about. We actually walked around the stores outside the Ocho Rios pier gate and never felt threatened. Jamaican people are very friendly.

Have a great time...and don't believe everything you read here on Cruise Critic and this is coming from a HUGE Cruise Critic fan.:)

The only negative thing that I heard from cruisers last week that went to the Bamboo Beach Club was that it was a boozefest. There were a lot of college aged kids on our cruise who tend to choose all-inclusive beach/bar clubs to hang out at for the day.

How about a catamaran excursion or Mystic Mountain?

I chose KnowJamaica for our day trip from our Carnival Freedom cruise based on all the great reviews and I agree with them. Patricia was very personal and knowledgeable. She adjusted our touring schedule due to a local carnival and what she thought we would like. She took the 10 of us to the White River and explained the culture of the island. "No problem... only situation!" The tubing and beach were fun and relaxing. Lunch was very enjoyable and we treated our hosts for the fine visit they provided. Highly recommend KnowJamaica as your tour guides. Marva Shaw is obviously treated as a VIP when she brings her group, who are then also treated as VIP's! Feel free to feel safe and secure when you are with KnowJamaica!

Enjoy the natural beauty of Jamaica by booking a private tour. Ours was called the Irie Jam tour. We didn't want to be hassled in a shopping area and our tour was safe, secure and serene!

For a year or so I read this and other boards preparing for our upcoming cruise. One common thread was the negative comments about cruise stops in Jamaica. The other thing that I could not get over was the physical beauty of the island in picture after picture. I had always wanted to climb Dunn's River Falls ever since I saw the Come to Jamaica commercials on TV many years ago and I knew that I would regret not partaking in that if I was in Ocho Rios. Last week we ported in Ocho Rios and as soon as I looked outside towards the mountains I had a feeling that it was going to be a day to remember. We spent our day climbing Dunn's River Falls, rope swinging into the Cool Blue Hole and tubing down the White River. Our family will never forget it and it will most certainly go down as one of our all time favorite family days together. We did not have any of the negative experiences that I had read about. We did not put ourselves in the position to be approached by people selling drugs and we avoided areas in the tourist areas where we were going to be bugged to purchase unwanted items. We contributed to the local economy by hiring an independent tour guide, tipping each of our guides and by purchasing our Dunn's River Fall's climb and buying some coffee for home. I did not feel guilty in the least not spending my precious port time looking at the regular souvenier stands. The physical beauty of Jamaica is breathtaking, plan well and go out and make some memories that will last a lifetime.

Glad you enjoyed Ocho Rios. I never did understand all the negative comments thrown at Ocho Rios and Jamaica in general. I know everyone's experience's can be different but the island itself is beautiful. Over the years I've alway been one to defend this island. I've done many land vacations and highly recommend the west end and Negril. Next week I'll be making my second cruise stop to Ocho Rios and can't wait to be back.

Irie!

Glad you enjoyed Ocho Rios. I never did understand all the negative comments thrown at Ocho Rios and Jamaica in general. I know everyone's experience's can be different but the island itself is beautiful. Over the years I've alway been one to defend this island. I've done many land vacations and highly recommend the west end and Negril. Next week I'll be making my second cruise stop to Ocho Rios and can't wait to be back.

Irie!

I think for all newbies to Jamaica and Ocho Rios in particular it is a port that requires planning and probably an excursion for most. It was one of my favorite cruise days ever and that totally surprised me. Enjoy your day there next week.

I'm glad you had fun in Ocho Rios. It is still NUMBER ONE on my list of nasty,dirty,filthy places on earth that I have visited. And I had a tour guide.

You made so many nasty comments without telling us details. Can you please give more details on why you feel the way you do....where you went....what you did to make you hate an entire country so much.

I'm glad you had fun in Ocho Rios. It is still NUMBER ONE on my list of nasty,dirty,filthy places on earth that I have visited. And I had a tour guide.

Thank you. I actually was starting to believe the horrible reviews and then I did some research and took the advise of my sister and I was oh so pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed our day. My review is posted under Liberty reviews so feel free to read it and if you happen to CHOOSE to revisit this place that you talk so nastily of then you can spend your day like I did and change your mind about Ocho Rios.

Thank you. I feel Jamaica is absolutely beautiful!!! Every time I say that someone blasts me about how bad they think it is. I have been twice and am going again next January. It reminds me of Hawaii, yes Hawaii. Not the beaches, the scenery. Looking for something this time that I can do with a 26 yr old, 21, yr old, 8 yr old and 1 yr old. :D I am thinking Dunn River Falls and the 26 yr old can watch the 1 yr old and enjoy it from the side.

Thank you. I feel Jamaica is absolutely beautiful!!! Every time I say that someone blasts me about how bad they think it is. I have been twice and am going again next January. It reminds me of Hawaii, yes Hawaii. Not the beaches, the scenery. Looking for something this time that I can do with a 26 yr old, 21, yr old, 8 yr old and 1 yr old. :D I am thinking Dunn River Falls and the 26 yr old can watch the 1 yr old and enjoy it from the side.

Our day in OR followed our day in Grand Cayman. We had a wonderful day there as well on our stingray/snorkel/beach adventure and we drove from the other side of the island back to the ship so we got to get a good look at GC. In sheer beauty it pales to OR in my opinion. I am more interested in the natural splendor of the islands, I can see seaside mansions leaving from the port in Miami.

Hawaii has always been on my list of places to go and now you've bumped it up a couple of notches.:)

Archived