Fun Time in Cozumel

My husband and I are signed up for the Dolphin Swim and Snorkel in Cozumel from 9:30-11:30. After that, we will still have at least 3 hours left. Are there any great suggestions as to what we could do? If we tried to head to Paradise Beach (or is there a better one), would be still be able to find a seat?

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

Definitely stop at Carlos and Charlies -it is a restaurant/pub. My husband & I went there on a cruise from our honeymoon and we are planning to go back this dec. after 17 years. We had the most memorable time there- I highly highly recommend a visit!!!

Actually, since you are already signed up for the Dolphin Swim and Snorkel, you will already have gotten into Chakanaab Park (Dolphin Discovery is inside the park and there is an admission fee). If you signed up through the cruise line, the shore excursion covers the admission price. If you booked it privately through DD, then you'll have to pay when you get there. However, once you are inside, you might as well stay there.

We walked down the beach a little and set up on the beach near the La Laguna restaurant. We ordered lunch from La Laguna and they brought it to us out on the beach. Then DW took a nap on the beach and I took my snorkel gear a little farther down the beach, rented fins and went out in the ocean and snorkeled for about 45 min to an hour. I came back and we went walking on the beach a little. There is a small mini-golf course in the park, a miniature ruins that you can visit and a nice long beach. It was a nice afternoon. Since we had a very long stay in Cozumel (we didn't leave port until 20:00), we went back to the ship, dropped off our things, then headed back out, took a cab downtown and spent a little over an hour shopping and walking down the street.

Actually, since you are already signed up for the Dolphin Swim and Snorkel, you will already have gotten into Chakanaab Park (Dolphin Discovery is inside the park and there is an admission fee). If you signed up through the cruise line, the shore excursion covers the admission price. If you booked it privately through DD, then you'll have to pay when you get there. However, once you are inside, you might as well stay there.

We did book through the ship, so we will already be there. Do you recommend this beach over Paradise Beach. Are there hammocks there and white sand?

Since you'll already be in Chakanaab National Park, stay there and go to the beach. Chakanaab is a reef, and it has some of the best snorkeling that we've ever experienced (much better than Coral Gardens in Grand Cayman). It's very reasonable to rent the snorkel gear, and definitely buy an underwater disposable camera. If you do want to go in town, you should definitely eat at Pancho's Backyard, for delicious Mexican food in a beautiful courtyard setting (don't miss the guacamole and margaritas).

We did book through the ship, so we will already be there. Do you recommend this beach over Paradise Beach. Are there hammocks there and white sand?

I've never been to PB, but I've been reading a lot about it on the Cozumel board. PB Tom is a great personality. However, we had a wonderful time at CP. There are no hammocks (but then I haven't heard of them at PB either). There are plastic beach seats--curved loungers that rest on the ground. The sand is off-white/light brown but has a very similar consistency to white sand and is the soft kind. It's all brought it as I was digging with my toe in the sand and seemed to hit concrete or something like it about 6-8 inches down.

I think you'll have a great time at either place and not having to pay again (although PB is only $5) and not having to pick up and travel to the other site makes it worthwhile to just relax at CP.

My husband and I are signed up for the Dolphin Swim and Snorkel in Cozumel from 9:30-11:30. After that, we will still have at least 3 hours left. Are there any great suggestions as to what we could do? If we tried to head to Paradise Beach (or is there a better one), would be still be able to find a seat?

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

I would head to Paradise beach and have lunch-- never seemed to get overly crowded although it was fabulous!!!!! Clean rest rooms, good food and great drinks,:rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me how far apart Paradise Beach and Chakanaab National Park are? How much would a taxi ride probably cost?

Also, How far in advance should you book the dolphin discovery? We don't sail until Jan 2006. We're thinking of not booking through RCCL, but directly with dolphin discovery. Thanks for the info!:)

If you go to Chankanaab, you will definitely need to take a taxi. It isn't that far, but too far to walk. If you book directly with Dolphin Discovery, book early. Their slots fill up quickly and far ahead.

Journey-

Here is something I posted on a previous thread that made for an awesome day in Cozumel!

"without a doubt book it straight with dolphindiscovery.com. four of us did about a year ago a saved alot of cash. i set it up with dolphindiscovery to swim with the dolphins AND the sea lions. it was $10 for a cab for all of us, $145 per person for the dolphin swim, sea lion swim and included the normal $10 entry into the park. That would have cost like $215 per person had i done it through the ship. Not to mention no one else signed up for the sea lions so the 4 of us had 'em to ourselves for like 45 minutes.

Heres what you:

sign up for the sea lions at 11:00, sign up for the dolphins at 12:00 and then go eat lunch by the lagoon at that awesome open-air mexican resturant on the beach...complete with miriachi band, then if you still want more do some snokel/snuba right out the front of the restuarant or go play the putt-putt course, with a couple hours to spare you can take a cab back downtown and do some shopping, then take a cab back to the pier and knock back a couple of final cocktails at fat tuesday or senior frogs. and finally enjoy the famous "drunk march" with everyone else down the pier to your ship."

That being said, on a couple of other occaisions I have had a hell of a time tearin' it up at Carlos n Charlies but this one at Chankanaab was the best

Journey-

Here is something I posted on a previous thread that made for an awesome day in Cozumel!

"without a doubt book it straight with dolphindiscovery.com. four of us did about a year ago a saved alot of cash. i set it up with dolphindiscovery to swim with the dolphins AND the sea lions. it was $10 for a cab for all of us, $145 per person for the dolphin swim, sea lion swim and included the normal $10 entry into the park. That would have cost like $215 per person had i done it through the ship. Not to mention no one else signed up for the sea lions so the 4 of us had 'em to ourselves for like 45 minutes.

Heres what you:

sign up for the sea lions at 11:00, sign up for the dolphins at 12:00 and then go eat lunch by the lagoon at that awesome open-air mexican resturant on the beach...complete with miriachi band, then if you still want more do some snokel/snuba right out the front of the restuarant or go play the putt-putt course, with a couple hours to spare you can take a cab back downtown and do some shopping, then take a cab back to the pier and knock back a couple of final cocktails at fat tuesday or senior frogs. and finally enjoy the famous "drunk march" with everyone else down the pier to your ship."

That being said, on a couple of other occaisions I have had a hell of a time tearin' it up at Carlos n Charlies but this one at Chankanaab was the best

Well...we've already booked the excursion through RCCL - it is the Dolphin Swim and Snorkel...didn't say anything about the sea lions. We start at 8:30 and were told it is a 3 and 1/2 hour excursion, so we're assuming we'll be finished around noon. Is the open air restaurant still in CP?

Two years ago we stayed at the port and swam at Senor Frogs.

Last year I did SCUBA and then stayed on the ship as we had heavy rains for about an hour.

This year, Carlos and Charlies

If you are in Ocho Rios, Dunnes River Falls and then Margarittaville.

If you are all "beached out" head into town for $1.00 Coronas :) That's what we usually do. The shopping downtown for us is fun. Last time we bought two bottles Jose Cuerevo (sp?) for around $15. Our seapass was pretty low that cruise!

We really don't care much for Carlos N Charlies there. We like the one in Aruba better. Plus at Carlos N Charlies you feel like you are in the states still. I go on vacation to get away, not feel like I am still at home. But, that's just me.

Paradise beach is great. We have gotten there in the mid afternoon and never had a problem finding a beach chair and a friendly waiter.

Cozumel is now our favorite port. Every time we are there we enjoy it even more than the time before.

Have a great cruise,

Bobbie

How early you should book Dolphin Discovery depends on what activity you want. If you just want the basic encounter packages, then you can wait. If you want the Royal Dolphin swim (which is limited to 8 persons/group) then you should book early as those fill up. They only do a limited number of groups in any given time slot and if you are travelling at a busy time of year, then they could fill up. However, if they get filled up, don't completely despair. Bring the 800 number with you and the web-site and check with them the day before. You can order on the web (and if you don't get CyberCabin, you can do this from the Internet Cafe or Concierge Club) or call them on the cell provided your port the day before has cell service. The often have cancellations at the last minute based on ships that change their itinerary and skip the port for whatever reason or for people who booked "just in case"

If you booked the RCI's Excursion desk Swim and Snorkel, you are only getting trip to and from the park, the entry to the park and the Dolphin Encounter. You are not getting the Sea Lions or the Royal Swim (which has smaller groups, more and longer interaction with the dolphins). FYI, you waste a lot of time waiting around with that package. You're only getting about 45 min of water time for about 20-25 people. We saw a couple of those groups. For us, it was well worth spending the extra money getting the Royal Swim from DD directly (not offered through Excursions desk)

The open air restaurant is called La Laguna and is definitely still there (or was last month). It is within easy walking distance of DD.

The snorkelling was good in CP. Not as good as Maui but fine. There are some small patches of coral and a reasonable selection of fish to see. From what I've read on the Cozumel boards, Dzul Ha (sp?) is the best, CP next and PB is the weakest for snorkelling in terms of what you can see. I've never been to either PB or DH so I couldn't say for sure. You might want to pop over to the Cozumel thread to ask there. There are several residents of Cozumel who frequent those boards and answer questions (including PB Tom who is the manager of PB) and CozSally who is one of the seaside masseuses.

Journey,

I guess the 3 1/2 hours includes:

Ride there is about 10 minutes, once you check in at the desk they assign you your time to do the dolphin swim. You may go at 10:00 or 11:00 or whatever. We set our time cuz we booked directly. For instance if your time is set for 11:00 then you are on your own till they call for you. During that time you can snorkel, maybe sign up for the see lions which i highly recommend (it is way more interaction than the dolphin swim), they also have snuba, taking pictures with exotic birds, they even have a putt putt course.

At the end of that if your ride is leaving and your not ready to go cuz you want to have lunch or something just take a taxi when your ready..I think its ten bucks. If RCCL will let you cancel I would recommend it if Dolphin Discovery still has slots available. That way you can set your own time and save some $$$. If not just base your plan on the time they give you for the Dolphin Swim. Your gonna love it!

PB is not far from Chankanaab - we passed C on the way to PB from the ship. We loved PB, we went first thing in the morning, were about the first people there, wonderful facilities, lounge chairs, kayaks, water trampoline, climbing iceberg, water rafts, snorkel gear, great guacamole. Beachside massage and nice covered restaurant if you are interested in that too. We had a nice calm morning on the beach. Then we went to Carlos and Charlies for the raucous, funny afternoon. Best of both worlds for us. We are planning a repeat next time. We left PB around 1 pm and it was starting to attract more people, but it was not overly crowded. Definitely the noise level went up a bit - more families with kids but the morning we had no one around us and were almost alone in the water.

If you booked the RCI's Excursion desk Swim and Snorkel, you are only getting trip to and from the park, the entry to the park and the Dolphin Encounter. You are not getting the Sea Lions or the Royal Swim (which has smaller groups, more and longer interaction with the dolphins). FYI, you waste a lot of time waiting around with that package. You're only getting about 45 min of water time for about 20-25 people. We saw a couple of those groups. For us, it was well worth spending the extra money getting the Royal Swim from DD directly (not offered through Excursions desk)

I thought there was a difference between RCCL's Dolphini Swim and Dolphin Encounter. We booked the swim/snorkel and we are supposed to actually swim with the dolphins in the pool and then snorkel with them in the reef. The Encounter was described as the one where you just stood on the platform. both of these excursions are listed and the Swim/Snorkel was the one we chose over the Enconter. Is this a bad/erroneous choice?

I have seen the difference in prices in past. If the price difference is about $20 I would book the swim. My Aunt did the swim and the dolphins pull you through the water. Also, they will come up behind you and push against your feet and lift you out of the water. She said it was well worth the extra money to swim with the dolphins and she isn't a good swimmer and doesn't love the water too much.

I have seen the difference in prices in past. If the price difference is about $20 I would book the swim. My Aunt did the swim and the dolphins pull you through the water. Also, they will come up behind you and push against your feet and lift you out of the water. She said it was well worth the extra money to swim with the dolphins and she isn't a good swimmer and doesn't love the water too much.

The difference was actually quite substantial - $95.00 for the Encounter and $136.00 for the Swim.

I thought there was a difference between RCCL's Dolphini Swim and Dolphin Encounter. We booked the swim/snorkel and we are supposed to actually swim with the dolphins in the pool and then snorkel with them in the reef. The Encounter was described as the one where you just stood on the platform. both of these excursions are listed and the Swim/Snorkel was the one we chose over the Enconter. Is this a bad/erroneous choice?

I think you made a good choice. I don't remember a reef though. If you check the Dolphin Discovery website you'll see a picture of the large enclosed area where you swim with the dolphins. They aren't allowed out of this area and when we were there wild dolphins outside were distracting the ones inside. Also, on the website, you'll notice that the more expensive prices involve more interaction with the dolphins. We didn't get the foot push, but our group of 10 did get to be pulled back to the platform. What a ride! :)

Here is how the Dolphin Swim and Snorkel is described from RCCL's Shore Excursion page. The part about he reef is in the second paragraph. I'm heading to the Dolphin Discovery site now.

Dolphin Swim & Snorkel Adventure

icon_moderate_b.gif

Approximate Duration: 3 Hours 30 Minutes

Adult: 136.00 (USD) | Child: 136.00 (USD) yellow.gif

The Dolphin Swim & Snorkel Adventure program was designed to add a new dimension to interactive Dolphin Programs. Guests will be greeted by one of our team on the dock where they will receive a brief orientation on the day's activities. Shortly thereafter, they will be transferred to the Park via taxi where they will receive lockers and a dock side briefing by a trainer who will give details about upcoming activities and safety procedures. Following the briefing, swimmers will enter the water standing on a submerged platform for an introduction to their new Dolphin friend. Lots of contact will happen at this portion of the program as you get to touch the Dolphin and pose for a big dolphin kiss. Our professional photographers and videographers will be there to catch all the action.

Next your trainer will lead you into deeper water, wearing a lifejacket, where you will perform various close contact behaviors with the Dolphin such as holding on to their pectoral fins as they pull you around or dancing belly to belly with your new wet friend. During the final part of your experience, you will be asked to don your mask and snorkel to accompany your Dolphin and Trainer into the natural reef area. There you will marvel at the grace and intelligence of these amazing animals as you watch them swim next to you underwater and perform breathtaking behaviors with their trainer. This is the most amazing section of the program as guests will have the opportunity to see the dolphins in a three-dimensional world as they do fast swims, high jumps and other exciting behaviors. Once the guests leave the water, they will have time to rinse off in our fresh water showers and view their video, photos and check out the Boutiques. Free time in Chankanaab National Park is a part of the excursion that will be enjoyed before and / or after the Dolphin Swim & Snorkel Adventure. Note: Transportation back to the ship will be available every hour on the hour. The minimum age for this tour is 10 years old.

yellow.gif

Archived