Luggage assistance at LAX

woodeagle

My wife and I will be flying into LAX on Southwest and flying out on Qantas. This means dragging four checked bags from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4. I know there is an airport shuttle bus which circles the various terminals, but lugging the four bags on and off the bus will be difficult.

Will there be porters to assist, or would a taxi be better?

Anyone familiar with LAX, please offer some suggestions.

Thanks,

Woodeagle:confused:

My wife and I will be flying into LAX on Southwest and flying out on Qantas. This means dragging four checked bags from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4. I know there is an airport shuttle bus which circles the various terminals, but lugging the four bags on and off the bus will be difficult.

Will there be porters to assist, or would a taxi be better?

Anyone familiar with LAX, please offer some suggestions.

Thanks,

Woodeagle:confused:

A lot of times the drivers will help, even when I'm not looking for help. That said a tip, or an offer of a tip, should provide you with all the help you need. $2 per bag or a ...

US_$10_Series_2003_obverse.jpg

will be more than enough.

Thank you for the LAX information. Dragging a roller suitcase thru the door of a tram is one thing, but having to lift the thing up the steps into a bus is a little more difficult.

Thanks again,

Woodeagle

Thank you for the LAX information. Dragging a roller suitcase thru the door of a tram is one thing, but having to lift the thing up the steps into a bus is a little more difficult.

Thanks again,

Woodeagle

The bus drivers will generally help get luggage on and off. The Southwest terminal at LAX is a total zoo, with overcrowded conditions most of the time. You will probably have to fight your way to the bus.

MAKE SURE you know whether you are flying out of TBIT (the international terminal) or T-4 (AA/Qantas terminal with limited Qantas departures). Qantas departs from both terminals.

The bus drivers will generally help get luggage on and off. The Southwest terminal at LAX is a total zoo, with overcrowded conditions most of the time. You will probably have to fight your way to the bus.

MAKE SURE you know whether you are flying out of TBIT (the international terminal) or T-4 (AA/Qantas terminal with limited Qantas departures). Qantas departs from both terminals.

Fortunately the two terminals are next door neighbors.

This is not intended to be a criticism, but I'm always curious about how my fellow cruisers make air decisions.

In this case, I wonder why OP would select Southwest with the baggage transfer nuisance, over United and Continental's flights via Denver and check their bags straight through to Australia. None of the Midland-LAX flights of any of the three are non stop, and UA/CO current fares are actually a few dollars cheaper.

Also, baggage charges shouldn't be a factor, as international rules would apply to both the domestic and international sectors on a single through ticket, 2 free bags per person unless this has changed since my granddaughter flew to Australia about a month ago.

No doubt OP had their reasons, but as I said I'm curious.

We have accumulated miles and points on our SW Visa so as to have free (;)) tickets from Southwest.

Nice to know about being able to move a luggage trolley from one terminal to another. We may just do that. Our confirmation from Qantas reads

"Term 4", but we will certainly double check at LAX.

Thanks a lot,

Woodeagle

OP- Qantas flights to SYD and MEL leave out of TBIT while Qantas flights to BNE and AKL usually use T4. Definitely double-check because it tends to change on a seasonal basis.

As others mentioned, if it turns out you went to the wrong terminal it's a 5-minute walk to the other.

Archived