Spring Break problems

DavidNDC

In early January I was on a cruise on the NCL Spirit (and, not so long ago, I was on the NCL Dawn, both are great ships!) So I go back to the NCL boards from time to time.

It seems that the NCL Spirit had a really bad problem lately with Spring Break cruisers. :(

Here's the link to the rapidly expanding thread on the cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=145467&page=1&pp=25

I don't think you will have to worry about that on HAL. We have cruised Spring Break week (before & after Easter) previously and are scheduled for next week for the Volendam - never had a problem.

From our experience, it is mainly families with children who are traveling on HAL, not groups of college aged kids. :)

One clarification: I wanted to make it perfectly clear that the NCL Spirit cruise I was on was not the recent one where the problems were reported!!! I do not want anyone here to think I am bashing NCL Spirit because I enjoyed my cruise. You can see my review here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=8398

Perhaps I am being overly cautious here but I read my original post and was afraid that I was not clear enough.

Having said that, I agree with the previous poster -- it does not seem like this is a problem on HAL! And thank you, HAL!

I read the first 8-10 posts on that particular board.:eek: Sounds like the Frats put this booking together. I can't imagine this being a University sanctioned event! The Trusties (sp?) would be lynched if they were at Auburn!!!! I really feel for the cruisers though, what a horrible experience! :mad:

I read it as well - again I will reitierate, never had a problem like this on HAL, but we always cruise 10 days over Spring Break. Not sure about a 7-day, but some how, I just don't see this being an issue on any HAL ship. :)

Cruised Zaandam two years ago over our spring break -- very quiet and calm -- families with kids and the usual HAL crowd. Didn't even notice the spring break bit -- that is why we are doing the Zaandam again this spring break (7 days -- we do not get enough time off to do 10 days....oh, retirement can't come soon enough)

I am traveling with my 10 year old DD on our first cruise this Saturday and chose HAL over RCL because of this very reason. I didn't want my child exposed to the college parties that I was sure would be going on at younger oriented cruiselines. My DD would have loved the rock climbing wall but I don't think I could stand the frat party we would have to cross to get to it.

Obviously I'm so excited I can't sleep seeing that it is 2 am and I'm posting a reply.

David,

Thanks for posting the link. What a horror show that must have been!

Another reason why I am glad I cruise on HAL ... can't imagine that happening.

Many of the posters who were on that ship said they did not blame NCL, and they seemed to have made the best of it despite all the problems. I don't think I would have been that noble, had my vacation been ruined in such a way.

I was on the Zuiderdam last year during Spring Break. There were no big problems. There were alot of families with young kids.

It was anoying when it was announced over and over that the outside pool was for kids and the inside for adults and some parents just didn't pay attention.

There was even notices delivered to all the cabins and you'd still see the kids in the inside pool.

That was the only thing I noticed. Otherwise we enjoyed our cruise very much!

Archived