London hotel in August

cruzluvers

Looking for a reasonably priced London hotel in early August before our Marina cruise. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:)

We stayed at The Langham Hotel last August. Lovely hotel/good location/good service.

I'm never sure what "reasonably" priced means ... But we tend to look for less expensive hotels so I'll mention two we like.

One is the Regency near the South Kensington and Gloucester Road tube stations (short walk to the V&A, Natural History and etc. museums), a four star. August rates seem to be €129 plus VAT, which includes a large breakfast. http://www.londonregency.com/index1.asp

We were there last summer and the Regency rates in July were too rich for our blood so we stayed at the Best Western Victoria Palace, a 10 minute or so walk from Victoria Station. Not as nice a room, not as nice a lobby, not as nice a lobby -- a three star. August rates seem to be €69 for a double except on Saturday nights it is €75. Not clear whether that includes VAT, I suspect not.

Visitlondon.com is a good source for searching hotels by location and rate.

Mura

Looking for a reasonably priced London hotel in early August before our Marina cruise. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:)

Not a simple question...

Over the years, I've stayed in maybe 7 or 8 different hotels in London...

There are so many choices...

And, of course, prices go up and down, so what may be a good deal at one time may not be the next...

And, of course, everyone has a different view of "reasonably priced"...

For us, we first look for location...next, we prefer something in the 4 or 5 star range...lastly, we look for that "reasonable price"--which, in our case, means reasonable value for the product...

Last summer, we found an excellent deal on the MayFair:

http://www.themayfairhotel.co.uk/

The location is outstanding--walking distance from Picadilly Circus et al...and about one short block from the Green Park Underground Station...and a very roomy and comfortable room...

A couple of years back, we found a great deal on the Park Plaza County Hall--ACROSS the Thames, not far from the Eye, across the bridge from Parliament:

http://www.parkplaza.com/london-hotel-gb-se1-7ry/gbcounty

It was just opening--brand new, so they were running some terific deals...

The two times prior to that, we stayed at the Rubens...

http://www.rubenshotel.com/

...located right across the street from the side of Buckingham Palace, a very British, old hotel, very quaint, great breakfast...was built originally to house debutantes attending balls at the Palace...we really loved it...but, beware, some of the rooms are quite small...still very good choice...They usually have some "Specials" on the website...

There are loads of others, of course...

Depends on what you want...

You might try looking up London on TripAdvisor.com...check out reviews and prices there...

Also, consider what you want to do in London and what part of town you want to be in...

Of course, for us, this time, we're bypassing London and spending four nights pre-cruise in Canterbury...

Good luck...See you onboard August 10!!

• 3 weeks later...

For your purposes, I assume, you are likely looking to create a rather memorable experience, and as such, Conrad hotel would be an excellent place for your consideration. You have all the bells and whistles, as one would expect from a 5-star place, without the "daylight robbery" prices, most of these places are famed for.

For your purposes, I assume, you are likely looking to create a rather memorable experience, and as such, Conrad hotel would be an excellent place for your consideration. You have all the bells and whistles, as one would expect from a 5-star place, without the "daylight robbery" prices, most of these places are famed for.

Of course, that is a bit "out of the way" as far as most tourists are concerned...

Since my last post here, I was actually successful in booking my post-cruise stay for July of 2012! We were concened as it is a few days before the start of the 2012 London Olympics and London hotels should be going at a premium...

We booked the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge for a pretty good (AAA) rate of £107.10 for Saturday night and £125.10 for Sunday night!

http://www.parkplaza.com/london-hotel-gb-se1-7ut/gbwestmi

Last summer we discovered the Rubens Hotel in London. I consider it a real find. We needed air conditioning at that time, and the hotel had it. The place has a traditional appearance, good service, nice room that you could actually walk around in a little bit, nice bathroom, and fabulously located. Buckingham Palace was two blocks away and Victoria Station was two blocks in the other direction. I don't recall what we paid, but the price wasn't as high as some of the better known places. The price was definitely cheaper than the hotels my travel agent offered. We'd probably stay there on the next trip. John.

Last summer we discovered the Rubens Hotel in London. I consider it a real find. We needed air conditioning at that time, and the hotel had it. The place has a traditional appearance, good service, nice room that you could actually walk around in a little bit, nice bathroom, and fabulously located. Buckingham Palace was two blocks away and Victoria Station was two blocks in the other direction. I don't recall what we paid, but the price wasn't as high as some of the better known places. The price was definitely cheaper than the hotels my travel agent offered. We'd probably stay there on the next trip. John.

Another vote for the Rubens, which may be the best located hotel in London for all around sightseeing.

For whatever reason, it is also the easiest location to catch a cab at ANY hour of the day or night.

Enjoy London!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.:) We have decided to stay our first night at a recommended B&B near Gatwick Airport in Horley, hop the train and go into London for the day. Next day, more London touring, then train to Dover staying at another charming B&B near the "White Cliffs" before boarding on the 10th.

Archived