The Mirubian's Guide to the Galaxy or At Least the Southern Caribbean: A Review

Sherrybaby412

Just a note. Bring one's with you. The public bathrooms require $1.00.

We walked all over the Punda side. We walked past the Floating Market. Venezuelan fisherman bring their fresh fish and sell them. There were also fresh fruit vendors. We spent a few hours just walking and shopping.

SDC10737.jpg

SDC10743.jpg

SDC10738.jpg

SDC10747.jpg

SDC10748.jpg

We went back to ship for lunch and had perfect timing. It started to rain.

We could see this infinity pool from our balcony.

SDC10761.jpg

After the rain stopped, Jenn and I decided to find this pool. It's for the Renaissance Resort. We went in the front door, went to 2nd floor and found our way there. It was gorgeous. It is private and security guards are posted. I'm assuming they did not question us because we didn't have bathing suits on and were there only a few moments.

Another interesting fact is that Del Sol and Diamonds International stores are located under the infinity pool.

We spent some time at Fort Rif and then headed back to ship.

Another great dinner in dining room. I turned in early.

The girls went to the Mexican buffet. They brought me these chocolate balls back. They were delicious.

SDC10766.jpg

I wanted to touch on something that happened after we left Curacao. One of the crew members, a 47 year old man from the Philippines, fell overboard. Evidence pointed to his falling overboard between 11pm- Midnight. It appears he fell from the 3rd deck at the aft of the ship. There was speculation that it may have been a suicide. Either way my condolences to his family. :(

Aruba: Second Port.

SDC10773.jpg

SDC10778.jpg

SDC10779.jpg

We decided to do Aruba on our own. We left the ship about 9. We walked around and did some shopping. First at the Renaissance Mall which is to the left and across the street. There are local stores on the street behind the mall which had great souvenirs.

We had decided to ride the bus to the beach. Cost was $2.30 American for a round trip ticket. I would advise against buying a round trip ticket and will tell you why later. They do prefer you have exact change if possible. I think a one way ticket was $1.75.

We found the bus station very easily. It's directly out the gate and down 2 blocks.

SDC10780.jpg

There's a sign to wait behind. You catch the #10 bus and let the driver know which beach you want to go to. All beaches in Aruba are public so you can go to a resort and use the beach. Just not their beach chairs.

We decided to to to Eagle Beach. It's the closest beach and one of first stops on the bus.

SDC10786.jpg

This beach was beautiful. Water was about 75F and a little windy. Once you got in, it was comfortable. We grabbed one of the palapas in the picture and placed our things there.

We met some people from our ship and swam and talked with them.

We noticed a local food stand down the beach and decided to try local fare. I went and got a boxed lunch that had seasoned steak and rice, pasta and french fries with some kind of heavenly sauce. I also bought 2 20 oz drinks for a total of $10.00. OMG the food was so good and so much. We split it between the 3 of us.

SDC10791.jpg

SDC10796.jpg

SDC10803.jpg

Eagle Beach was so quiet. There were jetskis a little ways down if you wanted to rent them. There were also beach chairs to rent. I do not know the price of either. Sorry.

WE asked the bus driver how often they came around. We were told every 15 minutes. We decided to catch the bus between 1-1:30. We had to be back at ship by 2:30 and the bus ride was only 10 minutes. Plenty of time. Right? :rolleyes:

We waited for 45 minutes. During this time, 3 buses went by on the outgoing route. Each one waved and said 5 minutes we'll be back. They went to Palm Beach to pick up. Well by time they got back to us, they were full and couldn't pick us up. We had about 20 people at our busstop and we were getting antsy. By then it was 1:55. Well we ended up hailing cabs which were plentiful. I had to pay $10.00 for 4 people and got back to the ship right on time.

So I wasted my round trip bus ticket which really wasn't that much. Just annoying and frazzling. So I would buy a one way ticket, wait and see about getting bus back. Then cab fare or another one way bus ticket.

We left Aruba about 3pm.

Sherry, we did the de Palm Island excursion through carnival. It was wonderful especially if you have kids. They had waterslides, banana boats, snorkeling and beautiful beach with chairs and tiki huts for shade. Free breakfast and lunch and open bar and free sodas. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Can post pics later.

Thank you for the review.

We were on this sailing with you! Had a pretty good time, but it wasn't very relaxing as we had our 2-year old with us and he wouldn't stay in Camp Carnival. Of course, not Carnival's fault.

We will sail Carnival again, I'm sure. Just not with a 2-year old.

Can't wait to see the rest of your review! :)

We got on the speedboat to Saona Island at the dock. It was a bumpy 45 minute ride. We had rum and coke along the way.

It was beautiful.

SDC10858.jpg

SDC10864.jpg

SDC10866.jpg

SDC10879.jpg

We spent 2 hours here. There were free chairs, lots of shade, drinks included, a few local shops and lots of space. I have no problem with this but there were a couple topless people. And quite a few banana hammocks. :eek:

Archived