Manzanillo Beach Question

lstrong

Mazatlan has now been changed to Manzanillo. I am looking for a beach to hang out at in Manzanillo that would have tables/chairs/food/drinks - something like Stone Island. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't really want to go to a resort like Las Hadas, but if that if my only option, so be it. Thanks in advance. Laurie

My husband and I went to the beach at Las Hadas and fell in love with it! The pool with a swim up bar and waterfall was great....we had a great time, there are also a few shops just around the corner. If you have not been I give it a try. Good luck....

Mazatlan has now been changed to Manzanillo. I am looking for a beach to hang out at in Manzanillo that would have tables/chairs/food/drinks - something like Stone Island. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't really want to go to a resort like Las Hadas, but if that if my only option, so be it. Thanks in advance. Laurie

We were going to go to Las Hadas but the taxi driver brought us to Playa Miramar instaed,he said it was better. It was our first time there so we didn't know any better. It is a nice long stretch of wide beach with a couple of bar/restaurants,a couple of shops & not many pushy vendors. Tables,chairs & umbrellas were free with drinks & or food purchase. We were there in Nov. & it seemed like we had the place to ourselves.

• 6 months later...

You can get a shuttle bus to Miramar beach right there as soon as you come out the gate from the cruise ship Dock ....they offer just want you want ....

We just got back this week. We got off the boat in Manzanillo and walked around town a bit. I asked the shop keeper about going to Playa Miramar and she said to go to the front of the library (right across from where the ship docks and to the left facing the town) and pick up local bus #1. It was fun, about a 1/2 ride with the locals and the driver let us know where to get off at Playa Miramar. Cost was 60 pesos about 50 cents each.

Then we walked along the beach and chose a restaurant with chairs and an umbrella to hang out at for the day.

Please be careful of the water. It may be because there was a hurricane nearby when we were there, so there was very strong surf and areas with rip tides. I saw my 11 year old starting to struggle and swam out to him and realized we were in a very strong rip. I told him to relax a tread water a bit to calm him, then had him swim next to me as we slowly swam parallel to to the shore until the rip let up and I could bring him to shore. I was very happy that I only had one beer in me when I this happened.

I saw several gringos get knocked down and my husband had to help some little old ladies out of the water. Again, I think it was because of the hurricane, but if you have little ones or drunks with you, watch out for them.

We ended up bringing a bunch of other cruisers with us back on the bus. It was a fun trip back.

• 1 month later...

The information on the bus is correct. Route #1 is a direct route and will get you to Miramar the fastest. The cost is 6 pesos per person and the buses are very safe.

OBNancy is correct on the riptides in the area also. It's not just from Jova. The water comes into Santiago bay and needs to exit somewhere creating the riptides. Watch for red flag warnings as they're pretty good at marking where they are. Another sign is to watch for surfers because they like to ride the riptides out to the wave catching area. It's a lot less work and makes for more rides in. And also always keep one eye on the incoming waves. I like a lot of others learned that lesson the hard way. It's a good idea to watch the water for about 15 minutes before getting in to see what it's doing. That's enough time for a full "set" of waves to come in.

Playa Santiago isn't a good day spot. There's really no umbrellas or restaurants. Playa Miramar and La Boquita are much better places and are in the same bay.

The main difference is the movement of the water. La Boquita is pretty protected and it's very nice for small children. Miramar is more open to the ocean and it can get more waves/white wash which typically still aren't that big.

The only other difference I can think of is you can get to Miramar by bus or Taxi but La Boquita requires a Taxi to get right to the beach area.

Both have good places to sit and enjoy the beach, good restaurants to eat at and small places to do a little "tourist" shopping.

Our house is on Playa Miramar. We've been here 2 weeks and the weather has been beautiful every day! Overcast and mid-70's in the morning, highs in the mid 80's and abundant sunshine in the afternoon. Not many people on the beach yet but lots of cleaning up going on to get ready for tourist season. It will be all ready for the cruise ships- bring your pesos and enjoy:)

Archived