A week away from our first cruise & I'm really worried...

NODAK1979

Read through this review. Its from the NCL Epic but the sheer joyfulness and variety of activities should inspire you.

Now, ask yourself...do you get bored on vacation in general? Probably not, because you find a way to do the things you like. Push yourself to try a few new things and be open. If nothing else, being bored is good. It means you aren't stressed by work, or family, or a long list of household things to do.

Try to read through this and keep posting. There is so much inspiration here, even the most reluctant cruiser will become excited.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386629

I think he is on the cruise right now.

I for one can't wait to find out what he thought. I think it could go either way, lol.

For his wife's sake I hope let himself have a good time, although people can always find the negative if they are on the look out for it!

I just want to enjoy this one, that's all. With the cost that this has turned out to be, I had better. My wife and I are starting to spar a bit about the cost. She kept telling me how this would be cheaper than a traditional vacation, but it's clear that it isn't. And with every mounting thing that we discuss, I get more and more aggrivated with it. I'm basically putting the clamps down on spending on the ship, I know that.

Oh, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...try to gather a positive attitude for your wife. I can imagine she is now frantic that she has you trying to do something you so obviously don't want to!! Just try to put on a good face for her. Try to enjoy the fact that SHE will be happy. Then she will owe you for the next one!! But if its booked and you are going...there is no point going with a "puss on" and being all...This is too expensive...and what have YOU gotten me into.

I know its hard. As a wife and mother, half of my life revolves around what other people want to do. I do what the kids want. I go where my husband wants. Its rare for me to stand up and say..."Wait...." I agonized with booking the cruise for my family. My daughter can barely stand still. She plays on 3 sports teams each season and when she isn't at a game or a practice is out shooting baskets, running, or in playing wii dance. Sheesh that girl can't sit still. And my husband. Hah...vacation with him is a JOKE!!! Its no vacation...its an endurance test. He actually LIKES to stick a canoe on his back and walk through the woods.

Okay, so I guess I am relating myself into your post. Boy this struck a cord!

Good post.

I genuinely hope you get through it and come out...if not a cruise convert, then at least not miserable. A word to the wise. Be cautious of seasickness. It can derail the best of cruiser. Do a bit of research and don't assume because you can fish in the ocean or go on a whale watch that you won't succumb (HAHA...that was me...first cruise! I was off my feet and on the bed before we set sail...I could totally feel the motion before we were moving). I took bonine each night and was fine.

Remember to tell your wife that she owes you big time!! Now smile and try to relax!

Alright, I'm going to do my best. The shore excursions we are doing do sound pretty interesting. I do believe they will be the best part of the vacation.

Hubby wanted to try ONE cruise, so I jumped at the chance and told him it would be ALASKA!! So, we put it off for a year to save up. We figured the best way, both $$$ and time(which is $$$, too), to get to all the destinations was by cruise ship. We did the interior land tour on our own down to the port and then enjoyed the you-know-what out of the cruise. Haven't been able to pick the favorite yet; it changes every time we review our trip or talk to friends.

Guess what? Now he wants to try ANOTHER cruise, totally my pick, cause I did so well planning the other one.:D

We both enjoy museums (although I enjoy that more than her), shopping, hiking, national parks, and road trips.

However, she enjoys laying out in the sun and the beach. The beach I can take or leave. Laying out?? No.

You can do all of this at each port. We love historical excursions and shopping for things we can't buy in the states, or at least at the prices offered in cruise ports. Well, not offered, but haggled for.

And if she wants to do the beach, go for Beginners SCUBA. If you don't dive, it's a good way to see if you might like to learn and to be certified. Or rent a motorcycle and ride with a group around the island. (I wish my wife would do that with me, but that's another story.) There are tons of excursions at every port, and shows and dancing and gambling and wonderful food for days at sea. We read on our balcony and watch the ocean pass us. We have seen dolphins, whales, sea turtles, flying fish. It is very relaxing.

Relax and enjoy it. You might actually like it. Or not. But you'll never know until you try it. Kinda like sushi. I've never done it, but I'm going to.

First drink's on me!!!:D

Archived