How to get to Caye Caukler for 5

sandi1967

HI,

I am looking for ideas to get to Caye Caukler from Belize City. I found the Caye Water taxi....but it seems high....(maybe its not) for $40 per person r/t. There are five of us and it seems like alot to just get to the island. We have done an excursion through Coral Breeze, this time we just want to spend the day there.

Thank you!

Sandi

The previous poster is correct. Those prices are in BZ$. I believe that San Pedro Express charges $20 pp (US$) round trip and Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association charges $17.50 pp (US$) round trip. If you want to take one company one direction and the other one back they both charge US$10 one way.

I was just there a week ago. It was indeed $10 each way with San Pedro. I was advised to buy seperately in case, you couldn't catch one company coming back in time to meet your ship. In the end we we able to use San Pedro each way at a cost of $20 round trip. Just go out the pier area, and turn left and turn left again. It's actually right next to where you dock, but seperated by buildings.

Caye Caulker is OMG, the BEST stop ever! It was PERFECT. There isn't much there, but that's the allure. The only downer was the 45 minute trip to get there. You think it' taking forever! It was beautiful and the perfect day.

So we were considering this as well. There are 4 of us in our group and I've been wondering how easily accessible the water taxi was since I do not feel comfortable venturing outside the gates very far. Sounds extremely close and the price was intriguing to me as well. Does anyone else plan to do this trip? Not that we have to stick together like glue but strength in numbers does make me feel better. We are sailing the week of September 18th.

So we were considering this as well. There are 4 of us in our group and I've been wondering how easily accessible the water taxi was since I do not feel comfortable venturing outside the gates very far. Sounds extremely close and the price was intriguing to me as well. Does anyone else plan to do this trip? Not that we have to stick together like glue but strength in numbers does make me feel better. We are sailing the week of September 18th.

It depends on which company you use.

San Pedro Express is IMMEDIATELY adjacent to the tourism village (where the tenders drop you off). They are separated by a chain-link fence. Exit the TV, turn left, then left into the courtyard area of the first set of buildings (there are some shops & such there, too). SPE's office is all the way back to the water.

If you use the Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association, their office & dock is about a 5 minute walk from the TV. The first block or 2 you'll have a lot of vendors trying to get you to do something with them; after that you'll pretty much be left alone. We walked a bit, then asked someone to make sure we hadn't missed it; they were very friendly & sent their son (12 or so y/o) with us to make sure we found it ok.

I mention both only because of timing issues. Their boats depart with staggered times, so if you've just missed SPE's departure you're better off going to to CCWTA (who will have a departure much sooner than waiting for SPE's next departure).

It depends on which company you use.

San Pedro Express is IMMEDIATELY adjacent to the tourism village (where the tenders drop you off). They are separated by a chain-link fence. Exit the TV, turn left, then left into the courtyard area of the first set of buildings (there are some shops & such there, too). SPE's office is all the way back to the water.

If you use the Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association, their office & dock is about a 5 minute walk from the TV. The first block or 2 you'll have a lot of vendors trying to get you to do something with them; after that you'll pretty much be left alone. We walked a bit, then asked someone to make sure we hadn't missed it; they were very friendly & sent their son (12 or so y/o) with us to make sure we found it ok.

I mention both only because of timing issues. Their boats depart with staggered times, so if you've just missed SPE's departure you're better off going to to CCWTA (who will have a departure much sooner than waiting for SPE's next departure).

This is correct. Seriously, the venders outside the gate aren't as bad as some here make them out to be. I walked with my 4 year old to the CCWTA both directions. It may be a little annoying to have so many venders approach you to ask you to buy something, but it certainly isn't dangerous.

If you are still looking for an easy way to get to Caye Caulker, why not go with Coral Breeze Tours who do leave from inside the Tourist Village & make it a painless way to go.

Look up their web site for this info. I think they offer a discount for groups of 5 & more ?

Enjoy Belize !

Bill in FL

We just got back from Belize and we took the water taxi over to Caye caulker. It cost $10 US PP and I agree with the previous poster- don't buy a round trip ticket because it really ties your hands for the return trip. The water taxi was right on time each way.

As far as getting there- yes it is a little intimidating to go outside the gate because there are several men outside it trying to get you to buy this or that. We had a local teen who asked us where we wanted to go and he took us to the water taxi place and explained it to us. When the taxi wasn't going to get there for a while he took us about 5 blocks farther to the San Pedro water taxi (we tipped him $5). My husband is a good sized man and i felt safe with him there but I wouldn't have if i had just been there by myself.

CAYE CAULKER- we got off the taxi and walked about a block towards the split and there is a blue shack on the left hand side selling snorkling tours. They wanted $40 (we paid $25) each. IT WAS AMAZING!! We went out and swam with nurse sharks and stingrays, then did a long swim out to the reef as a group, then stopped one more place - it lasted about 3 hours and the guide swam and snorkled with us. he picked up the rays and sharks and told us about the area and the fish. Great experience.

I have some great pictures but i don't know how to resize them.....anyone else know how!?

We just got back from Belize and we took the water taxi over to Caye caulker. It cost $10 US PP and I agree with the previous poster- don't buy a round trip ticket because it really ties your hands for the return trip. The water taxi was right on time each way.

As far as getting there- yes it is a little intimidating to go outside the gate because there are several men outside it trying to get you to buy this or that. We had a local teen who asked us where we wanted to go and he took us to the water taxi place and explained it to us. When the taxi wasn't going to get there for a while he took us about 5 blocks farther to the San Pedro water taxi (we tipped him $5). My husband is a good sized man and i felt safe with him there but I wouldn't have if i had just been there by myself.

CAYE CAULKER- we got off the taxi and walked about a block towards the split and there is a blue shack on the left hand side selling snorkling tours. They wanted $40 (we paid $25) each. IT WAS AMAZING!! We went out and swam with nurse sharks and stingrays, then did a long swim out to the reef as a group, then stopped one more place - it lasted about 3 hours and the guide swam and snorkled with us. he picked up the rays and sharks and told us about the area and the fish. Great experience.

I have some great pictures but i don't know how to resize them.....anyone else know how!?

Was that snorkle trip off the beach or did you have to ride in a boat?

Best way to do photos is to put them on an online sight such as photobucket or windows live photo and post a link.

Was that snorkle trip off the beach or did you have to ride in a boat?

Best way to do photos is to put them on an online sight such as photobucket or windows live photo and post a link.

We went out in a boat with 5 other people. We headed directly for the reef but actually stopped in three different places. The second stop we swam along the reef formations for about a mile and then swam back to the boat. I know it seems like a long way but it didn't seem like it at the time because it was such amazing under water scenery!

How was the time with going snorkeling and getting back to the ship? Did you have time to walk around Caye Caulker? Do you know the name of the company you snorkel with? Thanks for the information.

This is exactly what I am wanting to do. (water taxi to Caye Caulker and then take a private snorkel trip from the island) I looked at the coral breeze tour, but I wanted to be able to stay a little longer in Caye Caulker. I will be in port from 8am to 6 pm so we would like more than a 4 hour 45 min excursion. We have been to Belize several times and I know we don't need several hours to walk around the tourism village. There will be 4 of us. Will we have any problem finding someone to take us out to snorkel? We all have our own gear. If you have any advice or tips, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Would like more information on snorkeling tour from Caye Caulker. Any information is appreciated. THANKS!

Most has been covered .. If you have your own gear. There is some interesting snorkeling at the split. No coral but lots of fish. An occasional sting ray or nurse shark.

• 2 weeks later...
I was just there a week ago. It was indeed $10 each way with San Pedro. I was advised to buy seperately in case, you couldn't catch one company coming back in time to meet your ship. In the end we we able to use San Pedro each way at a cost of $20 round trip. Just go out the pier area, and turn left and turn left again. It's actually right next to where you dock, but seperated by buildings.

Caye Caulker is OMG, the BEST stop ever! It was PERFECT. There isn't much there, but that's the allure. The only downer was the 45 minute trip to get there. You think it' taking forever! It was beautiful and the perfect day.

Can you get on this water taxi right at the cruise port? How often do they run?

I just found this information on guidetobelize.info.

There are two Terminals are located close to the Swing Bridge in downtown Belize City is the most convenient location to catch a water taxi heading to the two popular island towns of San Pedro and Caye Caulker. Because one company owns all this water taxi, the price went up, the service is the worst in Belize and travelers are frustrated.

Has anyone used the water taxis recently from Belize City to Caye Caulker? Where they on time and what was the price?

THANKS! Will be there next week!

I just found this information on guidetobelize.info.

There are two Terminals are located close to the Swing Bridge in downtown Belize City is the most convenient location to catch a water taxi heading to the two popular island towns of San Pedro and Caye Caulker. Because one company owns all this water taxi, the price went up, the service is the worst in Belize and travelers are frustrated.

Has anyone used the water taxis recently from Belize City to Caye Caulker? Where they on time and what was the price?

THANKS! Will be there next week!

That info although accurate is old

. You still have the two taxis on in the tourism village and one by the swing bridge. Both cost $10 US each way.

The price increase was about a 45% increase. Still not bad. It hurt the local commuters who need to get to the city from the Cayes.

Thanks Wade! Are the times accurate?

They run on schedule. But they do change times occasionally. Double check the times when you are at the dock.

Some people buy one way on one and come back on the other..If you do this,make sure you confirm the time and the dock they depart out of. Probably wont be the same.

Archived