Will a Rose by any other name get on the ship?

MonaCD

Actually, the name with which I sign all documents, legal and otherwise, including my passport, is Colleen Smith, that would lead me to belive that is my legal name.

That's your signature not your legal name. A very good way to confirm if the signature is yours.;)............................

Don't stress too much about what you are called onboard, just have a great time.

One time I wasn't even on the plane roster.:eek: Just landed at LAX from Italy with the sick DD and the border agent tells me I couldn't have flown in on the flight I just came in on. Had to find the luggage claim check. That was the one time we actually checked in luggage.

My BIL's real first name is Lawrence, which I didn't know until I was married for about 10 years. Everybody calls him Mike, because his middle name is Michael. I asked my DH why he is called Mike and not Larry, and he didn't know why ... there are no other people in the family named Lawrence, so there was no reason not to call him by his real first name. To get around it, he just signs his name as L. Michael last name. He even has his passport signed this way.

(hi everybody! 1st post!)

You can do like I did and legally drop the first name (or switch them if you want to keep it). I had a first name, a second name, and a third name, then finally my last name. It is a little bit of trouble for the name change, but it has saved me many years of complicated paperwork, explanations, and "please call me ----". Now my Social Security Card & my drivers license both say the same thing. The only record I have of that 1st name is on my birth certificate.

You need to send a copy of the legal name change into your vital stats office so they can amend the birth certificate to show the new name. Trust me, somehow, someday, it is going to cause you problems.

For instance, the passport and many other government agencies are electronically linked to your state's vital stats office. If the information does not match, it will be rejected.

Archived