chair hogs

catmech007

The people sitting next to us actually put out a "reserved" sign! after 2 hours we moved it!

Now see this, this I totally agree with. If it had indeed been 2 hours with no one in sight, then it should be okay to remove for someone else to use.

Last cruise we actually found a couple chairs and sat there for about 3 hours.

All that time, no one showed up in the 4 'towel reserved' chairs in front of us.

I would personally like to thank those people for the 3 nice Carnival towels they left us!

At $22.00 per it was a nice gift from someone we do not even know.

(your sunglasses and book are at lost & found)

Seriously, you're proud of committing an act of theft? What role models for the grandkids.

One thing I find funny in all of our "chair hog" discussions. Yes, all the seats by the pool are saved by 7:45. Sometimes they eventually get used, or not. I've rarely seen chair hog avengers overturning chairs and throwing books, potatos, plates and sunscreen onto the floor or into the ocean to claim seats previously reserved.

The thing that galls me is that some people do really need seats by the pool. After chair hogs and smoky smokers, the third most popular topic on this board seems to be unruly kids.

My son loves the pool. I feel that he needs to be watched. There are no chairs available on deck, although several apples, books, sandals and other items are occupying the nearby chairs. Hence, my son is sometimes unwatched, or watched by me but with a reaction time while I get down from the funnel deck to stop him from splashing unoccupied chairs.

I think Carnival should enforce their policy or go to a system of reserved chairs where people willing to be nickel and dimed will pay a lot for loungers for the duration.

They don't bother me. I've been on 8 cruises and have NEVER gotten in the pool. It's usually so packed with kids that I have no interest in getting in. It's probably half piss, it's loud, and it's annoying. I'd rather not lay out there either. People are constantly walking by. It's just too crowded. I'd much rather lay out at the font or back of the ship.

Hubby was in a chair with an empty one by it, two chairs together by some stairs, sort of off by themsleves. Nothing was on the empty chair, nobody tried to sit in it, and if they had, that would have been fine. I come and find DH and start to sit down. A man comes up and asks if we are leaving. I say "no." He says, "If you are gone more than 30 minutes I will take the chair." I say, "We're not leaving." He says, "You can't save chairs." I say, "I'm just sitting down and my husband is rolling over. We're not leaving." He says, "I'll be watching. You can't save chairs. If you leave and are gone more than 30 minutes the chairs are up for grabs."

I don't know who ***** in his Cheerios that morning, but it was so bizarre since we never save chairs, and there were lots of empty ones. Maybe the little two-chair nook was so appealing that he simply had to have it:rolleyes:

The thing that galls me is that some people do really need seats by the pool. After chair hogs and smoky smokers, the third most popular topic on this board seems to be unruly kids.

My son loves the pool. I feel that he needs to be watched. There are no chairs available on deck, although several apples, books, sandals and other items are occupying the nearby chairs. Hence, my son is sometimes unwatched, or watched by me but with a reaction time while I get down from the funnel deck to stop him from splashing unoccupied chairs.

That's a good point about needing to sit by the pool if your kids are in it. Both because you need to make sure they are okay, and because you need to keep them in check if they get unruly.

I can see the post now by a chair hog with prime chair at edge of pool: "There was this bratty kid splashing water, etc, etc, and his parents were nowhere to be seen!" Meanwhile Mom and Dad are sitting several rows back because they can never get one of the prime chairs... sheesh. You can't win for losing.

I think Carnival should enforce their policy or go to a system of reserved chairs where people willing to be nickel and dimed will pay a lot for loungers for the duration.

I was going to say the same thing. I'll bet a lot of people would be willing to pay a nominal fee to reserve a prime chair for the entire cruise. Parents with kids living in the pool for instance, lol.

All that time, no one showed up in the 4 'towel reserved' chairs in front of us.

I would personally like to thank those people for the 3 nice Carnival towels they left us!

This! A thousand times this!

This! A thousand times this!

The problem is, they probably stole 'someone elses' towel to keep from coughing up the twenty two bucks...

22 bucks says the wrong person paid...

The problem is, they probably stole 'someone elses' towel to keep from coughing up the twenty two bucks...

Playing the "probably" game, the easiest secondary donors would probably be other chair hogs.

Sounds like win-win to me. Like chairhog musical chairs. :D

I don't see what the big deal is, really. If we get up to the pool and are with our kids and there's saved chairs then we move the stuff if it's obviously "saved". That would be the ones on the front row with a towel in one, an orange in another, etc... All lined up in a row. We've moved stuff every single cruise we've taken our kids on. If they are with us, it's OUR responsibility to watch them and I'm moving the crap to sit there. End of discussion for me. Not ONCE has anyone said a word to us.

The only time we've ever encountered anything is when a lady was sitting at the end of the row with NINE chair backs tilted up. We just flopped them back over and sat down. She says, "I'm saving those for my friends who are coming up later". My DH says..."Not any more". And down we sat for about 2 hours while our kids swam. She "hummmpfed" and snarled her lip, but she knew better than to argue. Not a single "friend" showed up. :rolleyes:

However, if our kids aren't with us we actually prefer the higher up chairs where there's usually no problem getting one. They're quieter and easier to find. We don't actually like being by the pool, but do feel it's necessary when our kids are with us and chair hogs don't faze us. They can gripe and snarl all day. They'll get over it...or not.

I've even eaten the orange they left to "save" their chair! lol Don't let chair hogs bother you. They have no "right" to the loungers. They are there for all of us to use and they KNOW they are in the wrong. Period. It doesn't upset my cruise in the least to move their crap. Actually, until we get back here to CC, by the time their junk is on the floor they're already out of my mind and I'm having a good time!

We had no problems until the Day at Sea. There were no chairs by the pool by 8:50 am. People put towels, magazines, shirts and bags and then didn't come back till 11 or 12. I got my chair at 8AM on upper deck and I sat in it and watched the show of people hunting for empty chairs.

Breakfast at 7 chair by 7:45 in the sun till 1, lunch, then nap and we have the making of a great day!! :p

Kristy, there was one time I said something to a chair hogger. I asked if I could sit at the end-- not the end covered by her friend's towel-- and you would not believe the invective I got. I guess I don't have the b---s to confront people who believe their poolside chairs are an entitlement.

I don't really like confrontation, but I've learned that many people do.

There was a lot of chair hogging on our cruise. It was the week of Spring Break. It was frustrating. The worst example was when people took our chairs from our rented clam shell and dumped our stuff on the beach.

That may very well be in the world of probability.

In the exact same respect if that $22.00 Carnival towel sits there for hours it will probably be taken by someone else anyway.

:D

Sorry, no guilt here.

I am not one to get mean about it, but if I need a chair and there are many unoccupied saved chairs, I ask the people nearby if they know whose things are in the chairs. If they can't account for the owner, I tell them I am going to use the chair until they arrive. If the owner returns, I will happily get up and find another chair. Only once has anyone returned to the chair I was "borrowing."

I get up early and stay all day. Posts like this make me feel guilty when I get up to grab a drink or food. Geeze, we are on vacation! If the others wanted the chairs bad enough they would have gotten up early too.

Or maybe not. Maybe they had to feed their kid. Maybe they had to do something at the Purser's desk. Maybe they had to get transferred from a chair hog's dinner table. Not everyone is able or willing to get up at 6:45 to plop one's butt on a chair.

All that said, I'm sure I'd love to get up at dawn to sit next to you. I just hope you're not one of those putting bananas, or scarves, books or socks on the nine chairs closest to you.

I don't think has anyone has criticized chair hogs for having a quick breakfast, getting a grapefruit to save another chair, taking a dip or going to the bathroom for 30 minutes or less.

I don't see what the big deal is, really. If we get up to the pool and are with our kids and there's saved chairs then we move the stuff if it's obviously "saved". That would be the ones on the front row with a towel in one, an orange in another, etc... All lined up in a row. We've moved stuff every single cruise we've taken our kids on. If they are with us, it's OUR responsibility to watch them and I'm moving the crap to sit there. End of discussion for me. Not ONCE has anyone said a word to us.

The only time we've ever encountered anything is when a lady was sitting at the end of the row with NINE chair backs tilted up. We just flopped them back over and sat down. She says, "I'm saving those for my friends who are coming up later". My DH says..."Not any more". And down we sat for about 2 hours while our kids swam. She "hummmpfed" and snarled her lip, but she knew better than to argue. Not a single "friend" showed up. :rolleyes:

However, if our kids aren't with us we actually prefer the higher up chairs where there's usually no problem getting one. They're quieter and easier to find. We don't actually like being by the pool, but do feel it's necessary when our kids are with us and chair hogs don't faze us. They can gripe and snarl all day. They'll get over it...or not.

I've even eaten the orange they left to "save" their chair! lol Don't let chair hogs bother you. They have no "right" to the loungers. They are there for all of us to use and they KNOW they are in the wrong. Period. It doesn't upset my cruise in the least to move their crap. Actually, until we get back here to CC, by the time their junk is on the floor they're already out of my mind and I'm having a good time!

Let's cruise together!:D

I am a chair hog and proud of it. Why? Because I don't want a bunch of people around me while I am relaxing. So I save 3 chairs along the rail or wall, I lay on the middle chair and have one on each side. Then save three chairs infront of me. That way I never have anyone around or next to me. I do get a kick out of watching people around 11 am wander around with arms full of stuff (maybe with a couple of kids in tow) looking for available chairs. I want to tell them "There are no more chairs available you idiots, stop sleeping so late". Around 1 pm people start thinking about taking my saved chair, but I always stop them by telling them that those people come go, but do use the chairs. It fends them off everytime. By 3:30 pm I pick up all my stuff and free up 6 or more chairs as I head to my cabin to get ready for dinner.

Here is my plan for a 9 chair territory. If I am next to a rail then eliminate the top row of saved chairs.

X X X

X :) X

X X X

Such a sad person to do this. I can't believe it. I guess you must feel very happy in your little "chair land" making others vacations bad. Congratualtions !:rolleyes:

I have a little bit different problem. IF I want to sit out on deck I need shade due to skin cancer. Some days I will try to grab a chair in the shade and the chair hogs have them all reserved. Sorry but i will "move" their things and take the chair. Trying to avoid sunburn is one thing...Trying to avoid skin cancer and still enjoy the great outdoors is something else entirely

Archived