chair hogs

catmech007

Kristy, there was one time I said something to a chair hogger. I asked if I could sit at the end-- not the end covered by her friend's towel-- and you would not believe the invective I got. I guess I don't have the b---s to confront people who believe their poolside chairs are an entitlement.

I don't really like confrontation, but I've learned that many people do.

Maybe we just approach things differently. I've never "asked" anyone if they're saving the chairs. If someone is sitting at the end of a row with lots of chairs with stuff on them beside them, we literally just move the stuff or flip the chair backs back down and sit without so much as acknowledging they are even there. That's only happened the one time I've already posted about. When they made their comment, my DH just answered in a very matter of fact voice, without even pausing. I think if you act like they are in the right, they assume you think they are. When you make it clear you don't particularly care what they think because they are wrong, they already know based on body language and actions that you aren't interested in their "reservations", then they know that you're not one who's going to tolerate their behavior and they're being called out on their actions.

We don't like confrontation, either, but I'm not about to sit somewhere I can't see my kids so someone can save a bunch of chairs for themselves and people who aren't even there, ya know? Like I said before, I actually don't think much about it until we get back on here! lol It just is what it is and we kind of approach it that way. I'm not sure I have it in me to "ask" someone if I can have their reserved seats. ;)

I want to be clear that we have NEVER taken a seat that is obviously being used by someone. You can tell the difference. If there's a wet towel or bags that are holding someone's book, lotion, etc... on the floor or on the seat you can safely assume those chairs are being used by people who are in the pool, grabbing a bite, in the restroom, etc... I think that's perfectly acceptable! Actually, I think it's fine for chairs to be empty for the 30 minute time frame. Sometimes, things need to be taken care of that take more than 5 minutes. The pics up above are good examples of the ones we know are really empty and just being saved. Those, we take without a single second thought! :D

@Carolinagirl82...we'd love to cruise with ya! We're heading out at the end of April and we can't wait! It may sound like we're meanies, but we're pretty laid back, I promise! lol

good for you! I didnt know the chair hogs made their way into the shade as well

You would be surprised - LOL

Our last cruise the average age was 69. You couldn't find a chair in the shade to be had.

It was pretty funny actually.

We're thinking of bringing our OWN FOLDING CHAIRS that easily collapse and fit in luggage.

Rather than fight, will shove bunches of "reserved" chairs not used for more than an hour or so together, and squeeze our hineys into the sunny spots we need.

Carnival refuses to enforce rules, and we refuse to argue while vacationing !

p.s. Instincts tell us that perhaps as many as HALF of CC readers here are chair hogs themselves !

I hate it when im in the pool and someone moves my stuff!

EXACTLY! How do you know for certain that someone is being a chair hog. What if they're in the pool? Are you entitled to their chair because they dared to leave it unoccupied? I know people do get up early & reserve chairs & I think it's BS. But short of sitting & time how long someone is up from their chair, you can't know when they were last there.

Carnival refuses to enforce rules, and we refuse to argue while vacationing !

I was on The Dream this past week and on the last Sea Day (Friday) I was fortunate enough to get some seats with my family around the main pool. While there were some chair hogs out in full force, the one bright spot to this all was a Carnival Employee who was walking around the entire area with a note pad and pen jotting down what was on the un-occupied chairs and also the time. What made it even better was to then see Carnival Employees coming around to then remove the stuff on these un-occupied chairs that had not been touched in some time.

So, with that said, I think Carnival may start being more proactive about this then we give them credit for.:)

I was on The Dream this past week and on the last Sea Day (Friday) I was fortunate enough to get some seats with my family around the main pool. While there were some chair hogs out in full force, the one bright spot to this all was a Carnival Employee who was walking around the entire area with a note pad and pen jotting down what was on the un-occupied chairs and also the time. What made it even better was to then see Carnival Employees coming around to then remove the stuff on these un-occupied chairs that had not been touched in some time.

So, with that said, I think Carnival may start being more proactive about this then we give them credit for.:)

Awesome! :D

@Carolinagirl82...we'd love to cruise with ya! We're heading out at the end of April and we can't wait! It may sound like we're meanies, but we're pretty laid back, I promise! lol

We're heading out the middle of April and it seriously CANNOT get here fast enough. I don't think I've ever needed a vacation as badly as I do right now! What part of SC are you from?

I totally feel ya on the chair issue. You can usually tell which chairs are actually being used rather than saved 'in case' someone decides to go to the pool later that afternoon. And I, for one, don't mind borrowing their chair! LOL

EXACTLY! How do you know for certain that someone is being a chair hog. What if they're in the pool? Are you entitled to their chair because they dared to leave it unoccupied? I know people do get up early & reserve chairs & I think it's BS. But short of sitting & time how long someone is up from their chair, you can't know when they were last there.

In my experience, you can usually tell who's been there and who has not. The chairs with bags, drinks, books, etc... around them are obviously being used and we'd never touch those, even if they were left empty for longer than the 30 minute required time. I can understand how people may have to go to the restroom and grab a bite to eat and not be able to get back in that time frame. It's the ones like the pics above that we empty onto the floor.

Like I've already stated, we've never had anyone return, which I think is about the rudest thing ever! And only once had anyone say anything to us when they were sitting at the end of a row of chairs with the backs tilted up. We sat down anyway... ;)

We're heading out the middle of April and it seriously CANNOT get here fast enough. I don't think I've ever needed a vacation as badly as I do right now! What part of SC are you from?

I totally feel ya on the chair issue. You can usually tell which chairs are actually being used rather than saved 'in case' someone decides to go to the pool later that afternoon. And I, for one, don't mind borrowing their chair! LOL

We're from Spartanburg. We're actually leaving April 30th on the Fascination! We booked it for HMC. It's our first time there; so hoping we don't miss it. I'm sure a good book and a "borrowed" chair will be just fine if we do, though! ;)

I hope you have a great time on your vacation. There's just nothing more relaxing than a cruise, is there?!

I'm with you on needing one right now, too. Between work and my allergies, I'm literally sick and tired. LOL The pollen in the South this time of year really gets me. Do you guys have that green haze of pollen on everything right now?

We're from Spartanburg. We're actually leaving April 30th on the Fascination! We booked it for HMC. It's our first time there; so hoping we don't miss it. I'm sure a good book and a "borrowed" chair will be just fine if we do, though! ;)

I hope you have a great time on your vacation. There's just nothing more relaxing than a cruise, is there?!

I'm with you on needing one right now, too. Between work and my allergies, I'm literally sick and tired. LOL The pollen in the South this time of year really gets me. Do you guys have that green haze of pollen on everything right now?

This stupid green haze has my allergies whacked out. Between that and the fact that it's only 40 frickin' degrees today...I'm sick of being sick! Gotta love SC though. You know what they say. If you don't like the weather here, wait 5 minutes!

Have a GREAT cruise! I've never been to HMC, but it's definitely on my list.

I'm about 15 miles outside of Columbia. I have family up in ********* and Duncan. I was just up there last week, actually.:)

We are just off the Freedom a couple weeks ago and the chair hogs were out in full force. The sea days are worse. We were trying to find a chair-which there were none,but towels on them,so we asked the lady sitting next to them how long they were gone. She said a long time-more than 30 min. So we moved the towels and sat down. Some time later they came back and had a fit we were in THEIR chairs. They must have been saving 6 chairs because they still had 3 to sit in. We were hurassed for the next 2 hours. We were acused of stealing some books they said that were there (we did not see any).Because we stole their chairs we would probably steal her purse or any thing else they left there. She would not shut up. They said because everyone else does it,then its ok to be a chair hog. No doubt about it we were rude for stealing their chairs. I finally had enough and told her to shut the he!! up. She did'nt but I felt better. We stayed until it was time so get ready for diner and left.:D

I was on this same cruise and also observed the Carnival employee with the notepad. Did you notice that one day the scrolling message on the Large Screen said after 40 minutes and the next day it said 30 minutes? Thought that was odd. Maybe because it was a sea day?

There were always tons of chairs on deck 5 when I looked.

We are just off the Freedom a couple weeks ago and the chair hogs were out in full force. The sea days are worse. We were trying to find a chair-which there were none,but towels on them,so we asked the lady sitting next to them how long they were gone. She said a long time-more than 30 min. So we moved the towels and sat down. Some time later they came back and had a fit we were in THEIR chairs. They must have been saving 6 chairs because they still had 3 to sit in. We were hurassed for the next 2 hours. We were acused of stealing some books they said that were there (we did not see any).Because we stole their chairs we would probably steal her purse or any thing else they left there. She would not shut up. They said because everyone else does it,then its ok to be a chair hog. No doubt about it we were rude for stealing their chairs. I finally had enough and told her to shut the he!! up. She did'nt but I felt better. We stayed until it was time so get ready for diner and left.:D

You should have asked her if she was auditioning on the Jerry Springer show!

Archived