First time Mexican Riviera Scuba - Best spots and 3mm Shorty OK?

New C.C. member here but have been on around 16 cruises (various lines) and pretty much dove all over the carribbean. First time I'll be doing the Mexican Riviera on the Norwegian Star March 29th. I'm wondering which port would be the best to dive and I've pretty much taken Acupulco out of the running based on reading reviews (P.V. Cabo or Xihua-Ixtapa).

I'm also reading that the Pacific can be quite cooler than the carribbean. Is a 3mm shorty wetsuit ample to keep me warm?

New C.C. member here but have been on around 16 cruises (various lines) and pretty much dove all over the carribbean. First time I'll be doing the Mexican Riviera on the Norwegian Star March 29th. I'm wondering which port would be the best to dive and I've pretty much taken Acupulco out of the running based on reading reviews (P.V. Cabo or Xihua-Ixtapa).

I'm also reading that the Pacific can be quite cooler than the carribbean. Is a 3mm shorty wetsuit ample to keep me warm?

You will definately need a full 3Mil suit. The best place to dive is Cabo. Try to get in touch with Manta Dive Shop. They are very accomodating. Will take 1 or 2 people and will meet you at the place where the tender drops you off. Puerto Vallarta is the only other spot that you will be able to dive on your cruise. Cabo is the best spot.

The Sea of Cortes is wonderful. You will be diving in the Sea of Cortes when you dive in Cabo. Next time take a vacation to La Paz, just NE of Cabo. The diving there is outstanding. Especially if you want to dive with marine mammals. There is a plethora of them in the waters surrounding La Paz. As well as hammerhead sharks, mantas and whale sharks.

Wow, I'm not crazy diving in cool water and I'm not that crazy about buying a full 3mm suit just to get wet in the Riviera. Most of the carribbean diving can be done in trunks or the 3mm shorty. I've never gotten cold there.

Thanks for the advice.. Cabo does sound like a good spot to Scuba though. I was checking the underground site out to get an idea on water temps and it appears that they would be close to 80 at this point right?

Wow, I'm not crazy diving in cool water and I'm not that crazy about buying a full 3mm suit just to get wet in the Riviera. Most of the carribbean diving can be done in trunks or the 3mm shorty. I've never gotten cold there.

Thanks for the advice.. Cabo does sound like a good spot to Scuba though. I was checking the underground site out to get an idea on water temps and it appears that they would be close to 80 at this point right?

Not even close. We were in May of 2003 and the water temp was between 72 and 76. You can hit some colder spots around 60-70ft. You can rent a 3 mm suit from any of the dive operations. They all have state of the art equipment because of the number of Americans that live and travel there. Cabo is inhabited by mostly Americans and Canadians. I am in LA and hate going there because it is too American. That is one of the reasons that we like La Paz better - better diving and less touristy.

I've been in the Carribean and on the "Mexican Riviera". No comparison diving.

Mexican Riviera is cold water at Cabo (65-68 degrees). At least to this non-drysuit diving diver. Yes a full 3mm would do ok with me there, but not for my daughter. She was cold even with her three at Puerto Vallarta. The Cruise line advertised Cabo as warm water and a beautiful place to dive.

Don't be fooled. It is cold. I had a 2mm full on the ship at Cabo and left it based on the representations of the "ships dive instructor". I wonder if he has ever been in the water there?

Puerto Vallarta I used my 3mm shorty. We never penetrated deeper than 65 feet and I was fine. Water Temp was in the 72-75 degree range. We dove los arches and a nearby shallow beach. Water clarity was mediocre (poor by Carribean standards).

I would use a 3mm full as a minimum at Cabo or maybe a 3/2mm. I would not go thinner. I used to dive near San Nicolas Island off the California coast, and we used 3/8ths in the early 1970's.

Archived