Engagement ring advice

I am recently engaged- 3 weeks this Friday!- and not sure what to do about my ring on my upcoming cruise. We are leaving this Sunday out of San Juna on the Golden Princess and cruising to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Isla Margarita, and Aruba. Do I wear my ring when we go into port, to the beach, swimming in the pools?

On past cruises I have only worn my good jewelry at night on the ship and worn inexpensive silver jewlery during the days or nothing. But I think I will feel funny without my ring. Right now all I take it off for is showering and getting ready after my shower or for super dirty dishwashing.

I had read somewhere that you could put a bandaid over it or turn it around. But my ring has five stones and the center stone is set up pretty high making it tough to cover wiht a bandaid and if I turn it around I will be smacking the stones into things.

Thanks for your advice!!

Hi Bostoncruisegirl! To start, Congrats!!

I know what you mean! When we went on our honeymoon I wasn't sure what to do. I ended up leaving it on board when in port when I knew I would be swimming. I take it off to shower as well because I am too afraid of loosing it in the water.

When I was engaged we didn't go anywhere vacation wise. Im not a big jewelery person (even now i only wear my band most of the time), yet I wanted to wear my engagment ring everywhere i went as a status symbol. So i can completely understand your delima. Still I think if was I engaged, I would still take my ring off while swimming... I know mine could come off by accident. You have to be careful because you wouldnt want to smack it out snorkling or something..

Also, depending on where I am I try not to draw too much attn to myself while in port, therefore the jewels stay on the ship.

Why not get a fake engagment ring or something to fill the void?

or maybe you could wear it in port, and put it in one of those waterproof containers you wear around your neck.

I never wear my rings when we will be in the water. I leave them in the safe. If we're just wandering around though and won't be going to a beach I leave it on. However, I get the impression my ring is a little more inconspicuous than yours. I've always thought about buying a simple silver band to wear during the day when we travel, but I've never actually done it.

I bring my diamonds but never wear them while in port. They stay safe in the safe. You never know if someone will mug you or it slips off while swimming, plus if you want to bargain in stores it is best to look poor. Wear your jewelry on the ship as much as you want but leave it behind for the ports.

On one cruise I met newlywedsand the husband wore his new wedding ring on a snorkeling excursion and it slipped off on the boat and they never found it. It had diamonds in it.

He was very upset about it. So congratulations and don't take chances with your new jewelry.

I leave anything over $500.00 in value at home. I have gotten a few cz's in white gold and yellow gold to wear. I have my jewelry insured but I still wouldn't want to lose any of it or worry about replacing a stone. During the day at sea or in port I wear a simple band, and at night I wear my cz's. Hardly any one can tell the difference and since I don't feel the need to impress anyone I feel fine leaving my expensive jewelry at home.

For almost 36 years, I have worn my engagement ring everyday, and for every activity except really messy cooking (such as pie dough or meatballs). I swim, snorkel, ski with it. I'd feel naked without it.

The jeweler advised me that proper fit was snug enough that it took some effort to get off, so that it wouldn't slip off.

For almost 36 years, I have worn my engagement ring everyday, and for every activity except really messy cooking (such as pie dough or meatballs). I swim, snorkel, ski with it. I'd feel naked without it.

The jeweler advised me that proper fit was snug enough that it took some effort to get off, so that it wouldn't slip off.

I was starting to think I was the only one! I never take my bands off. Okay, well I HAD to take them off when I had surgery, but that was the only time they've been off my fingers other than for cleaning in 28 years of marriage.

The setting really makes a difference. I prefer the inset stones, I think there is a better name for the setting, but it is low and flush. I have never liked rings where the stones are sticking up high - I am very active and I know I would chip or lose stones. Just not practical for me.

Same here. Going on 10 years married. At five years, the hubster bought me an "upgrade" ring, and even then, I had the original sized down to fit my pinky finger, so I wear both of them now. The only time I take them off is to clean them.

I'd actually feel more uncomfortable leaving my rings in the safe. Our last cruise, we had problems with our safe, and the dang thing wouldn't open! :mad: It took two tries by maintenance to finally get it fixed. The guy had to replace the entire door and its mechanism to get it to work again. I mean, I knew that we could get it fixed and everything, and that I'd get my stuff back, but it was a real inconvenience.

Hi:

Congratulations on your engagement... how exciting!

I always wear my rings on a cruise unless I'm doing an activity that might damage it (climbing the rock wall). It also depends on what port we are going to and what we are doing. I either wear it or keep it in the safe. I think it's a matter of what you prefer to do and what you are comfortable with. Since my fingers swell up in the heat, I never have to worry about my ring falling off. In the cold.. then I have to be more cautious.

Have a great cruise and congrats again on your recent engagement!:)

I always wear my good jewelry. Engagement ring, diamond earings and diamond pendant.

As scarletine said I only take them off to be cleaned.

I always figured they are insured and if I have the real thing, why wear fakes.

Many different countries, over 30 years, never a problem.

Congradulations on your engagement :D

I'm with Andee.

I've been wearing my engagement ring for 16 years, my wedding ring for 15 years, and my ten-year anniversary band for 5 years. I literally never take them off (except for making bread or other messy foods -- then they go in a juice cup on the kitchen window sill). I don't see any reason to ever remove them: why have them if you're not going to wear them?

If you're really worried about losing them, I'd suggest taking out a rider on your home owner's insurance policy. Then you can know that IF you have the bad luck to lose them, it's just a matter of going through the paperwork hassel.

One oddity: I did have to take off all my rings during my last month of both pregnancies. I was terribly swollen, and they were painful.

Try the hospital trick tie a piece of sturdy string ( dental floss works great - tie it you your ring(keep ring on finger) then tie the ring to your wrist. When back on the ship you can cut it off. The floss is so thin it's not very noticable. Works great! Or you can just go to the local Wal-Mart and purchase a $10.00 CZ no one will ever know!! I've done this too.... Good luck and Congratulations.....:)

I would always feel better having them on me rather than in the room.

Don't forget, fingers swell in the heat, it's likely that it wouldn't come off, and the locals have better things to do that target cruisers. Never even heard of a first hand experience with tourist theft.

Maybe I'm a risk taker, but I've travelled a lot and cruised 4 times and wouldn't even think twice about my rings. (My engagement ring is a solitare and my band is channel set with diamonds.)

I am recently engaged- 3 weeks this Friday!- and not sure what to do about my ring on my upcoming cruise. We are leaving this Sunday out of San Juna on the Golden Princess and cruising to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Isla Margarita, and Aruba. Do I wear my ring when we go into port, to the beach, swimming in the pools?

On past cruises I have only worn my good jewelry at night on the ship and worn inexpensive silver jewlery during the days or nothing. But I think I will feel funny without my ring. Right now all I take it off for is showering and getting ready after my shower or for super dirty dishwashing.

I had read somewhere that you could put a bandaid over it or turn it around. But my ring has five stones and the center stone is set up pretty high making it tough to cover wiht a bandaid and if I turn it around I will be smacking the stones into things.

Thanks for your advice!!

Congratulations on your engagement! I've been married for 25 years and always wear my wedding rings and only take them off to shower and at bedtime. My husband bought me a set that we call "the travel wedding set". It's a nice set and I wear it when traveling. I can't go out without my wedding rings because I feel that I am missing something.

I have been married for almost 38 years. I have upgraded all of my jewelry and added to my collection many times over. I really enjoy my jewelry. Every single piece is very well insured for full replacement value and updated regularly.

I do not take my jewelry off, especially my engagement and wedding rings.When I do take my jewelry off, I do put the pieces in my safe, because that just makes sense to me and I cannot wear all of it at one time. My engagement is a 1 1/2 carat diamond and my wedding ring a channel set eternity band, custom designed. I feel that the safest place for these rings is on my body. My jeweler checks the mounts to make sure the stones are not loose. They will not slip off. Diamonds are the one of the hardest substances on the planet. You will not damage them.

One thing that experience has taught me is that although I may feel important to me and people I am with, very few people are really interested in what I am wearing or who I am. People do not really notice your jewelry as much as you think they do. Enjoy wearing it for the pleasure it brings you. Don't worry so much about the possible envy of others you imagine may want it.

I believe you have to be responsible and prudent. Use your safe for pieces you are not wearing. However, I enjoy my jewelry and I always bring it with me for that reason.

My late mother kept all of her jewelry in her safe deposit box at the bank because she feared someone would covet it and steal it from her. It brought her no pleasure because she lived in constant fear of losing it. Remember, things can always be replaced, that is why we insure them.

Linda

• 1 month later...

DH "upgraded" my solitaire and added a diamond anniverary wrap last year. He is insisting that I leave them home for our upcoming cruise. :confused: I just don't think I can do it! I would be more concerned about my necklaces being snatched off or broken. I only take mine off when I do a messy chore and am soooo aware that they are gone the whole time. I just feel naked without them. I feel that as long as they are insured, there really is no risk for me.

Archived