Sensation embarking, how late is too late?

AandBmom

DH wants to check out Kennedy Space center before our cruise. We may try to jam in a quick side trip there before we get on the ship. I know this will be tight and expensive for such a short time there, so we're still trying to work out the pros/cons of trying to do it.

I read that the latest we can get on the ship is 2:30. We typically arrive right at the beginning of embarkation and it goes quite smoothly. I'm hoping to hear some stories about arriving closer to the cut off point (2:30pm for this cruise). Is it insane there? Is there a long wait typically. Any other advice?

On debark day you can actually purchase a Kennedy Center excursion through Carnival. Not sure if you are flying/driving and this is practical:

Kennedy Space Center Maximum Access Pass

Description :*THIS IS A DEBARKATION DAY EXCURSION AND CAN BE PURCHASED ONCE ONBOARD YOUR SHIP*

Enjoy an action packed day touring the restricted areas, IMAX films and all shows and exhibits at the famous Kennedy Space Center.

Duration:7 Hours

I'm assuming the ship leaves at 4:00, so if that is the case then you would have to be onboard by 2:30.The lastest time I would plan on arriving at the port would be 2:00 (at the very, very lastest).

Unless there are an influx of people that have late flights, are trying to do something similar to what you are doing, or there is some sort of delay at the port with boarding, the lines and everything should be pretty short, since there will only be a few last minute stragglers trying to check in.

I personally would probably try do the Space Center the day before the cruise or after the cruise ends just to make the most of it and to keep my stress level down, but if this is your only option, I say go for it...Just keep a close eye on the clock and give yourself more time then what you think you will need get to the port and onboard the ship

Enjoy!

On debark day you can actually purchase a Kennedy Center excursion through Carnival. Not sure if you are flying/driving and this is practical:

Kennedy Space Center Maximum Access Pass

Description :*THIS IS A DEBARKATION DAY EXCURSION AND CAN BE PURCHASED ONCE ONBOARD YOUR SHIP*

Enjoy an action packed day touring the restricted areas, IMAX films and all shows and exhibits at the famous Kennedy Space Center.

Duration:7 Hours

Thanks for the info. We are flying out right after our cruise so we can't fit this in. We are flying in 3 days before our cruise but we plan to do 2 full days at Disney while we stay in Orlando which really only leaves the morning of our cruise. I was thinking if we arrived at Kennedy as soon as it opens and we just did a self tour, we could spend a couple of hours there, then head to port for around 1:30ish.

Thanks for the info. We are flying out right after our cruise so we can't fit this in. We are flying in 3 days before our cruise but we plan to do 2 full days at Disney while we stay in Orlando which really only leaves the morning of our cruise. I was thinking if we arrived at Kennedy as soon as it opens and we just did a self tour, we could spend a couple of hours there, then head to port for around 1:30ish.

You could do that - but honestly, I don't think you'd get your money's worth. I'd put it off until you have the time to devote to it. Also, it would be a shame if you lost track of time and then had to start your vacation out all stressed out - or worse, missed the boat and didn't even get to see the coolest parts of KSC - which are the parts you see while on their tram tour. Otherwise, it's visitor's center stuff, which, while very cool, doesn't give you the inside picture of all they are doing there. It's a very worthwhile way to spend a day!

Archived