Would you get a balcony again?

We were talking to friends of ours today. The subject of balconies came up. The other couple said they wouldn't want a balcony, because they wouldn't spend enough time on it. They like to go, go, go, & not miss anything on a cruise. We have had one since our 2nd cruise, & we would not go on a cruise without a balcony unless we had to for some reason.

I'm curious if anyone did not spend much time on it & would not get one again.

Gail

We love our balconies. We aren't "go go" cruisers - we like to linger over coffee in the morning, cocktails in the afternoon and take in the sea air in peace & quiet. Our first cruise was an oceanview and we've never had anything without a balcony since then.

When we first started cruising, we had outside cabins with just the window, and yes, we found we didn't spend much time in the cabin because we wanted to be outside. Since having a balcony, it is entirely different. We love being out on our balcony with the privacy and quiet it offers. Having breakfast on the balcony is heavenly along with just sitting out there reading a book. It would be very difficult to going back to no balcony.

Since being at sea is the highlight of the cruise experience for me, versus the activities, etc., a balcony is a huge oart of the enjoyment of my sailing.

I would only sail without one an a quick weekend getaway but would rather a land based trip than a cruise without a balcony.

I must also echo the sentiments already stated here- for us we have done an oceanview, inside, and balcony- and once you have stayed in one there's just NO going back. To sit out there in the evening watching the stars on a clear night with the soft sounds of the waves is something you just have to experience. It is so incredibly peaceful. Also, in the morning to watch the sunrise on the ocean is just incredible- it is God's handiwork and you almost believe you are in heaven. It is just that beutiful a sight. If I can't afford a balcony I just don't go until I have saved enough money for one. It is that important to me.

we've got our first balcony coming up this year, and we are excited to see how much better we love it...lol we keep upgrading as we go along too..lol

we found that on our last cruise we wanted to just hang out in a quiet space sometimes, and yes we have been able to find it up there on the decks near the pool, I think we would enjoy it that much more if it was right outside my cabin!

though we are "go-go" types on occasion, when I want to slow down and enjoy the breeze I want a place to do so.

JMOHO (just my own humble opinion)

I love a balcony for all the reasons given and there is nothing better than when coming into port in the morning getting up early and watching it (in your bathrobe)from your balcony instead of getting dressed and running upstairs with everyone else to watch it from up on deck. That's one of my favorite parts of a cruise.

OK, I'll play the devil's advocate. I've only booked inside and OV so far, and I'm afraid to try balcony - I'll be hooked!

Just went to the RC website and took a look at about 15 cruises at random. The average premium for booking balcony over inside on the ones I sampled was about 165%. Another way to put it is that I can buy 5 inside cruises with the same budget as 3 balcony cruises.

Since most of us have a finite budget to be used for cruising, my question is - would you rather have 3 balcony cruises instead of 5 inside cruises over the same time period?

For now, my answer is to take more cruises.

We only will cruise with a balcony.....Love to enjoy coffee delivered by room service 1st thing in the morning....Just to sit out on the balcony and take in the sea air is glorious! Would not sail any other way except maybe in a suite!:cool:

I just don't see that I, personally, would get my "use" of it after paying the extra money for it. Yes, the balconies are nice and pretty--but I cruise for the CRUISE and activities and FOOD (hey, i'm a southern baptist--we LOOOVE food!)--and I just don't think it would be worth it for me.

But for those who have plenty of money to spend, I think it's great! Heck, I'd love to get that Owner's Suite at some point!

We sailed on Jewel 11/14 and the first few days were pretty rough due to extremely high wind conditions. The first night I was so sick - but because I could go out on our balcony and get fresh air it helped so much. As long as I didn't watch the railing going up and down with the motion of the ship I was ok! Would not go again without one!!!!!! Also, the sound of the water and the fresh air was wonderful and breakfast early in the morning on the balcony was awesome!

We've been on 20 cruises and have booked, inside, outside and balcony cabins. No doubt about it, balconies are GREAT and we always used ours a lot. But, if it was a matter of taking more cruises and booking an inside cabin versus less cruises with a balcony, I would definitely take more with an inside cabin.

If I couldn't get or afford a balcony, it certainly wouldn't keep me from cruising - all cabins get the same service and get you to the same places!

Kathy

Archived