Cola of Choice...?

soam2005

Sorry, I just have to post about how much the title of this thread cracks me up. I certainly realize different parts of the country say things differently...but I don't think I have ever heard the term 'Cola' used in Southern California. So, it makes me smile. :D

People here will say 'Soda' or 'Soft Drink', but never 'Cola'. That's awesome. I think if someone asked me what kind of 'Cola' I liked (even though I don't drink soda) I would say, "Coca, isn't that the only kind?".

You do know Pepsi's full name is Pepsi-Cola, right? There are also store-brand colas. A cola is a type of soda.

The thread wasn't asking about soda in general... just asking pax to specify which of the two "main" colas were on board.

You do know Pepsi's full name is Pepsi-Cola, right? There are also store-brand colas. A cola is a type of soda.

The thread wasn't asking about soda in general... just asking pax to specify which of the two "main" colas were on board.

Ummmm...you did see my smiley-face, right? I was simply joking about the fact that we pronounce things differently around the country. Even if you are talking about Coke or Pepsi (or other "Cola's" specifically) I have never heard anyone use that term. I have zero doubt we use a ton of terms out here that people have never heard before either (and probably more...we are weird Californians after all). Its one of the things that make this board enjoyable, talking with people from all over.

In western PA where I went to college, soda meant an ice cream soda. What I call soda in SoCal was called "pop".

My old roommate used to call rubber bands "gum bands", and erasers "rubbers". Must have been that time he spend in AUS growing up.

It's funny to read this thread and seeing the division and passion over something like carbonated drinks. It's almost like another round of smoker vs. non-smoker, booking with NCL or a TA, Epic bathroom lover or hater, or booze smuggling vs. rule followers (I'm a non-smoking rule follower that books with a TA and loves the Epic bathrooms. lol)

In western PA where I went to college, soda meant an ice cream soda. What I call soda in SoCal was called "pop".

My old roommate used to call rubber bands "gum bands", and erasers "rubbers". Must have been that time he spend in AUS growing up.

It's funny to read this thread and seeing the division and passion over something like carbonated drinks. It's almost like another round of smoker vs. non-smoker, booking with NCL or a TA, Epic bathroom lover or hater, or booze smuggling vs. rule followers (I'm a non-smoking rule follower that books with a TA and loves the Epic bathrooms. lol)

Where did you go to college? I actually had a Pittsburghese T-shirt and gumbands, pop, and Jumbo (bologna) were all on it. the "rubbers" must have come from AUS though. I hadn't heard of that one. :D

Oh yes, rubber (for eraser) is definitely Aussie. However I don't call rubber bands gum bands - they are lacky bands!

And to the Cola debate, yes, I defintely understand 'what cola do you prefer?' to mean which brand of cola-flavoured drink. Our generic term for 'soda' is cool drink. Soda water is that pretty much flavourless stuff with bubbles. Not sure what it is called in the USA. In Aus, Pop is a type of music!

Ummmm...you did see my smiley-face, right? I was simply joking about the fact that we pronounce things differently around the country. Even if you are talking about Coke or Pepsi (or other "Cola's" specifically) I have never heard anyone use that term. I have zero doubt we use a ton of terms out here that people have never heard before either (and probably more...we are weird Californians after all). Its one of the things that make this board enjoyable, talking with people from all over.

I did, but... it made no sense because nobody in any part of the country actually calls soda "cola." It's a TYPE of soda, pop, etc. In the south I think they just use "Coke" but I digress.

I hate the term "pop" (for anything other than music) actually. It just sounds so... goofy-ridiculous to me, like "gee willikers" or "golly lolly" or something.

Oh yes, rubber (for eraser) is definitely Aussie. However I don't call rubber bands gum bands - they are lacky bands!

And to the Cola debate, yes, I defintely understand 'what cola do you prefer?' to mean which brand of cola-flavoured drink. Our generic term for 'soda' is cool drink. Soda water is that pretty much flavourless stuff with bubbles. Not sure what it is called in the USA. In Aus, Pop is a type of music!

Same in Southern California :)

Where did you go to college? I actually had a Pittsburghese T-shirt and gumbands, pop, and Jumbo (bologna) were all on it. the "rubbers" must have come from AUS though. I hadn't heard of that one. :D

I got my BS (yes, there's a joke in there somewhere) from IUP out in Indiana, PA

I got my BS (yes, there's a joke in there somewhere) from IUP out in Indiana, PA

Oh, I'm sure there HAS to be joke somewhere with a BS from IUP. You must be young, when I was growing up it was Indiana State Teacher's College of PA, but sorry, I digress from the pop, soda, cola, etc discussion.

Archived