Jerusalem Through Time Excursion

Has anyone done this excursion? I was thinking of going on this one as I have done Jerusalem & Bethlehem before and would like to see Mount Zion and King David's Tomb instead. But I also would like to go back inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and I believe you don't get to go in on this tour. I also want to do the Via Dolarosa again as last time we rushed along it and saw nothing, but not sure if this is included in this tour. Can anyone advise?

Has anyone done this excursion? I was thinking of going on this one as I have done Jerusalem & Bethlehem before and would like to see Mount Zion and King David's Tomb instead. But I also would like to go back inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and I believe you don't get to go in on this tour. I also want to do the Via Dolarosa again as last time we rushed along it and saw nothing, but not sure if this is included in this tour. Can anyone advise?

Hi tummysmummy,

Here is the description of the tour from Thomson's site:

Jerusalem Through Time

Picture this. You're standing on the spot where Jesus was crucified and buried. You're sitting on a hilltop gazing out over Jerusalem. You're taking snap-shots of the room where Jesus ate the Last Supper. It's hard to believe all this is possible in one day. But on this trip you'll see some of the most sacred Christian sites in the world - and it certainly packs them in. First though you'll park on top of the Mount of Olives to see the Jewish cemetery. It's said to be the spot where Jesus taught the disciples the 'Pater Noster', or the Lord's Prayer. In good weather you can see all the way across to Temple Mount from here. Just below is your next stop, the Garden of Gethsemane. This peaceful patch of olive trees has hardly changed since Jesus sat here with his disciples after the Last Supper. Bringing things up to date, you'll head to the Jerusalem Time Elevator. Jump in the simulator and let Chaim Topol, of Fiddler on the Roof fame, guide you through 3000 years of Jerusalem's history. Leaving historic adventures behind, you'll visit Mount Zion and its must-see sights. There's the Church of Dormition, the room where Jesus ate the Last Supper and King David's tomb.. After that, a buffet lunch in the town centre and a walking tour of the old city follow in quick succession. You'll visit The Church of the Holy Sepulchre and Golgotha where Jesus was crucified and buried, the Western Wall, Temple Mount and the Al-Aqsa - Dome of the Rock mosques. Just so you know … The minimum age for this tour is 13 years old. £75.00/£40.00 (10.5 hrs)

It looks as though you do go to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. I haven't done the tour (I'm waiting for your feedback! ;) :D) but I did a list and ticked off where each trip went to try to compare them carefully. Just reading the descriptions I found quite confusing! It's the one I favour on paper but will appreciate getting reviews of your first hand experience - whatever you decide.

I also looked up the time elevator wondering if it would 'waste' too much time as I want to see as much as possible of Jerusalem (and have probably eliminated the Jerusalem + Bethlehem trip on that basis). It only lasts for half an hour (plus getting in and out time of course) so that should take up much less time than going to Bethlehem therefore leaving more time in Jerusalem. (Or that's my reasoning anyway!)

http://www.time-elevator-jerusalem.co.il/en/program.asp?page=jer

Hope you get some responses to help make up your mind. Have a great time - I'll be thinking of you going next week! :D

Hi Kruzseeka and tummysmummy,

Looking at the excursion details it says the excursion time for Jerusalem and Bethlehem is 10 hours and the time for Jerusalem Through Time is 10.5 hours.

So allowing for travel time between the two you get much more time in Jerusalem on the Jerusalem Through Time excursion.

Have agreat time tummysmummy.

Berwyn

Yeah that's what I thought - it does look like more is included in Jerusalem Through Time. I actually looked back at the excursion guide for a previous cruise through and the blurb was the same as on the Thomson website except for a extra line at the bottom that said "Just so you know, these are external visits only".

So... I guess we'll see when I get aboard! Will check with Destination Services and get more info to make my final decision!

Will report back in full on my return! :)

Archived