Formal nights....

NODAK1979

I've read about "formal night" on some cruise lines, even including Carnival. Does Norwegian do this??

I really, REALLY hope not. But if they do, is it actually required or just a suggestion??

I do the whole shirt, tie, slacks thing all week at work. I don't go on vacation to dress stuffy. I get enough of that at the office.

I intend to wear t-shirts, shorts and sandals the entire time I'm on the boat. I doubt I'll even pack a pair of pants....including jeans.

There is no formal night on NCL. The closest they get is a "dress up or not" night, and it's entirely up to you. Depending on the ship, meal and dining room you may need to wear pants and shoes (no flip flops). If you don't want to bring pant or shoes you won't go hungry.

Yes, you may want to consider at least a pair of jeans. As mentioned, you will have no problem at any of the dining venues. I wore my jeans/t-shirt/sandals most,if not all of the time at every dining room during our DAWN repo to S. Caribbean last October.

Like you, I wouldn't consider a shirt/tie/suit at all during my cruise vacation. NCL had 2 "dress up or not" nights on our cruise and I would say less than 20% had dress clothes on, remainder were quite casual, some even had shorts but those who did had clean/ dress quality not jean-cut off or beach type.

Have a good one......... wish i was on the Dawn again.

We hate to dress up. Now retired, we've parked all our 'dressy' clothes for work and obligatory 'events.' That's precisely why we sail NCL!!! and not other lines. The most we dress is casual dress or nice pants/top for me with dress sandals....and for my husband, max Dockers, shirt with collar [can be nice polo knit or Hawaiian or sporty.....but with collar] and "closed shoes," and NCL requirement. This is only for one MDR and one or 2 speciality restaurants which will be specified in the Daily. Otherwise, you can wear even less 'dressy' things. Sometimes my husband just takes Ex Officio clothing....it works. There are Dress Up or Not nights.....some people get all decked out and go to the atrium for formal pictures. It's fun to watch....we go hang out in our jeans after our early dinner and see all the different clothing....for a few minutes....and while it looks nice on others, we remember why we don't do it.

Archived