First time to the Med..Disney Magic 11 Nights....lots of questions.....

BACON227

I don't know. :confused: But if I had to guess, I would say that they would probably allow you to book the guarantee rates while on the ship, but with no onboard booking perks (i.e. the on-board credit and the booking discount). Those guarantee rates are pretty low for DCL, I can't imagine they would add more discounts on top of them.

Now we are keeping our fingers crossed for a good cabin. We've done thie many times on other cruise lines and we have always ended up with an upgraded cabin..........hopefully the trend continues with Disney.......

What's everybody's experience when it comes to booking the guarentee balcony. How long do you think it will be before I get a cabin assignment. Usually the other lines it is within a couple days.......so far it has been over a couple weeks........

What's everybody's experience when it comes to booking the guarentee balcony. How long do you think it will be before I get a cabin assignment. Usually the other lines it is within a couple days.......so far it has been over a couple weeks........

DCL offering this new restricted balcony gty category is a relatively new thing, so there aren't many reports on how it's working. We had a GTY booked last year and we didn't get our cabin assignment until 45 days before sailing. I'd expect you not to get anything prior to then.

Hi Bacon227!

I think that you will love the Magic. I know I do. She is truly my favorite ship afloat today. We were on the Dream in January. What a spectacular ship she is!! The Magic doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the Dream has, but there are a few things on the Magic that I actually like better. The Quiet Cove area immediately comes to mind as having a better set up on the Magic, IMO. I also like the size of the Magic better. I tend to like the "smaller" ships better.

I would upgrade to a balcony without a second thought. A balcony is a wonderful feature to have in general, but in the Mediterranean it is just that much nicer. I understand that the sail-in to Malta is unbelievably beautiful and since it happens in the early morning, your private balcony sounds like the perfect place to be standing.

We will be on the Magic's June 18 sailing! We can't wait!! We've done the Mediterranean before on the Celebrity Galaxy and on the WindSpirit. It's really an amazingly beautiful place, and the ports of call on this sailing are super!

I'm sure you know to check the Ports of Call -- Europe board on here to get very good advice on what to do in the different places.

Hey Almagetty! We're on the same cruise! 55 more days!!!!!

In any event, I am looking forward to alot of different experiences and can't wait to be on DCL. I've done RC and Carnival in Caribbean before so this will be our first Med and first DCL. We have a balcony and I am glad to hear you say that it will be worth it. I can't wait!!

Hey Almagetty! We're on the same cruise! 55 more days!!!!!

In any event, I am looking forward to alot of different experiences and can't wait to be on DCL. I've done RC and Carnival in Caribbean before so this will be our first Med and first DCL. We have a balcony and I am glad to hear you say that it will be worth it. I can't wait!!

We're getting more excited by the day!! :D

I know May is going to fly by, since we have graduations & birthdays to look forward to and a niece's wedding. And then ... time to cruise!!

DCL offering this new restricted balcony gty category is a relatively new thing, so there aren't many reports on how it's working. We had a GTY booked last year and we didn't get our cabin assignment until 45 days before sailing. I'd expect you not to get anything prior to then.

I have booked a restricted guarantee and so far I haven't got either a cabin number or documents and there is only about 30 days to go...pj

I have booked a restricted guarantee and so far I haven't got either a cabin number or documents and there is only about 30 days to go...pj

Wow!!!!!! The suspense must be killing you. I check every morning and so far no assignment for me either.........sounds like I still have alot of checking ahead of me...........

• 1 month later...

Hi

We're looking forward to our first Disney Cruise and will be doing the med in August.

I have planned all of our own trips, so everything will be DIY, for my sins. We can't afford the Disney prices I'm afraid. The easiest place to do on your own appears to be Monaco. I'm really nervous about Naples, due to the nature of the area and pickpockets, so we are going to Capri on the Hydrofoil and then taking the funucular(?) to the main town. I figure pickpockets won't pay $16 each way for the hydrofoil:D

As for pickpockets, these are everwhere you go, including Barcelona. Just act as you would in say NY and you will be fine. Don't wear expensive watches or jewellery. Leave it in your safe. Get yourself a money belt and just be aware of who is around you.

Don't forget to try the Pizza in Naples and the Geleto in Italy, and have a great time and please do a trippeee when you get back.

There shouldn't be too many kids on board, as the main summer hols don't start until mid July and all the way through August.

Hi

We're looking forward to our first Disney Cruise and will be doing the med in August.

I have planned all of our own trips, so everything will be DIY, for my sins. We can't afford the Disney prices I'm afraid. The easiest place to do on your own appears to be Monaco. I'm really nervous about Naples, due to the nature of the area and pickpockets, so we are going to Capri on the Hydrofoil and then taking the funicular(?) to the main town. I figure pickpockets won't pay $16 each way for the hydrofoil:D

As for pickpockets, these are everywhere you go, including Barcelona. Just act as you would in say NY and you will be fine. Don't wear expensive watches or jewellery. Leave it in your safe. Get yourself a money belt and just be aware of who is around you.

Don't forget to try the Pizza in Naples and the Geleto in Italy, and have a great time and please do a trippeee when you get back.

There shouldn't be too many kids on board, as the main summer hols don't start until mid July and all the way through August.

In 2007 i did my own trips in 5 of the 7 ports of call on an 11 night and saved a lot of money, went where I wanted to go, sometimes with private guides, and not the tourist ''Shops/museums'' and for a family of four saved a lot of money.

With regards to Capri on the Hydrofoil I had done that pre 2007, and advised many people not to do it, as 1/ The ships were poor quality, poor hygiene and poor stabilizers, 2/ Its a tourist trap and you go in herds at that time of year, and 3/ There isn't too much to do/see there.

People who went to Capri on my cruise said they wished they had listened to me and it was as bad as I said.

Sorrento and Amalfi drive are must sees, also Pompeii, you can get a train to Pompeii and Sorrento its quite easy.

Monaco is easy by train just get a tender ticket asap and go up to the train station you can see it from the tender dock, DCL supplies train times.

Pickpockets situation is not as bad as people paint, if you are streetwise there isnt an issue, I have been to Barcelona many times and walked around freely, but central Rome is an issue.

Archived