Fly to FLL or MIA???

cruisgirl

Hi. This is my first time on the boards and my husband and I just booked our first cruise- three night Bahamas on the Fascination on December 2nd out of Miami!:)

My question is what are the benefits of going to FLL over Miami airport? We have seen lower prices for FLL flights but wouldn't the cost even out after you consider transportation costs from the airport to the port?

Also, what hotels do people recommend for Ft. Lauderdale or Miami area for a couple ages 28 and 30?:D We are not huge on night life and would prefer a good beach location, hopefully without a lot of kids, only because this is our first vacation leaving our two (ages 1 and 4) at home with Grandma!

Lastly, when you post on here, how do you include your cruise countdown?

Thanks a lot!

For the cruise countdown view the following thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=58086&page=11&pp=25

We have cruise out of both Fort Lauderdale and Miami, but both time we flew into Fort Lauderdale. When we cruised out of Miami, we stayed at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale that had a free shuttle to and from the airport. In the morning we caught the shuttle back to the airport and caught the cruiseline transfers to Miami. We found airfare into FLL was a much better price and people say the Miami airport can be much busier than FLL.

The only hotel that we stayed at in FLL on the beach was the Sheraton. It was an okay hotel, nice service and clean. We stayed there the night we returned from our first cruise and it was sad looking out our window and seeing all of the cruiseships sailing away without us :( . We were there in late October so the weather was not laying on the beach weather.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know how much a car service would cost from Ft Lauderdale to the port in Miami? We can get much cheaper flights to FLL, and would stay at a hotel there for the night, then just need a transfer from the hotel to the ship on the morning of the cruise???

thanks - these boards are so helpful for first timers like me!!! :o

Car service from FLL to port of Miami is $60.00 plus tip. you can get a town car right outside of airport baggage claim - no reservation needed. We've flown into FLL for the past three years. Much saner, and fares are about $100.00 pp lower than MIA.

Cruisegirl -

If the flights are cheaper into FLL, I would definitely fly into FLL. The airport is much smaller, manageable, and just more pleasant than MIA as it is a major international airport which is generally busy and chaotic.

If you do fly into FLL, consider staying in Hollywood. It is located between FLL and Miami and there are many great properties right on the beach. Hotel prices in Hollywood tend to be a bit lower than the big cities on either side, especially if you choose a smaller property. There's a wonderful boardwalk lined with many restaurants and shops (mostly t-shirt shops). You and your husband could enjoy a leisurely dinner at one of the outdoor restaurants.

For a listing of Hollywood hotels, visit www.visithollywood.org Many of them are reviewed on www.tripadvisor.com

Enjoy!

Archived