Going to school online...and cruising

neo-cruiser

I cruising the dream in about :cool: ....36 days and 5 hours (but who's counting :p). I am currently going to school online for my degree (Healthcare Administration) and I have class the week I will be away. Has anyone been in this position that can give me any tips on assignments and participation. :)THANKS IN ADVANCE:)

I cruising the dream in about :cool: ....36 days and 5 hours (but who's counting :p). I am currently going to school online for my degree (Healthcare Administration) and I have class the week I will be away. Has anyone been in this position that can give me any tips on assignments and participation. :)THANKS IN ADVANCE:)

I've only ever taken online courses, and I just graduated this past December with my BA in Communication. :D I usually ask my professors for the assignments during the time I'm gone and turn them in before we leave. If your school is going by traditional time frames, then that should be around final exam time so they would have to open the exams early for you to take.

You might consider asking the Hotel Director if he/she could arrange an interview with the ship's medical team. I'd bet they have a unique perspective on health care given their remote situation. I'm guessing they would be happy to oblige.

How ever you elect to handle it you need to be aware that the internet connection is a bit doggy, even on the Dream which has the most bandwidth in the fleet.

:)

If the online content is very image heavy or involves downloading large files you may have problems. The service on the ship isn't fast and isn't reliable.

Im planning on doing the assignments early. Im mostly worried about participation, we have to sign on on four different occassions during the week AND participate in class discussions throughout the week. :eek:. Just hping I can work something out with the professors I guess (how come there isn't a "praying" little smiley face...Ii could really use it right about now lol )

i've been away while doing courses online lots of times, and if you can get your schedule up front for the term, then i would just try to do a bit extra ahead of time so that you can spend your vacation time not having to worry about courses. and just tell your prof/instructor your situation and they might be happy to help you out. if i had postings or assignments to be passed in the week of my vacation, i would try to get them done ahead of time and passed in right before i left. then if you absolutely have to get on the internet while on the ship, you can get on just to make sure you're not missing anything. unless your course load is SUPER full, then you should be fine! :o

I got to UOP online and I was originally scheduled for classes the week I was on my cruise. I talked to my advisor about it and decided the best course of action was to take a break from classes. My current class ends this coming monday and I will have a 3 week break until my next class starts. It all worked out because I am getting married the week before our cruise so I won't have the stress of school. My biggest fear was learning team assignments and substantive posts required. I heard internet is very slow on cruise ships and the first 10 minutes of your time is just logging into pages. I think for carnival it was about $100 for 200 minutes.

I am taking classes online my new class starts this Monday and I plan to ask the professor for my work a week early as soon as class starts. Previously this hasn't been a problem but I guess is comes down to how the professor wants to handle it.

I got to UOP online and I was originally scheduled for classes the week I was on my cruise. I talked to my advisor about it and decided the best course of action was to take a break from classes. My current class ends this coming monday and I will have a 3 week break until my next class starts. It all worked out because I am getting married the week before our cruise so I won't have the stress of school. My biggest fear was learning team assignments and substantive posts required. I heard internet is very slow on cruise ships and the first 10 minutes of your time is just logging into pages. I think for carnival it was about $100 for 200 minutes.

I go to UOP too!!!. I am supposed to start my new classes in the 11th and i really did not want to postpone them for a MONTH, a few weeks i would but a month just seems like such a long time . and the assignment, like i mention in PP isnt my biggest issue, its the substantive posts that are freaking me out. :confused:

I am taking classes online my new class starts this Monday and I plan to ask the professor for my work a week early as soon as class starts. Previously this hasn't been a problem but I guess is comes down to how the professor wants to handle it.

exactly...thus the little "praying" smiley I am in need of lol

Bachelors is like a culture shock compared to associates. 5 week classes and the learning teams can be a challenge. I have been lucky to have the same team members so far in the past few classes and we work well together but because of my break I am going to have to start all over again and may end up with people that choose not to pull their weight. Have seen one team in my current class lose 3 people already due to not participating so they are down to 2 people. I feel so bad for them.

This is a very interesting thread because I am in the same situation! My last final is on May 5th and I want to do an online summer course in Human Growth and Development. Classes start the 10th of May and I am looking to book a cruise the week of May 15th. Usually with summer classes there is a test every week because the classes are accelerated.

I've always made the time to work ahead on assignments. I also let the professor know you'll be out of town. You might just lose a few partication points for that week. Post your assignments early. I don't want to do homework on a vaacation especially a fun ship.

Just graduated with my MBA in December and my last year was online.

I've always made the time to work ahead on assignments. I also let the professor know you'll be out of town. You might just lose a few partication points for that week. Post your assignments early. I don't want to do homework on a vaacation especially a fun ship.

Just graduated with my MBA in December and my last year was online.

oh, doing homework during the cruise is NOT AN OPTION :p, dont worry lol. I plan on having my assignments in beforehand lol:cool:

Keep in mind that you can purchase an internet package instead of paying as you go. This will save you quite a bit of money since it seems like you'll be logging in frequently. The bigger the package, the less you pay per minute (I think its like .75¢/min if you pay as go, vs. 40¢/min if you purchase a 100 minute package). These packages can be purchased even if you are using your own laptop. Have a great time!

I teach online classes and do so while on a cruise. I just buy the largest package of minutes and do what I have to do. I have to be online everyday as well as have hour long classes at times. I have never had a problem except that I wanted to relax and enjoy a couple of drinks instead of teaching a class. It will be fine.

I find that the time of day makes the biggest difference when it comes to speed. Sometimes it is very good others it is like a slow dial up. When it is super slow I just get off and try again later unless it is a time that I have to be teaching a class.

I find that the time of day makes the biggest difference when it comes to speed. Sometimes it is very good others it is like a slow dial up. When it is super slow I just get off and try again later unless it is a time that I have to be teaching a class.

Is there any kind of logic to the times the speed is better? night time? morning? sea days? port days?

I am an online instructor and I was able to run my class from my laptop while on the Carnival Glory. I used it in my room (inside cabin) as well as in public areras of the ship and it worked great.

AWESOME! I did not know that I could do that. Good to know. Now, how did you feel about bringing our laptop along, safety wise. I would never suspect the crew of stealing, but you never know, ya know?

My daughter was in a similar situation. She was taking classes not online but her professor had her take an exam on line. the day she was to take her exam the internet was down on the ship. when we went to port the next day she went to an internet shop emailed prof and he allowed her to take the exam. He was unhappy but said she had best be back by the next class-- a Tuesday--we were to fly in on Monday so no prob??? we had plane problems and did not get home until Tues p.m. She did not get to class but prof passed her--now she works for the university!! Moral--don't rely on the internet to be there when you need it.

AWESOME! I did not know that I could do that. Good to know. Now, how did you feel about bringing our laptop along, safety wise. I would never suspect the crew of stealing, but you never know, ya know?

Perhaps I am too trusting. I just left it on the counter in the room:eek:

Archived